snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Techno-Babble » Robots may someday need freedom, study says

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Robots may someday need freedom, study says
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 87 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Robots might one day be smart enough to demand emancipation from their human owners, raising the prospects they'll have to be treated as citizens, according to a speculative paper released by the British government.

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/1221tech-robots21-ON.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We sci-fi nuts considered this possibility LONG ago. [Wink]

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The BBC reported this too:

Robots could demand legal rights

Zachary Fizz is right to be scared of those robot camel jockeys. And since he's a conservative, it's worse than he thinks - apparently they won't just be making us race for their own amusement - they'll be demanding social security and the right to vote, too!

quote:
If granted, countries would be obliged to provide social benefits including housing and even "robo-healthcare", the report says.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is my current opinion, due to change every five mor ten days:

Since nearly all robots are for practical purposes -- and, let's face it, human-like intelligence is not very practical -- I don't think this will be a problem for some time to come. When the first really intelligent robots do emerge, they still won't have the same needs as humans so what they will desire as "rights" may be something completely different than what we consider human rights.

The rights we grant each other are not universal. They come from millions of years of evolution, from our mammal-primate-human survival and reproductive needs. I can't believe that we'll be able to, or even really want to, develop a robot with the same needs, at least not for a long time. In many ways, robots will surpass (and in many many ways already do surpass) human intelligence but it will be a long time (if ever) before they are something we or they would consider social animals.

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crackrzz

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crackrzz   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crackrzz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Animatrix comes to mind...

--------------------
Stand up, slip on the bathtub floor, fling a hand up to balance yourself, and happen to have your mouth open on the downswing. Voila, a new hole in your face.

-Tabby, on how she cut her lip while shaving her legs.

Posts: 5097 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Next they'll be telling us it's unethical to eat the things...

It's a more interesting idea than you'd think at first, though. It might seem absurd that robots could get to the point of campaigning for this sort of thing. But it won't actually be robots campaigning, in the same way that it's not cows that campaign against being eaten, or chimpanzees that campaign against being experimented on.

At some point a group of people will decide that robots have reached a stage of development that means they deserve fair treatment. That's far more likely to happen than the robots themselves deciding, and it would be interesting to see exactly when it happens and how seriously it's taken. At the moment, I imagine most people would think any group campaigning for this to be insane, but robots have already been developed that are capable of behaving in similar ways to insects or lampreys (that is, simple creatures - to be fair, the lamprey robot actually has the brain of a real lamprey so it doesn't really count as an example here.)

There are definitely people who feel that it's wrong to kill or harm insects...

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hubert Cumberdale
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubert Cumberdale   E-mail Hubert Cumberdale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder which religious group will oppose robot rights? And I'll know we're truly in the future when I see a robot pride parade.
Posts: 835 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We're here!
We're robotic!
Get used to it!

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hubert Cumberdale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubert Cumberdale   E-mail Hubert Cumberdale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by One-Horse Open Jay Temple:
We're here!
We're robotic!
Get used to it!

Good, but how about:

We're here!
We have gears!
Get used to it!

Posts: 835 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, Hubert, I tried to rhyme something, but I was fixated on adjectives. I genuflect before you.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hubert Cumberdale

quote:
Originally posted by One-Horse Open Jay Temple:
You know, Hubert, I tried to rhyme something, but I was fixated on adjectives. I genuflect before you.

Thank you kind sir. I wouldn't have even thought to put a chant before you did though. Another came to mind. This is from Futurama though so I can't take credit:

Hey hey! Ho ho! 1 0 0 1 1 zer-o!

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 14 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I wonder which religious group will oppose robot rights? And I'll know we're truly in the future when I see a robot pride parade.
And if you're opposed to robot rights, which mega-retailer or television network are you supposed to boycott?

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hubert Cumberdale

quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
quote:
And if you're opposed to robot rights, which mega-retailer or television network are you supposed to boycott?

- snopes

Well, Best Buy and the Scifi channel for starters. They've been catering to those damn robos for far too long.
Mad Jay

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, if we allow gay marraige, then we open up the doors to people marrying robots

Actually, I know some women who might prefer being married to their vibrator

Oh yeah, won't someone think about the children?

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, it gets even dicier. Some nano-bots could be self-replicating. So is it okay for a robot to abort a replication process?

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
Actually, it gets even dicier. Some nano-bots could be self-replicating. So is it okay for a robot to abort a replication process?

Egads!! That might put a whole new spin on the question of when life starts. What if the nano-bot's code is something like this

code:
function NFBSKit
if(check some condition)
replicate
else
go blind
end if
end func

Is the presence of the if condition analogous to an abortion? or is that routine the robotic equivalent of mastrubation? Will it be illegal to have the specific condition be false? or will it be illegal to put a replication routine inside an if condition?

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"I came here with a simple dream. A dream to kill all humans. And this is how it must end?"--Bender Bending Rodriguez

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages