snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Techno-Babble » Computer fan running nearly constantly.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Computer fan running nearly constantly.
Casey, making hot chocolate
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For the last few weeks, my computer's fan has been running nearly constantly. I tried a defrag and a ChkDisk to calm things down, but no dice. There's not an unusual number of processes running, I dont think- about 40- but that's normal for me.

Any ideas? Nothing seems to trigger it, it just goes on and off at will.

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elbe
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elbe   Author's Homepage   E-mail Elbe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Presumably you have an auto changing case fan, right? If the sensor says it's hotter than it should be (like say when it's idling) then maybe the ventilation isn't working properly. Does the case and it's vents need to be cleaned?

--------------------
Nobody loves Elbe...
-The Adventure of the Avatar Tutorials (3/29)

Posts: 2776 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can try that. [Smile]

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elbe
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elbe   Author's Homepage   E-mail Elbe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In reality your case fan should be on constantly anyways to keep the airflow moving. I'm guessing it's just been running louder than usual. So either it's running faster than it was, in which case it's not cooling properly and it all should be cleaned out, or the fan has just gotten noisy and a replacement might be in order (if the noise bothers you).

--------------------
Nobody loves Elbe...
-The Adventure of the Avatar Tutorials (3/29)

Posts: 2776 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
El Chupacabra
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for El Chupacabra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would suspect it might be a process that is taking too much of your CPU time. What I would do is when you first launch your computer, launch the task manager by CTL ALT DEL, go to options, select Hide when minimized and then minimize it, it will minimize to your system tray and give you a handy CPU meter. See if your fan going on coincides with the meter going "full" if so, launch the task manager by double clicking on the task bar icon and then sort by CPU and see what process is running high, then take appropriate measures.
Posts: 83 | From: Southern California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A site I've found useful for sorting through what should and shouldn't be running is processlibrary.com. It probably won't help you work out why your fan is running fast, but it's great for identifying malware and, more importantly IMO, what isn't malware. Some legitimate processes have really weird names.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Most likely, it's dust clogging the air flow. Don't you clean the insides of your computer every day?!?!?!

Could also be a task running wild, but then you would problably notice the computer running slower.

The fan could also be going bad. As the bearings are worn out, they make more noise and run slower, which means that it has to run more often. Stick your finger in the fan (don't worry, it will not hurt), if it feels like it lacks "oompfh", it's bad even if it spins.

I'd say replace the fan. They are cheap and it's not really worth the trouble searching for other problems until you've tried a new fan. If a new fan doesn't work, you'll have a spare which you'll need sooner or later anyway.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I popped off the side and did some investigating. There are two fans, and when it runs loud, both are running. When it is silent, one is kicked into a higher gear, it seems. There isn't a correlation between CPU usage and fan running, so I guess I should clean the fans out.

Right?

--------------------

Grand Illusion
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grand Illusion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Grand Illusion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Make sure that your fan is mounted completely tight and than none of its mounting braces are broken. I don't know what kind of PC yours is, but the HP DC5000's we use have their CPU fan tightly clipped against the processor using four plastic mounting clips. If even one of those mounting clips breaks and causes the fan to become even slightly loose, the temperature sensor will cause the fan to run.

To test this, manually press the fan as tightly against the processor as you can, and see if the fan goes back to normal operating speed.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?" - The Brain

Posts: 587 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Right on cue, the internal fan kicked into high gear. I checked, and it's solid as a rock. Now to get some compressed air.

--------------------

abbubmah
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What type CPU? I have an AMD laptop that ran too hot, "laptop uncomfortable", and found a CPU driver on AMD's website that throttles CPU speed and voltage based on process demand. Works like a charm!

--------------------
Fundamentally Unfundie since 1975

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would also make sure your BIOS is up to date. A particular model of Dell I work on will start running the fan constantly and getting hot if it has the wrong BIOS revision on it.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
El Chupacabra
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for El Chupacabra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Also, is it hot where your computing? Is it a small room? I can tell you my fan kicks into high gear if it get's hot* in the room especially during the summer time.

*Say above 80F.

Posts: 83 | From: Southern California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

quote:
Originally posted by abbubmah:
What type CPU? I have an AMD laptop that ran too hot, "laptop uncomfortable", and found a CPU driver on AMD's website that throttles CPU speed and voltage based on process demand. Works like a charm!

Not the slightest clue as to the CPU, unless you mean processor- AMD Athlon XP at 2.2 GHz.

I hosed it out with compressed air, and it seems to have worked. Computer now just has the light whir I'm used to. [Smile]

Just kicked up again, and now the System Idle process seems to want to take a lot of the CPU usage- right now at 97%. What's with this?

--------------------

abbubmah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, go here and download the Power Now utility. If it is another CPU, like a 64, go to their drivers section and get the CPU driver or appropriate power monitoring software for that processor.

I have an AMD 64, and usually leave it on laptop mode unless I need full speed for a game.

--------------------

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

I tried, and it won't download on an XP box. Is there an XP version?

--------------------

me, no really
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me, no really   Author's Homepage   E-mail me, no really   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Casey, off the deep end:
Just kicked up again, and now the System Idle process seems to want to take a lot of the CPU usage- right now at 97%. What's with this?

The system idle process isn't really a running process as such. It is just counting how much of your CPU capacity is available. If the system idle process is at 97%, then it just means that you are only using 3% of the CPU capacity - 97% of the time it is doing nothing (idling). That means the system is not working hard at all.

me

--------------------
Check out my handmade pens
Check back often because the page changes often

Posts: 831 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah

quote:
I tried, and it won't download on an XP box. Is there an XP version?

this is the direct link to the windows utility.

--------------------

Okay, it downloaded, but won't run under Windows XP. Ideas? [Smile]

--------------------

Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Also, is it hot where your computing? Is it a small room? I can tell you my fan kicks into high gear if it get's hot* in the room especially during the summer time.
The altitude can also be a problem. It caused my laptop to overheat when I was working in Amman (approx 1200 m above sea level).

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah

quote:
Okay, it downloaded, but won't run under Windows XP. Ideas? [Smile]

No. It appears to a be a windows program. Sorry.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages