snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Techno-Babble » Adding text to a .pdf

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Adding text to a .pdf
Thordis
Deck the Malls

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Thordis     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm filling out a lot of job applications at the moment. Normally the forms are Word docs, and are easy to fill out online and email back. However, the one I'm trying to complete at the moment is a pdf. Does anyone know if its possible to add text to a pdf, or am I doomed to fill it out by hand in my terrible handwriting?

--------------------
Daria: "I almost killed a dog today"
Jane: "Gonna work your way up to humans slowly?"

Posts: 385 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
InfraPurple
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for InfraPurple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, if you can afford Adobe you should be able to edit them.

There's also some .pdf to .doc converters. Google could show you a few.

--------------------
While I wasn't falling down or anything, gravity and I did have an interesting relationship for a short time. - Purple Iguana

Posts: 715 | From: Kansas | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You could copy it into Word (ETA: you may have to do this as an image) and use textboxes. If you have to send the application back as a pdf that's no help to you, but if you're happy to send it back as a .doc, it should be fairly easy.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You should be able to type into the .pdf file (depending upon how the author set it up), but, unless you have the full version of Adobe, you probably won't be able to save what you put in.

One free .pdf converter is called Cute Writer. It is fairly easy to use, and it's free, which is its best feature.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FuzzDuckie
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzDuckie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One caveat on the PDF to Doc converters...SOmetimes they will be a bit off. I tried that recently and the margins can be a bit off. or positioning may be off.

This is the one I used. The Trial version. You get 100 trials with is. The English is a bit off but it works pretty well and not that hard to use.

--------------------
Clever Waste of Time Invasion IV
An unique Riddle adventure.
PM me for more info. I'm on Brain Candy.
Purple Hell- Riddle Tools

Posts: 1551 | From: Georgia | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by InfraPurple:
Well, if you can afford Adobe you should be able to edit them.

Actually, you can't. Acrobat Professional is not a word processor. You either have to edit the source document and regenerate the PDF or add form fields.

Acrobat is surprisingly limited. You can't delete or insert text (it strikes out and inserts notes instead).

It is smart enough to convert printed text to selectable text instead of images of text.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:
You should be able to type into the .pdf file (depending upon how the author set it up), but, unless you have the full version of Adobe, you probably won't be able to save what you put in.

One free .pdf converter is called Cute Writer. It is fairly easy to use, and it's free, which is its best feature.

I love Cute PDF Writer. There's also a
CutePDF Pro, which is a $50 version, which allows you to do everything the $500 Adobe product does.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BrianB
Happy Holly Days

Icon 500 posted      Profile for BrianB   E-mail BrianB   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Threadslayer:
Acrobat is surprisingly limited. You can't delete or insert text (it strikes out and inserts notes instead).

I'm curious where you heard this because it's absolutely not true. While Acrobat is certainly not a word processor you most certainly can add and delete text in a PDF as long as you have the same font(s) as the originating application used. I use Acrobat 7.0 at my current job and when I find an error in a PDF that is hundreds of pages or more and it needs to go to the customer "right now" I will always correct the PDF in Acrobat and correct the source document later at a more convenient time. (I had Acrobat 5.0 at my old job and did the same thing.)
Here are some links that show how it's done:
The only thing other than not having the fonts that would prevent me from editing text is if the author set the security settings to prevent editing.
I've been working with Acrobat since the mid 90s and I've never heard of Acrobat inserting notes instead of letting you edit text. If you don't have the fonts you get an error message or if the author set the security settings to prevent editing the TouchUp Text Tool will be ghosted out.
Brian

--------------------
"Dear Big Foot Smellers: Please don't quote me on some of this information." John F. Winston

Posts: 1707 | From: Camarillo, CA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm... I think my boss preferred us keeping the original docs update-to-date rather than messing with the PDFs.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages