snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Techno-Babble » Computer graphics card problem..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Computer graphics card problem..
Mickey Blue
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well as a small handful of you know my main PC (desktop) had some huge problem that resulted in my having to format the hard drive and resinstall everything, including windows, from scratch..

Well its up and running again save for a few problems, most of them minor, except one..

For some reason it is not detecting my graphics card, which is making for some unique problems. So any advice on what to do? I can try calling the maker but its no longer under warrenty so I doubt they'll be much help, besides I figure I can post here now and may have the answers I need before I know it.

Thanks in advance.

-Mike

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SoToasty
Flock to malls with boughs of cash

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoToasty   E-mail SoToasty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Can you give us the computer model number? Or maybe the type of graphics card if you know what it is. Maybe we can find you a link to the drivers?

--------------------
Wherever ya go, there ya are.

Posts: 816 | From: Florida | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The computer is a compaq presario SR1030Z

Not sure off the top of my head what model the graphics card is, I know its a "NVIDIA" model and is 256, but its been a while since I got this set up and have built a number of computers for people, they are starting to run togather.. I'll keep looking

--------------------

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If the card is an AGP, there may be a seperate, special AGP driver that needs to be loaded. Does the system see the card as a PCI device?

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue

I believe it is AGP, but I'm going on memory, trying to find the information without having to crack open the case..

--------------------

Remarkgullabull
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Remarkgullabull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is the card showing up in the device manager? If so, is there a question mark over the device?

--------------------
Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Posts: 1961 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SoToasty

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoToasty   E-mail SoToasty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you haven't replaced the graphics card in the system, go here for the driver.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=1152518&lang=en

--------------------

Posts: 816 | From: Florida | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue

I'm not seeing any card in the device manager, and when I try to configure my screen it says "Graphics Card not Detected, please connect Graphics card" or something to that effect.

And no, havn't replaced anything in this computer, so I'll check into that driver.

--------------------

Mickey Blue

My Video Controller shows up as having a question mark in device manager.. Could that be related to all this?

"Video Controller (VGA Compatible)" Under "other devices"

Tried installing the driver, didn't fix the problem.

--------------------

Mickey Blue

Wait.. Wait.. YES! Fixed the problem.. Whew...

Thanks for the help everybody, but it looks like its fixed.. There is one other issue (that I've found anyway) but I'll give you guys a second to cool down a bit before I post it [Smile] )

--------------------

Remarkgullabull
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Remarkgullabull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Post away, MB. [Smile]

--------------------
Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Posts: 1961 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SoToasty

quote:
Originally posted by Mickey Blue:
Wait.. Wait.. YES! Fixed the problem.. Whew...

Thanks for the help everybody, but it looks like its fixed.. There is one other issue (that I've found anyway) but I'll give you guys a second to cool down a bit before I post it [Smile] )

Have you not heard the saying Strike while the iron is hot?

If you let it cool down you will be banging and banging and still not making a dent.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages