snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Techno-Babble » My Internet Connection

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My Internet Connection
Spikey
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Spikey   E-mail Spikey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm pulling my hair out in frustration. My Internet connection was fine, then all of a sudden it's screwed up. Now, it'll connect, and then randomly (could be after 5 minutes, could be after 5 hours), it'll stop working. My computer still thinks I'm connected, and is still trying to send information/packets, but I'm not receiving anything (can't download, load web pages, etc). So I click disconnect. Then I can't reconnect, no matter what I've tried. The only thing I can do is restart my computer, and then it'll connect first time. I can't for the life of me think what's caused it; I don't remember the exact day it started happening, or anything (like an install) that it might have coincided with. Yesterday I tried reinstalling the modem/ISP software, but it had no effect.

I've checked all my settings, and it's not set to hang up if idle, or for any reason that I can see. It should turn on and stay on (like it always used to). I use my Net for peer-to-peer a lot of the time, so I'll often go to bed, wake up then realise my Net probably disconnected about 5 minutes after I went to bed and nothing's downloaded, and my PC's been sat wasting electricity all night.

I realise there are 101 things that it could be, but I'm posting on the off chance that anyone's had a similar problem and knows what it is/how to fix it.

I'm running Win XP SP2 (all updates are done, I checked yesterday), and I'm on Tiscali 1MBit Broadband.

Please help!

--------------------
"The fact that "uvula" and "vulva" look and sound similar was just a happy coincidence." - Lainie

Posts: 548 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WaldemarInTheWoods
I'm Dreaming of a Wide Isthmus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WaldemarInTheWoods   E-mail WaldemarInTheWoods   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Check the incident log of your firewall for the connect/disconnect events. You may be able to determine which port and/or application is closing your connection.
As you are "always on" there is a possibility that a remote application is attempting a hijack and your firewall is executing a prophylactic retreat.

Posts: 8 | From: Longmont, Colorado | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WaldemarInTheWoods
I'm Dreaming of a Wide Isthmus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WaldemarInTheWoods   E-mail WaldemarInTheWoods   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Check the incident log of your firewall for the connect/disconnect events. You may be able to determine which port and/or application is closing your connection.
As you are "always on" there is a possibility that a remote application is attempting a hijack and your firewall is executing a prophylactic retreat.

Posts: 8 | From: Longmont, Colorado | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Finite Fourier Alchemy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Finite Fourier Alchemy   E-mail Finite Fourier Alchemy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My best guess, only because this is the most common problem I've had with broadband, is the DNS fails to renew. Seems to happen all the damn time with cheapo routers.

Next time it goes down, ping websites and their IPs and see if anything gets through. If the IP works and the name doesn't, it's your DNS.

snopes.com 66.165.133.65
google.com 64.233.187.99
yahoo.com 66.94.234.13

If that happens, you'd just have to manually set your DNSs to the Tiscali DNSes at 212.74.112.66 and 212.74.112.67 and everything should be fine.

--------------------
Thinking about New England / missing old Japan

Posts: 2603 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spikey
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spikey   E-mail Spikey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WaldemarInTheWoods:

Thing is, I don't think the 'disconnect' event will show up, 'cause my computer never recognises that it's been disconnected. It just carries on as usual, but nothing works. I have to manually select 'disconnect' and then reconnect again.

quote:
Originally posted by Finite Fourier Alchemy:
My best guess, only because this is the most common problem I've had with broadband, is the DNS fails to renew. Seems to happen all the damn time with cheapo routers.

Next time it goes down, ping websites and their IPs and see if anything gets through. If the IP works and the name doesn't, it's your DNS.

snopes.com 66.165.133.65
google.com 64.233.187.99
yahoo.com 66.94.234.13

If that happens, you'd just have to manually set your DNSs to the Tiscali DNSes at 212.74.112.66 and 212.74.112.67 and everything should be fine.

When you say ping the website, do you mean enter the ip address into the address bar rather than the URL? If so, I'll try that next time it's down.

If I need to change my DNS manually, where do I do that?

--------------------
"The fact that "uvula" and "vulva" look and sound similar was just a happy coincidence." - Lainie

Posts: 548 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Something similar was happening to me, and it was because of something wrong in the phone lines (I have DSL). Have you tried calling the phone/cable company and having them run a check of your line?

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tyrone Slothrop
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyrone Slothrop   E-mail Tyrone Slothrop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spikey:
When you say ping the website, do you mean enter the ip address into the address bar rather than the URL? If so, I'll try that next time it's down.

If I need to change my DNS manually, where do I do that?

To ping a website in Windows XP, do this:

Start-->Run
type in "cmd" without the quotation marks.

You'll get a black window that looks like an old DOS prompt.

Type "ping www.snopes.com" without the quotes.

If you're connected, you'll get a bunch of lines saying "Reply from [IP number of snopes.com] plus the number of bytes sent and the total time it took to reach the site.

Basically, if you get a reply from the IP, you're connected.

As for changing the DNS manually, I'll leave that answer for someone else...I'd just screw you up. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"The universe works on a math equation that never even ever really even ends in the end"

Posts: 32 | From: Colorado | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Even better than ping, use tracert.

Just open a command window and enter:

tracert snopes.com

Try some different sites. You can see how far the signal gets before it stops, which is a very good indication on where the problem is.

In my case, I got:
code:

1 <10 ms <10 ms <10 ms 192.168.17.1
2 140 ms 18 ms 128 ms 212.85.68.41
3 50 ms 20 ms 82 ms blg.c3560-ludvika.bahnhof.net [85.24.151.33]
4 82 ms 64 ms 29 ms ludvika.c3750-ore.bahnhof.net [85.24.151.82]
5 86 ms 221 ms 128 ms ore.c3750-vst.bahnhof.net [85.24.151.9]
6 13 ms 16 ms 35 ms vst.c6509-tule.bahnhof.net [85.24.151.5]
7 21 ms 111 ms 87 ms ge-3-0-0.ar1.ARN1.gblx.net [207.138.144.189]
8 201 ms 62 ms 72 ms ge1-1-10G.ar4.LON3.gblx.net [67.17.105.18]
9 133 ms 55 ms 47 ms Level-3public-peering.ge-5-0-0.ar2.LON3.gblx.net [208.51.239.162]
10 46 ms 33 ms 57 ms ae-19-51.ebr1.London1.Level3.net [4.68.116.30]
11 44 ms 75 ms 43 ms ae-1-100.ebr2.London1.Level3.net [4.69.132.118]
12 * * 150 ms ae-4.ebr1.NewYork1.Level3.net [4.69.132.109]
13 148 ms 106 ms 106 ms ae-12-55.car2.NewYork1.Level3.net [4.68.97.149]
14 110 ms 154 ms 236 ms te-4-4.wch010.nycmny2.Level3.net [4.68.110.18]
15 113 ms 133 ms 112 ms 64.200.249.149
16 140 ms 133 ms 114 ms nycmny2wcx1-pos6-0.wcg.net [64.200.68.53]
17 121 ms 293 ms 245 ms nycmny2wcx1-activehost-pos.wcg.net [64.200.60.70]
18 167 ms 125 ms 121 ms alb-edge-01.activehost.com [69.89.225.10]
19 166 ms 131 ms 141 ms snopes.com [66.165.133.65]

In this case, if the first two hops failed, it would be my problem. If hops 3 to 6 failed, I'd phone my ISP, if later hops failed, I'd just wait for the problem to go away.

19 hops also explains why I get such crappy lag to snopes.com...

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spikey
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spikey   E-mail Spikey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, it happened, and I tried to ping snopes. All 4 attempts timed out. Thanks Troberg, I'll give tracert a try when it next happens, and that should tell me if it's me or my ISP.

Thanks for the continued advice [Smile]

--------------------

Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Thanks Troberg, I'll give tracert a try when it next happens, and that should tell me if it's me or my ISP.
Even if you (or someone else who happens to read this) don't know how to interpret the output of the tracert, your ISP will if you send it to them. If they'll be honest about it or not is a different question, though...

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SoToasty
Flock to malls with boughs of cash

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoToasty   E-mail SoToasty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ok, it happened, and I tried to ping snopes. All 4 attempts timed out. Thanks Troberg, I'll give tracert a try when it next happens, and that should tell me if it's me or my ISP.

Thanks for the continued advice [Smile]

If ping doesn't work, tracert won't work either.

Try pinging the IP address.

ping 66.94.234.13

Then try pinging www

ping www.snopes.com

If it pings the 66 but not the www, then it is your DNS. However, based on the things you are describing, it is not DNS, but the connection between you router/modem, and your ISP. Call them and get support from them. You probably will not be able to get this fixed with the level 1 support people, you will probably have to bump it up to the next level.

--------------------
Wherever ya go, there ya are.

Posts: 816 | From: Florida | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

quote:
If ping doesn't work, tracert won't work either.
Tracert may not reach all the way, but while ping only tells you if it can reach the target or not, tracert tells you exactly how far it managed to get before it got stuck. In other words, it's better att telling you who you should be angry at.

--------------------
/Troberg

ctown28
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ctown28   E-mail ctown28   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
try pinging 127.0.0.1

That is the loopback address, if that times out your tcp/ip stack is corrupted

I'd have to look up the fix if it doesn't reply, but if it does try the following

Go to the control panel, then network connections,slect properties, highlight Internet Connections (tcp/ip) and select properties and make sure that both setting are set to determine IP address automatically

Posts: 143 | From: Cleveland, OH | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spikey
Jingle Bell Hock

I tried tracert the next time it happened, and it didn't go anywhere.

Every line was like:

1. * *
2. * *

etc.

I'll have a look at my network connection when I'm home, but I can't think what would have suddenly made them change. My Net worked fine before! [Confused] I'm also going to try to call my ISP tonight.

I've had a thought. Last month, I got an e-mail from my ISP saying that because I am a 'heavy user' , they would be managing my bandwidth during peak hours (1800-2300 every day). I don't have a problem with this at all - it's only fair - but I wonder if, when they started doing this, they've somehow upset my connection.

I also looked on the Tiscali (my ISP) website, and it says there may be things interfering with my phone line. Argh! So many things it could be! I'll keep you posted [Smile]

--------------------

Troberg

Then the problem is probably in your equipment. Something has happened in your Windows installation or with you network adapter.

--------------------
/Troberg

Tyrone Slothrop
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyrone Slothrop   E-mail Tyrone Slothrop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
Then the problem is probably in your equipment. Something has happened in your Windows installation or with you network adapter.

Not necessarily.

It could be bad wiring on the phone line or line noise.

Line noise would be the easiest fix. You should have received some filters from your ISP. If not, they're about $5.00 at a local electronic store.

--------------------
"The universe works on a math equation that never even ever really even ends in the end"

Posts: 32 | From: Colorado | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spikey
Jingle Bell Hock

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrone Slothrop:

Line noise would be the easiest fix. You should have received some filters from your ISP. If not, they're about $5.00 at a local electronic store.

Do you mean the thing that you plug your ethernet broadband wire and phone wire into, to split the line? I got some of those with my modem, but they're already in use so my parents can use the phone still. Or do you mean something else? It's just weird that it's suddenly started happening; it used to work fine before.

Update: it happened, and I looked at my modem. Both the lights had gone out (power and ADSL, I believe). Does that sound like a dodgy modem?

ETA: I am getting Error 721 when it fails to connect. Tiscali's website says it is a Network Problem.

--------------------

Monza305
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monza305   E-mail Monza305   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I'd check your modem if your power light isn't on. Make sure it's plugged in. Try to reset it if it is.
If there is no power to your modem, you aren't going to have working internet.

--------------------
I've got a pen in my pocket does that make me a writer?
Standing on the mountain doesn't make me no higher.
Putting on gloves don't make you a fighter.
And all the study in the world doesn't make it science. -Paul Weller

Posts: 199 | From: Kalamazoo, MI | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

quote:
Correct. I was thinking in my network, where even my ADSL modem has an IP address (and most of the traffic goes through one of the two proxies). Sorry.

--------------------
/Troberg

Soft Hyphen
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soft Hyphen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spikey:
Update: it happened, and I looked at my modem. Both the lights had gone out (power and ADSL, I believe). Does that sound like a dodgy modem?

Yes.

Next time, make note of exactly which lights go out.

If ADSL goes out, if could be modem or phone line. If power goes out, it's the modem (or its power supply - the "brick" that plugs into the power outlet)

Posts: 78 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spikey
Jingle Bell Hock

Yeah - both lights go out when it disconnects. But as soon as I restart my computer, it connects again fine. How bizarre is that? Reckon I should call my ISP and ask for another modem? Or is it more likely to be a power problem on my end?

--------------------

Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is your modem powered from a seperate transformer attached the mains, or is the power supplied through the USB port?

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spikey
Jingle Bell Hock

USB.

--------------------

Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Groping in the dark here, perhaps it could be something to do with your USB port or USB cable - can you try a different port/cable?

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spikey
Jingle Bell Hock

I've plugged it into a different USB port, and so far so good - it's been connected with no problems for a day now (I believe; I'll have to confirm when I get home!). Thank you for all your advice.

What would suddenly make the one USB port break?

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages