snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Techno-Babble » Study: Kids with high IQs grow up to be vegetarians (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Study: Kids with high IQs grow up to be vegetarians
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 206 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As a child's IQ rises, his taste for meat in adulthood declines, a new study suggests.

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/1215vegetarian-ON.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
landmammal
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for landmammal   E-mail landmammal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The researchers found that 4.5 percent of participants were vegetarians. Of these, 2.5 percent were vegan, and 33.6 percent said they were vegetarian but also ate fish or chicken.
If you eat fish or chicken, you are not vegetarian!!! This is a major munchkin of mine. At restaurants, I used to ask if a dish were vegetarian, until one time a server responded, "Yes, it only has a little chicken broth in it." Well, then IT'S NOT VEGETARIAN! I have learned I need to ask very specific questions, and sometimes the server ends up pretty much giving me the recipe for the dish because I ask so many questions about it. I'm not trying to be a PITA; I just figure it's easier to ask a zillion questions up front than to get the food, taste the meat in it, and send it back.

As for the study results: Woohoo! I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!

--------------------
I can't put my arms down!

Posts: 273 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by landmammal:
As for the study results: Woohoo! I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!

No, no, no! It said smart kids are more likely to be vegetarians, not that vegetarians are smart.. [Razz]

Me and my high IQ went for a buffalo burger at lunch, tho...

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bored and Dangerous
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bored and Dangerous   Author's Homepage   E-mail Bored and Dangerous   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm smart, with a high IQ, and I prefer a good steak over all else. I think this may be a "correlation without causation" situation in this study.

--------------------
My blog

Watch?? I'm gonna pray, man! Know any good religions?--Zaphod Beeblebrox

Posts: 2366 | From: Harrisonburg, Virginia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I too consider myself a bit smarter than the average. After all, I'm a snopester. As kid I didnt really liked the meats, though I loved the gravies, as my mom is the Gravy-queen, she could turn pure water into tasty gravy.
But as I grew up I became more and more the meateater.

--------------------
~Reality, the refuge of those who fail in RPGs~
aka Darkfist Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Posts: 334 | From: Lancaster, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bored and Dangerous:
I'm smart, with a high IQ, and I prefer a good steak over all else. I think this may be a "correlation without causation" situation in this study.

Ya think? although, it is possible that, the higher the IQ, the more empathetic, so the more likely to avoid causing pain.

However, that's pretty tenuious, and I'd guess that it has more to do with the fact that both IQ and a tenency to avoid tasty meat products are both correlated with upbringing (the IQ test is, after all, pretty culturally biased).

I, however, tested with a very high IQ, and I LUV me the tasty meats. the rarer, the better.

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mags
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mags     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to IQ tests, other standardized testing, how well I did in school, and what people have told me, I'm pretty darn smart.

I think it's funny the study says that smart children are more likely to become vegetarians as adults. I, on the other hand, was nearly a vegetarian as a youngster (I didn't really like any meats other than chicken, and maybe some pork products, and didn't eat meat very often), but have become much more of a meat eater as I grew up. Neither had anything to do with trying to make healthy choices, I just happened to have much healthier predilictions when I was small. Which is why I was bone thin then and obese now.

I am trying to go back to my younger ways, somewhat, and managed to lose 15 lbs without much effort when I started eating like I did as a kid again.

Posts: 550 | From: Springboro, OH | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was tested as a kid because they thought I had severe learning disabilities. Turns out it was just the opposite. While it wasn't an I.Q. test, I was testing grades 10.2 up to 13.4 in grade 6. They had to find things to keep me interested. Once they did, I started doing well in school.

I preferred meat over veggies growing up. And still do. Pork and very rare beef are my preferred poisons.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If you eat fish or chicken, you are not vegetarian!!! This is a major munchkin of mine. At restaurants, I used to ask if a dish were vegetarian, until one time a server responded, "Yes, it only has a little chicken broth in it." Well, then IT'S NOT VEGETARIAN!
I always come back at "I'm vegetarian, well, apart from chicken and fish" with "Oh, really? How interesting....I'm teetotal apart from beer." Bill Bailey has some thoughts on this also [Big Grin]

coming on the back of a recent story tho....first soy gives you teh ghey, now being veggie turns you smart? perhaps this is the source of the liberal gay-loving veggie academic conspiracy that's bringing down america?

--------------------
Hello, I love you - won't you tell me your name?
Hello! I'm good for nothing - will you love me just the same?

Greetings from the dark side...

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 203 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a pretty high IQ myself, and I still enjoy meat. I'm more partial to chicken and seafood than I am to red, but I do enjoy steak or bacon occasionally.

I tried vegetarianism back in my naive teenage years, but I found it to be too difficult to maintain. I still enjoy the occasional vegetarian meal for the sake of variety.

- Pseudo "ultimate omnivore" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah. I love steak. And chicken. And hamburgers. Now I know that it's because my IQ is only average.

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Magdalene
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Magdalene   E-mail Magdalene   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My dad--146.

My mom--126.

Me--135.

My brother--I forget exactly, but it was in the 160's.

My sister--130.

With the exception of my sister, we're all dedicated meat-eaters. And my sister still *does* eat meat, she's just trying to eat less of it, and so far is only thinking on becoming vegetarian.

Magdalene

--------------------
"Don't mess with me. I dance with swords."

Posts: 1656 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Out of myself, my brother, and my sister, the one with the lowest IQ (sister, and it isn't even *that* low) is the only vegetarian.

Me and my 129 IQ enjoyed a huge Fuddruckers burger last night. [Smile]

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Out of myself, my brother, and my sister, the one with the lowest IQ (sister, and it isn't even *that* low) is the only vegetarian.

Me and my 129 IQ enjoyed a huge Fuddruckers burger last night. [Smile]

Spoonerisms and sleep deprivation don't work well together.

Jona "what the NFBSK is a 'rudd' anyway?" than

--------------------
Hello, I love you - won't you tell me your name?
Hello! I'm good for nothing - will you love me just the same?

Greetings from the dark side...

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the intelligence thing doesn't have much to do with whether vegetarianism is an intelligent thing to do. I think the correlation is just that bright people are just more likely to try something new, and some percentage of them are bound to stick with it.

I was vegetarian for a year and change in college. I was happy and didn't feel like I was missing anything. Then one day I saw some barbeque chicken and said f*** it. I just turned it on and off like a light switch.

During the time that I was a vegetarian, it annoyed me to no end to ask people ask me if I wanted chicken or fish after hearing that I was a vegetarian. I use the word "vegequarian" to distinguish them, but its not a very useful distinction. Seafood and poultry are more appealing than red meat anyway, at least to me.

Sushi is the one thing that will keep me from ever considering vegetarianism again. I hadn't ever been exposed to the good stuff when I was a vegetarian. Nor had I ever had a really good steak at that point either.

Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone who doesn't eat meat but eats fish is a pescatarian. That's what I am but I feel pretty stupid saying it!

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst hringi
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 506 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to be really smart until I lost my mind, and I'm a big time meat eater. Of course, it's only rumored I was smart. I had to take my son to be tested when he first began junior high and he tested very high, and he loves meat too. Of course, although extremely intelligent, he's not very bright, because he eats his meat well-done and anyone with any smarts knows rare is best.

I wonder if there's a lost and found for minds, or just where lost ones are kept...

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buzzkiller
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buzzkiller   E-mail Buzzkiller       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I was tested as a kid because they thought I had severe learning disabilities. Turns out it was just the opposite. While it wasn't an I.Q. test, I was testing grades 10.2 up to 13.4 in grade 6. They had to find things to keep me interested. Once they did, I started doing well in school.
Learning disabilities and high intelligence are not mutually exclusive. ADHD is quite common among individuals with a high IQ. I'm pretty sure I'm one of them. (I'm a highly distractable, meat-eating 142.)
Posts: 207 | From: Alabama | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
More anecdotal and thus worthless information: in my family, my brother's spouse-equivalent girlfriend, one cousin, and her husband are veggie.

They are are brilliantly intelligent, highly educated people.

Everyone else in my family is carnivorous and they are all highly intelligent too. (I'm the village idiot out of the bunch. Alas.)

Seems to me, someone with a lot of intellectual curiosity, which frequently come with high IQ's, is going to question the choices they make, including how they eat, rather than just let those choices be made by default. Default in this country is not vegetarian.

Once one questions that choice, they may or may not end up vegetarian, but more will end up that way out of a group who has questioned it than out of a group who hasn't.

Just a theory.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RLobinske
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RLobinske   E-mail RLobinske   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another inaccurate headline. The survey didn't conclude that higher IQ respondents were vegetarians, just more likely to be vegetarians. Since only 4.5% were vegetarian (or about 3% when corrected for fish and poultry consumers), the trend toward vegetarianism doesn't appear to be that great.

It's also important to note the numerous caveats mentioned in the article.

Posts: 296 | From: Crawfordville, Florida | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I find it ironic that these people with a high IQ don't seem to understand what being a vegetarian means. Though this is in-line wiht my first thought on the study, I wonder how many people's self description is different from their actual habits.

I say this because I have met, very few people who claim to be vegetarians and actually are so. They tend to 'cheat' in small and often big ways. I don't consider eating mostly things other than meat as vegetarianisn. I was a radical vegetarian for a while, and I didn't touch meat, or any animal protein during that time so maybe I have a negative bias.

The extent of their true vegetarianism compared with reports would be telling as well.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
I find it ironic that these people with a high IQ don't seem to understand what being a vegetarian means. Though this is in-line wiht my first thought on the study, I wonder how many people's self description is different from their actual habits.

I say this because I have met, very few people who claim to be vegetarians and actually are so. They tend to 'cheat' in small and often big ways. I don't consider eating mostly things other than meat as vegetarianisn. I was a radical vegetarian for a while, and I didn't touch meat, or any animal protein during that time so maybe I have a negative bias.

The extent of their true vegetarianism compared with reports would be telling as well.

If you ate no animal protein at all then you were vegan, not vegetarian.

eta My sil-equivalent's summation of her vegetarianism is that she doesn't "eat anything with a face." [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Snapdragonfly, I sometimes use your SIL's phrase to clarify the term "vegetarian" for those who've been confused by its misuse (as described by landmammal and jonny t).

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Buzzkiller:
quote:
Learning disabilities and high intelligence are not mutually exclusive. ADHD is quite common among individuals with a high IQ. I'm pretty sure I'm one of them. (I'm a highly distractable, meat-eating 142.)
I was diagnosed as an adult to have ADD. My doc figures that I was misdiagnosed as a kid and no-one ever caught it figuring I was just a problem child.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snapdragonfly:
quote:

If you ate no animal protein at all then you were vegan, not vegetarian....
Umm no, that would mean I am (or was) both. Vegan is a subclassification of vegetarians. All vegans are also vegetarians.

--------------------

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

quote:
quote:
quote:

If you ate no animal protein at all then you were vegan, not vegetarian....
Umm no, that would mean I am (or was) both. Vegan is a subclassification of vegetarians. All vegans are also vegetarians.
Oh, okay! [Razz] Everyone seems to prefer people be very specific around here, must be rubbing off on me.

Since we are discussing all this it should be clarified that there are ovo lacto vegetarians, lacto vegetarians, ovo vegetarians...what else?

--------------------

tagurit

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought vegans not only do not eat animal protein, but also lead a lifestyle that is not in conflict with the animal world, to the best of their ability, such as, they don't use or wear leather products, etc. Is this incorrect?

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Finite Fourier Alchemy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Finite Fourier Alchemy   E-mail Finite Fourier Alchemy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I find it ironic that these people with a high IQ don't seem to understand what being a vegetarian means.

I've always found it interesting that nobody has an IQ below 110 . . .

ETA: 2600! [Big Grin] My first video game system, modem, and hacker magazine!

--------------------
Thinking about New England / missing old Japan

Posts: 2603 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tagurit:
I thought vegans not only do not eat animal protein, but also lead a lifestyle that is not in conflict with the animal world, to the best of their ability, such as, they don't use or wear leather products, etc. Is this incorrect?

It depends on the definition. If you look in the dictionary, both are possible definitions for the term vegan. Though I think there is a distinction between being a vegan and living the vegan 'lifestyle'. When I did it, I was just being healthy about what I ate, so I didn't otherwise live the lifestyle.

Beach...I also didn't refer to myself as a vegan...Life!

--------------------

snapdragonfly

My cousin's husband is a vegan, and she is vegetarian, and he always refers to himself as a vegan so people will know he does not eat dairy or eggs. She will eat dairy or eggs and quite likes to, so she refers to herself as a vegetarian so that people will know, when they are inviting them over, that they can in fact serve her cheese or eggs.

I think that it's more considerate to be very specific about exactly what sort of vege-whatever you are if people are going to be trying to feed you. ~ if not, I guess it doesn't matter much except for clarity's sake.

--------------------

Aimee Evilpixie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aimee Evilpixie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Aimee Evilpixie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My boyfriend is a pescatarian, or a vegequenarian, whichever you want to call it. It's how he was raised, and even now he finds the idea of eating a chunk of meat to be unappealing. Having lived with him for two-off years and cooking mostly pescatarian, I've become less and less of a meat-eater myself. I'm now pretty repulsed by the idea of red meat, and if I eat store-bought beef it doesn't agree with me later.

When I'm telling people about Chris' eating habits, though (like we're going to a party or something), I always say that he's vegetarian but eats fish. I know it's inaccurate, and I usually follow it up with an explanation of the words pescatarian and vegequenarian, but it's the easiest way to describe his eating habits to someone who hasn't cooked for him before. Not many people understand what a pescatarian is.

Aimee "Fortunately, we live in a hippy port city, so we have allll the fish we want..." Evilpixie

--------------------
Ugg want you find JESUS!

My website!

Posts: 1853 | From: Washington (The State) | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
My cousin's husband is a vegan, and she is vegetarian, and he always refers to himself as a vegan so people will know he does not eat dairy or eggs. She will eat dairy or eggs and quite likes to, so she refers to herself as a vegetarian so that people will know, when they are inviting them over, that they can in fact serve her cheese or eggs.

I think that it's more considerate to be very specific about exactly what sort of vege-whatever you are if people are going to be trying to feed you. ~ if not, I guess it doesn't matter much except for clarity's sake.

I've always considered my dietary habits to by my own problem. I'm rarely, if ever, in a situatin where the host doesn't already know me well enough though. Regardless, I would never expect someone to make different food on my behalf.

--------------------

Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

eta My sil-equivalent's summation of her vegetarianism is that she doesn't "eat anything with a face." [Big Grin]

Are echinoderms (e.g., sea urchins) ok, then? How about clams? Not trying to be snarky, just clarifying if she (or anyone else using that phrase, which I've heard used before but never explained) is being literal or if it's just a catch-phrase.

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What's wrong with "I don't eat red meat"?

My problem with "I'm a vegetarian, but I eat fish (or chicken)" is that it gets people thinking that vegetarians eat fish (or chicken), and they offer fish (or chicken) to people who really are vegetarians. Like me, for example.

I have actually had hosts explain that they fixed me something with fish or chicken because "I know you're a vegetarian." I can't eat what they've fixed for me, the food and their extra effort goes to waste, and I end up looking high maintenance because other people don't know how to use the word "vegetarian" properly.

Nick, I use the "nothing with a face" catchphrase, and no, I guess I don't mean it literally. But I wouldn't have to use it at all if people would just use the word "vegetarian" properly. "Nothing with a face" is the way I make it clear that no, I don't eat chicken or fish.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I usually say "My diet is mostly vegetarian" or "I don't eat mammals."

For me, it's taste bud preference rather than moral or health concerns.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages