snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Techno-Babble » Need help with read receipts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need help with read receipts
Auntie Witch
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just did an experiment where I emailed one account from the other with read receipts, but if the first account got notified, I don't know where to find it.

I'm using Novell Client to communicate with my administrators, and for documentation reasons, am now wanting to keep track of when I send things, and when they get read, and when I get responses. How do I find out if they're opening my mail? I did a fifteen minute check on the mail I sent to my yahoo account and opened, and there's nothing in my inbox or in the sent folder to indicate that they've been opened. I sent two; one marked mail receipt, and the other marked "notify and mail".

Since it's not working right, I'd also like to know: will the person I send to know that I put a read receipt on it? Does the receipt mark the time it was opened, even if there's a lag in when it gets sent?

Thanks in advance!

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about other clients, but if your recipients are using Outlook or OE, there are three user settings for incoming messages that ask for a receipt upon reading:

Never send a receipt.
Always send a receipt.
Ask me. In which case your recipient will get a dialogue box and they can choose whether to acknowledge receipt or not.

Kind of defeats the object, but if your recipiant chooses not to send a receipt, you aren't going to get one.

Can be useful under certain circumstances, like when the boss e-mails you asking for something outrageous (no I never got your mail.) [Wink]

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Salamander
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Salamander   E-mail Salamander   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Novell Groupwise?

The notifications should be returned to your inbox, provided you haven't set some sort of rule to move them elsewhere. I believe the receipts do not work if you send mail to a non-Groupwise mailbox (ie if you sent it to Hotmail or Yahoo then I don't think you'll get a response).

It's been a long while since I've used Groupwise though so I might've forgotten some of the specifics.

--------------------
"victory thru self-deception"

Posts: 2211 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages