snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Techno-Babble » Wireless print server help needed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wireless print server help needed
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 27 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been trying to set up a wireless printserver to coordinate with my wireless network, to allow me to get away from having a dedicated computer hardwired for the printer.

During the initial setup, the printer has to be hardwired to the computer and the drivers for the printer installed. Easy enough, since that's been the standard in my house anyway. Then I have to hardwire the print server into the router and configure it. Done. Then I have to unplug the printer from the computer, and into the printserver. This is where the problem occurs; it seems that as soon as I unplug the printer from the computer, XP disables/loses the drivers for the server. When I get to the next step of setting up the print server, the program tells me I have to install the drivers for the printer first, and then run the install program for the print server all over again.

Does anyone know how to stop XP from losing the drivers for the printer? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you sure you don't have to add the printer to Windows again? Usually, if you want to work with a network printer, you have to find your printer on the network and add it to Windows.

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I do have to add it to Windows again - but when I locate it and try to add it, the install program for the printserver tells me that driver for the printer needs to be installed, to exit the printserver install program, install the printer driver, and start again.

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Thomas A. Anderson
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thomas A. Anderson         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple of quick thoughts: 1. Make sure you are an administrator for the computer; 2. Do you have an option of 'Have Disk' when installing the printer? If so, tell it to use the driver that is on the CD that came with the print server.
Posts: 4 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I am the administrator. And I have the option of "have disk", but it still causes me to stop and remove the printserver installation disk, install the printer driver, and then start the printserver installation all over again. When I get to the same point in the printserver installation, it again tells me that my computer does not have drivers installed for the printer I am trying to access via the printserver, and so I have to stop the printserver configuration and reinstall the printer driver. Lather, rinse, repeat.

The problem seems to be that XP disables, and hides somewhere, the driver for the printer as soon as I unplug the printer from the computer to plug the printer into the printserver. I need to know how to make XP retain the driver for the printer even when the printer is unplugged from the computer.

--------------------

Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For my print servers, I did this (I didn't even open the print server CD sleeve):

Run the Add Printer Wizard, select local printer, unselect automatically detect, select create a new port & Standard TCP/IP port, and enter the IP address (port is generated automatically) of the print server. At this point, Windows will probe the print server (the printer and print server must be turned on and the printer plugged into the print server) to figure out what type it is and how to configure it. After that, it'll go through the rest of the Add Printer Wizard (it may detect the printer and ask for the CD or you may have to click Have Disk... and point it to the drivers).

That, of course, assumes that the print server is configured for networking. I usually check the documentation for the default network configuration, set a computer to the next IP address and telnet/browse to the network device and configure the networking manually. I then switch my computer back to DHCP and configure everything else then.

If you want to try installing the printer using the print server install CD, you might try setting the printer Offline in Printers and Faxes (right-clik on the printer) or stopping the device with the Safely Remove Hardware app.

Another thing I've done is install the generic ASCII text or generic PostScript printer driver and after I got the printer icon, go back in and click New Driver and install the right printer drivers that way.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages