snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Techno-Babble » Cell Phone Batteries

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cell Phone Batteries
smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 16 posted      Profile for smackmac     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We are having issues with our cell phone batteries. We got Motorola Razrs in July and immediately I realized that the battery life was not what I experienced on my old LG. But I was OK with charging it every 3 days or so rather than every five.

What I am not OK with is charging it every night. I barely get one call per day, but for the last week I have had to charge my phone every night. We went to the Verizon store and the oh-so-helpful tech there told us that we needed to charge with the phones turned off. If the phone is on, it doesn't get a full charge and, of course, "ruins" the battery.

Has anyone else had this problem? What if you use a cell for your only phone? Do you shut it off to charge it?

--------------------
"Maybe getting in the last word doesn't really mean you win." - The Clarks

Posts: 486 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Old NiCad batteries had issues with "memory," but NiMHs shouldn't.

Have you tried running the battery all the way until the phone shuts off, then charging it completely?

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smackmac     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I rolled my eyes when he said the battery would get ruined. I know about the NiMH batteries (my sarcasm wasn't as apparent as I wanted it to be. That's what I get for trying to answer a 6 year old and type at the same time).

I haven't tried a complete discharge. I guess that'll be tonight when it dies. [Wink]

--------------------

Posts: 486 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
me, no really
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me, no really   Author's Homepage   E-mail me, no really   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have never bothered to switch the phone off to charge the battery, and never had problems. Lets face it, even with the phone "off" it is still draining battery power, just not at the same rate. Sounds to me like you have a dud battery. If the phones are new then they should be covered under warranty. If not then you'll have to buy a new one.

me

--------------------
Check out my handmade pens
Check back often because the page changes often

Posts: 831 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
unhappy_buffalo
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappy_buffalo   E-mail unhappy_buffalo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to have to charge my old phone twice a day, because i charged it too often, so the lithium-ion battery ran out of cycles. This took about 1 year to happen.

I only change my new phone when it gets low, so it hasn't been a problem yet. Of course, I have only had this phone for 4 months, so I still got a ways to go with it.

--------------------
[IMG]http://sevenelevenclan.org/users/unhappy_buffalo/Unhappybuffalo2.jpg[/IMG]

Posts: 42 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You shouldn't have to take special precautions such as turning off the phone with NiMH or LiPo batteries.

There are a huge number of legend and old ideas that no longer apply regarding batteries and charging.

I just put my phones in the charger each night, without turning them off. Works perfectly for me.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've read on several sites that while a lithium-ion battery itself is not affected by partial discharge/recharge (supposedly it's more beneficial for the battery than constant full discharge) the battery meter needs to be re-calibrated by occasional full discharge, then full recharge. Every 30 charge cycles seems to be the oft quoted figure.

Here's one.

quote:
Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem. Letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment will do this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate.
So perhaps the battery is good, but the power meter is inaccurate.

ETA The battery for the Razr is lithium-ion (expand the 'performance features' link. I think NiMh batteries only enjoyed a brief period of popularity a few years back.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
ETA The battery for the Razr is lithium-ion (expand the 'performance features' link. I think NiMh batteries only enjoyed a brief period of popularity a few years back.
NiMH are still quite popular in many uses, but not as much in cell phones. They are usually rechargable replacements for ordinary batteries.

Most cell phones today use LiPo (LithiumPolymer) batteries. Very high capacity, light, small, can handle an insane current drain, but with some quirks. The most important quirk is that you should never discharge them below a certain voltage, as it kills them permanently. LiPo is also very popular in model aviation.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The most important quirk is that you should never discharge them below a certain voltage, as it kills them permanently.
Agreed. IIRC the lithium batteries used in cellphones and other mobile devices have a built in protection circuit to prevent them dropping below this critical level. By full discharge I meant discharging to the level where the mobile device will shut itself off, rather than complete discharge.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smackmac     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The phone has never shut itself off. I typically put it on charge when the indicator has one block left.

I thought it was a brush off of sorts when the Verizon guy told me that I had to turn it off to charge it. I'm sure that people who rely on cell phones as their only phones don't shut them off to charge them.

I understand about the power meter & the battery possibly not being in synch, but would that cause the phone to beep at me that the battery is dying?

--------------------

Troberg

quote:
I understand about the power meter & the battery possibly not being in synch, but would that cause the phone to beep at me that the battery is dying?
Yes. It's the power meter that activates the beep.

--------------------
/Troberg

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages