snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Techno-Babble » Strange Mozilla problem.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Strange Mozilla problem.
Casey, making hot chocolate
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My Firefox has been acting up lately. I figured it was the same problem as I had before, so I followed BugMuldoon's procedure for nuking Firefox and tried reinstalling it.

No dice. Even if I upgrade to Firefox 2, it opens but can't access any webpages- including the home page.

IE works, obviously, but Firefox is dead as a doornail. Any ideas?

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What happens exactly? Does it try to access the page, grind for a while, then tell you it can't load it? Does it tell you immediately it can't load it? Does it grind forever and never go anywhere?

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just tried to open it to be sure...

It says immediately that it can't load the page, and gives the usual "Problem loading page- Unable to connect" script. It's not an issue with any specific site, just Firefox is stuck.

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've tried to do a System Restore, and it's done precisely nothing. My next thought is to copy the Program Files folder off my laptop and paste it in, as Mozilla works there.

--------------------

Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bug Muldoon   E-mail Bug Muldoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Have a look at your firewall and see if FF is allowed.

--------------------
All along the untrodden paths of the future, I can see the footprints of an unseen hand.

Posts: 6912 | From: Flanders | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

I got it to work, by copying the Program Files and App Data Mozilla folders off my laptop. Think I even figured out the problem- it loaded 1.5.09, and the problem recurred. Repeated the above, and it's cured. I think I'll try 2.0.

--------------------

Paulie Jay
O Little Down-Payment of Bethlehem

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paulie Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had the same problem when I installed FF2.

It was my firewall, Zone Alarms (free version) which was blocking Firefox.

This page has a lot of info regarding Firefox and firewalls.

In the end I had to do the following

* Shut down ZoneAlarm (make sure you actually shut it down by right clickng the ZA icon in the system tray and selecting "shutdown ZoneAlarm).
* Open the folder C:\Windows\Internet Logs
(or C:\WinNT\Internet Logs if you're running Windows NT or 2000).
* Delete the file IAMDB.RDB
* If the file BACKUP.RDB exists delete that file as well
* Restart your computer
* Start ZoneAlarm (the file IAMDB.RDB will automatically be recreated)

Note that most of ZoneAlarms configuration settings will return to default so you may want to make a note of your current settings.

Source

Hope this helps [Smile]

--------------------
All the way with Paulie Jay

Posts: 476 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages