snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Techno-Babble » Study: Kids with high IQs grow up to be vegetarians (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Study: Kids with high IQs grow up to be vegetarians
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
Oh, I see now. I'm not sure what the etiquette is if the host just happens to be a hideously bad cook -- make polite excuses, maybe?

Ask if you can contribute a dish. [fish]

No, really.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice try, snap. Been there, done that, got the orders for beverages and/or chips to prove it.

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jaime Vargas Sanchez
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaime Vargas Sanchez   E-mail Jaime Vargas Sanchez   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mags:
I, on the other hand, was nearly a vegetarian as a youngster (I didn't really like any meats other than chicken, and maybe some pork products, and didn't eat meat very often), but have become much more of a meat eater as I grew up. Neither had anything to do with trying to make healthy choices, I just happened to have much healthier predilictions when I was small. Which is why I was bone thin then and obese now.

That hangs a munchkin of mine. "Vegetable" doesn't automatically mean "healthier". You could eat bean casseroles every day, not taste a hint of animal tissue in it, and I doubt you'd be healthier than someone who eats salad and a beef steak, or a grilled sole.

Jaime

--------------------
"Everyone has problems. They only vary in design" - Mama Duck

Posts: 4988 | From: Spain | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jaime Vargas Sanchez:
quote:
I, on the other hand, was nearly a vegetarian as a youngster (I didn't really like any meats other than chicken, and maybe some pork products, and didn't eat meat very often), but have become much more of a meat eater as I grew up. Neither had anything to do with trying to make healthy choices, I just happened to have much healthier predilictions when I was small. Which is why I was bone thin then and obese now.

That hangs a munchkin of mine. "Vegetable" doesn't automatically mean "healthier". You could eat bean casseroles every day, not taste a hint of animal tissue in it, and I doubt you'd be healthier than someone who eats salad and a beef steak, or a grilled sole.

Jaime

Agreed. One can eat a pretty crappy diet of processed sugars and fats on a vegetarian diet easily enough. It is just as easy for one to include lean meats in a very healthy diet.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mags
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mags     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Vegetable doesn't necessarily mean healthier, and I didn't say it did. I just had much healthier eating habits as a kid.

Actually, it mostly has to do with me being a bit lazy when it comes to food prep, come to think of it. I would choose peeled, deseeded apple slices over cookies if both are available, but now that I'm not at my grandparents' house for my afterschool snack, I don't have my grandpa peeling and slicing the apples for me any more. Also, I would choose raw broccoli "trees" instead of chips, but I can never seem to get through a whole bag of the precut ones on my own before they start decaying, and we don't go to the store as often as we should.

The one hired service person I would most want is a cook, who knows my tastes and caloric needs, to have food prepared for me throughout the day. I would have zero problem losing weight, because I naturally am not a big eater, or an unhealthy eater. Most of the unhealthy choices I make are due to convenience rather than intense desire.

Posts: 550 | From: Springboro, OH | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxKaladin   E-mail MaxKaladin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The one hired service person I would most want is a cook, who knows my tastes and caloric needs, to have food prepared for me throughout the day. I would have zero problem losing weight, because I naturally am not a big eater, or an unhealthy eater. Most of the unhealthy choices I make are due to convenience rather than intense desire.

Just the other day, I was telling some friends that, if I ever won the lottery, I'd hire a cook to prepare healthy food for me. I'm convinced that most of my unhealthy eating habits are the result of making choices for convenience rather than health.
Posts: 716 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxKaladin   E-mail MaxKaladin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In college, I knew a girl who claimed to be a vegetarian but ate fish and chicken (and, I think, some other birds like turkey). Sometimes, she claimed she didn't eat anything with a face. Other times, she admitted that her food choices were made on the basis of not eating any animal she thought was 'cute'. Evidently she thought it was fine to eat 'ugly' animals. For whatever it's worth in relation to discussiob of that study, she wasn't particularly bright in any way except manipulating people into financially supporting her.
Posts: 716 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But neither was she a vegetarian. Other than those two minor points, she fits the OP to a t.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

quote:
Originally posted by Mistletoey Chloe:
But neither was she a vegetarian. Other than those two minor points, she fits the OP to a t.

Not being a real vegetarian is why I said "for what it's worth". Then again, given some of the discussion we've had here, I wonder how many people who identified as vegetarian in that study are actually vegetarians and how many eat chicken and fish while calling themselves vegetarians.
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MaxKaladin:
Not being a real vegetarian is why I said "for what it's worth". Then again, given some of the discussion we've had here, I wonder how many people who identified as vegetarian in that study are actually vegetarians and how many eat chicken and fish while calling themselves vegetarians.

I'm going to say 33.6 percent of them. Just a wild guess.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages