snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Techno-Babble » Stupid question about a computer game

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stupid question about a computer game
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My husband plays the NASCAR Sim Racing game, the home version (I'm not even sure if there's an online version). And, these are his words- because I don't like NASCAR and I don't like this game. While he's in the race, the game hesitates and then sort of catches up to itself and by then, he's gone into the wall and caused a caution.

I thought it was because we had programs running- Weatherbug and Yahoo messenger in the tool bar. I even turned off our virus protection to see if that was causing it. It still hesitates and it makes him cranky (almost like a kid getting mad at a toy- which is sometimes funny, sometimes not).

He wants to know if there's something "wrong", as in fixable; or if it is just some kind of "glitch" in the game. I keep telling him because the game is so "big" and takes up so much space on the computer that it does this hesitation thing. (Of course, I have no idea- seriously).

Any suggestions? He'll listen to you before he'll listen to me. [Smile] Thanks.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The first thing to try is always to lower the settings for the game to see if that allows the computer to keep up. Lower resolution and graphics detail. Lower sound settings. If it works, start restoring the settings one by one until you find it.

Have you run out of memory?

Does it always happen at the same place in the game? That might indicate that there is either a bug in the game or that there is a lot to do for the computer at that point and it just can't keep up.

Are you using a USB mouse? They are not really suited for gaming and may sometimes cause wierd issues with lag or skipping. It has to do with the way the USB port is accessed, which require more CPU power and on occasion can block the system bus. An PS/2 mouse (the round connector) is much easier to read and does not have these problems.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Vanilla Gorilla
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Vanilla Gorilla   E-mail The Vanilla Gorilla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Also have him try going to the website of whoever made the game and see if they have any patches for the game. If it is a newer game there may be an option within the start up to have it automatically look too.

You can also see howe much memory you have available by opening the Task Manager(Hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and then select Task Manager). From there click the performance tab and check out the box that tells you how much Physical Memory there is total and available. If the available memory is low(say less then 128,000k--about 128 meg of ram). Then it could be a memory issue. You can test this by then clikcing on the processes tab and then clicking the Mem. usage column tab to sort of memory used. If you see any processes that are using a decent amount of memory that don't have an owner of SYSTEM then that could be the culprit. Yahoo messenger and similar task bar icons generally don't use that much emmoery by themselves, but you may have a bunch of these small programs running which combined could be wasting alot of resources. Especially if you bought your machine say from Dell or Compaq/HP where they load it up with all sorts of junk.

Just my .02
Good luck!

Posts: 46 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morrigan
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morrigan   E-mail Morrigan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never had problems with my USB mouse. Either of them.

Is the video card the right one for the game?

Morrigan

--------------------
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost, Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening

Posts: 1701 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Have you run out of memory?
Not that I'm aware.
quote:

Does it always happen at the same place in the game?

No, he says it happens randomly during the game, on different tracks, at different times. I thought originally it was from the length of play- because he can play this game for hours, but it doesn't seem to be playing time.
quote:

Are you using a USB mouse?

Yes, but the only time he uses that is during the set-up to click "next". Otherwise he's using the arrow keys.

When he next plays, I'll take him through the settings and lower those to see if that helps. Thanks. [Smile]

*also going shopping for a new non-usb mouse. [Wink]

--------------------
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tell him to have a hunt around this site, they are usually fantastic about beating lag issues in racing games...

Race Sim Central

They have several fora (!) relating to NASCAR games best to do a search within the forum for "frame rate" or "stuttering" and you will find a wealth of info in there.

The site is also brilliant for download add-ons, new tracks and set up tips etc...

A good application to get if your machine is running loads pof processes is "Enditall" which can prioritise the game you are playing.

I can;t be more specific than that, I don;t play NASCAR games as I sometimes like to turn right!

Hans!

My advice would be to turn the graphics settings right down and then begin tweaking them up...

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers

Thanks, Hans. I'll have a look around tomorrow, after my pain meds have left my brain. [Wink]

Morrigan, I didn't see your post earlier- I don't really know if the card is right or not- we merely bought the game and installed it.

My husband refers to the game as "freezing". I kind of have to get descriptions from him as I don't play the game either- and he's not good at expressing himself.

But, I will try out the graphics setting suggestion when he plays tomorrow.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages