snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Techno-Babble » Guitar Hero

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Guitar Hero
Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 106 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone else have the game? Have a custom guitar, or are you uncreative like me and simply used the stickers that came with the game? Manage to beat it on Extreme or Hard? Do you love it as much as I do? Of course you do, it got Game of the Year for a reason. [Razz] Post band names, high scores, whatever, I'm just itching for a place to discuss the awesomeness of this game.

ETA - We really need some rocking icons. :x The singing dude just doesn't cut it.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spikey
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spikey   E-mail Spikey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mate has it, and I've played it for a little while. As a huge fan of DDR, I thought I'd enjoy this too. It's definitely harder to get the hand coordination going! I was able to do ok on the basic modes, but I had trouble on the tutorial with the more advanced tricks/riffs. I hope to go back to it at some point and get a bit more experienced at it. Definitely glad about some of the music they've got on there, like Boston. Classic!

--------------------
"The fact that "uvula" and "vulva" look and sound similar was just a happy coincidence." - Lainie

Posts: 548 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlushingBride
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlushingBride     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I want that game so bad. I have Taiko Drum Master (WAY, WAY better in the arcade version--a must play at pretty much any arcade in Japan), so a friend let me try this one out when I was last at his house, and frankly, I am hooked. I want more, more, more...

--------------------
"In perfume, as in underwear, the scantiest of applications provides the greatest of returns." -Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 858 | From: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
UrbanReindeer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UrbanReindeer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My husband has just jacked it up to extreme mode, and he says its more fun, because it actually feels like youre playing guitar. I, on the other hand, am lousy at it. I pwn Karaoke Revolution despite being a terrible singer, and Donkey Konga, but I cannot seem to manage even the easiest level of Guitar Hero.

My 9 year old daughter can successfully get through "I Wanna Be Sedated" and "I Love Rock and Roll" on the easiest level, and shes working her way through "Smoke on the Water". I think when she gets the guitar Grampa promised her for her birthday she might be able to figure out those opening chords for real.

Oh, and our band name is "Famdango". Thats what my husband always puts on games we play together. He also unlocked the Grim Reaper character and thats the only one hell play with.

(Lacking apostrophes again this morning).

--------------------
"He feeds the sparrows of the field, but He doesn't sit there and cram worms into their mouths." -- Mouse

Posts: 396 | From: Pasadena, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Amen to Boston! More Than A Feeling is one of the most fun songs in the game to play. You definitely have to practice to get better at it, it's not one of the types of games you can pick up and be perfect at the first time, even on Easy. As for the Advanced Tutorial, it's for after you've played for several hours (it even says so on the description of the tutorial.) For example, I didn't even take the Advanced Tutorial until I started having trouble in Medium difficulty on Career Mode. I also discovered that hammer ons pull offs are something that just have to come naturally. I don't use them for all the fast parts, but there are some parts where it just comes out naturally. The same goes for strumming up and down rather than strumming just one way. Part of the naturalness of those things may be my brief experience playing bass, though. Hammer ons and Pull offs were some of the first things I learned.

Definitely go back to it at some point, it just gets better as you go. The quality of the songs falls off in the last level, and I didn't care for many of the unlockable songs, but the famous rock songs they chose for the Career Mode are mostly top notch.

ETA - Woops, this was directed at Spikey, didn't realize this would get so many posts so fast.

UrbanRenewal - I unlocked the Grim Ripper too, and won't play with anyone else. This is mostly because I just didn't care for any of the default Male Guitarist options.

Edited - to fix randomly bad spelling mistakes.

ETA2 - Okay, so I'm going through withdrawals because I let my ex borrow the game (she did buy it for me, so I guess it was only fair. [Razz] ) So I'm looking online at videos on YouTube of people playing on insane difficulties, etc. The one thing I've noticed in every one of those videos, there is a comment calling someone a "fag" for not being awesome at it. In the posts where someone actually is awesome at it in the video, there's inevitably a post by someone saying "go play a real guitar you idiot." So, I guess I'm a little confused. I've encountered this kind of hostility before online, but most of the time it's at least warranted by someone saying or doing something idiotic. This time it just seems like it's random. Does anyone really believe that everyone who plays this game thinks it's like a real guitar? Or that everyone who plays this game and can't beat it on Expert is a "fag?" Just weird, I think I'll stick to my usual message boards and suffer my withdrawal from their relatively safe confines until this evening when she brings it back. :x

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kanazawa
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kanazawa   E-mail kanazawa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So that is what I saw at the store the other day. Does anyone know if it would be helpful (or even fun) for someone who already plays guitar, and wants to get better at it? Or would it just be confusing...?

--------------------
If I say it's safe to surf this beach, then it's safe to surf this beach...

Posts: 127 | From: Cupertino, CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It may be fun, and having played guitar before may help you play the game, but playing the game won't really help you play guitar. The only thing it may help with is timing and quick changes. It shouldn't be confusing. As long as you can hit a button and the strum bar in time with the cues on the screen, it's relatively easy.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Salamander
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Salamander   E-mail Salamander   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got the game last weekend... I immediately invited my mate over who loves PS2 music games in the hopes that exposing him to it would make him go buy the game himself so we could do the multiplayer stuff.

I'm still working my way thru medium difficulty, the addition of the 4th button still throws me a little bit. I'm using Franz Ferdinand's "Take Me Out" as my practice song until using my little finger becomes second nature.

It is a very cool game, my only complaint is that if I play it for extended periods of time I start getting visual hallucinations from the scrolling fret bar on the screen -- because it scrolls down constantly and because I'm paying close attention, when I look away everything suddenly appears to move upwards.

I'll echo Midgard's comments that having played some guitar does help a little with the game (since you hold the controller in the same way you'd hold a guitar) but the game itself would neither help or hinder someone learning to play.

--------------------
"victory thru self-deception"

Posts: 2211 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I played it at a friend's house at the weekend - it actually belonged to another friend and he'd brought it round because he thought it was fantastic and wanted to convert people...

I managed to get through a couple of songs on "Easy" level after one or two tries but I was worse at it than anybody else there - although to be fair, the friend whose game it was had obviously had a lot of practise and unlocked all the songs, and one of my other friends is a pretty good bass player so probably had an advantage in terms of being good at timing.

Once you start to get the songs right it does become addictive... I have too many other things to waste my time on at the moment to be tempted to buy it, though.

Something that annoyed me is that if you don't hit the notes, you don't get any audio feedback other than a "wrong note" noise or whatever. I'd prefer it if it actually made the note noise whether you hit a cue or not. Of course it can't do that really, because there's usually not a one-to-one correspondance between the notes and the buttons (there hardly could be with only three buttons), and it would be an actual guitar if it could do that. At least with a real guitar you'd still hear what you'd played even if your timing wasn't good...

(edit) Also (on the easy level) I kept trying to play the notes that you can hear but that there isn't a cue for.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon

I did that to on the easy level. Did it a little bit, but not so much on medium level. I have a hard enough time hitting all the notes that do appear on hard level, and I think on extreme there is a 1->1 comparison between notes that show on the screen and actual notes played.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

the Virgin Marrya
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 202 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kanazawa:
So that is what I saw at the store the other day. Does anyone know if it would be helpful (or even fun) for someone who already plays guitar, and wants to get better at it? Or would it just be confusing...?

I hired it for the weekend for my hubby who is a guitarist, thinking he'd have fun.

Boy, was I wrong!

I [very basic G D A7 guitar player] loved it, played almost nonstop and cramped up both hands [Big Grin]

He [very skilled, bar chords etc player] got way mad because he couldn't get the timing of pieces he's used to playing, and gave up in a short time. [He could do better by doing the fingerwork while our kid strummed. oops]

My playstation illiterate mother got on and nailed a song on her second attempt, then walked away. Dad, [60] played like a Beatle, and had fun.

Mileage definitely varies! If you're not sure, I'd recommend hiring it, just to see.

I think it's good for a budding guitarist to get the idea of rhythm, and strengthening the muscles in your non-strumming hand [can't think of a better term]

It's made me think I'd like to learn bass - and I've never wanted to in 15 years of singing with a variety of bands and/or my guitarist husband.

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon

For the Americans - hiring = renting. Don't think I'd ever heard it called hiring over here, but I could tell what you meant from the context clues. Still, hiring=renting just in case anyone misses that. [Razz]

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

liebeslied

Icon 1 posted      Profile for liebeslied     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My friend has it, and recently got a second guitar for it. I usually beat him. He ALWAYS beats me on Amplitude. I don't get it...
Definitely looking forward to GHII (US release in November).
I mostly play it on Medium, because if I wanted to practice, I'd play a real instrument. I may move up to Hard if it gets too easy.

Posts: 105 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Salamander
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Salamander   E-mail Salamander   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, easy is done and medium too... now I'm looking down the barrel of completing the game on hard...

I'm getting scared.

--------------------
"victory thru self-deception"

Posts: 2211 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got to try it out at Animazement this year. It was quite fun; my only complaint is that the controller, like so many, is hard on those of us with smaller hands and bad wrists.

I'd probably pick up a used one if I saw it at a reasonable price. $70 is a bit much for me right now.

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon

Finally finished Easy, Medium, and Hard. Went through and got 5 stars on all songs in Easy and Medium, but can't seem to accomplish that goal in hard. I made it to Symphony of Destruction on Expert and can't get past it. >_<

Radical Dory: I thought the controller was perfect, but I don't have small hands, so I guess it would be for me.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

mgbdriver
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgbdriver     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I do fairly decent on easy and medium, but I really suck on the higher levels.
DD's BF has beaten the game and is awaiting Guitar Hero II.

--------------------
"Chuck E. Cheese called. They want their band back."

my blog
Help me clean my basement!

Posts: 2717 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James G.
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James G.   Author's Homepage   E-mail James G.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On the PC, and using your keyboard we have a bit of a clone:
http://louhi.kempele.fi/~skyostil/uv/fretsonfire/

Its free but I found it next to impossible.

--------------------
This is a public service announcement. The board is moving. Check Announcements Photos[/URL]

Posts: 1302 | From: Edinburgh, UK (Currently Nr. Swindon, UK) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon

Yeah, it's nowhere near as fun as actually holding the guitar control in your hand. Similar, but even worse, by ex's brother plays Dance Dance Revolution using a keybaord. :/ That's even further beyond the point than a Guitar Hero clone could ever hope to be.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

James G.
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James G.   Author's Homepage   E-mail James G.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well the idea is to hold your keyboard in your hands in a similar way to a guitar, rather than just use it on your desk. Unfortunately in the case of my keyboard the media keys make that a little difficut.

--------------------
This is a public service announcement. The board is moving. Check Announcements Photos[/URL]

Posts: 1302 | From: Edinburgh, UK (Currently Nr. Swindon, UK) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Virtual Rock Is Real Hit for MTV
quote:

The second edition of Guitar Hero is one of the hottest-selling games this gift-giving season, with stores finding it hard to keep it in stock. Reviews have been largely ecstatic, and encomiums have been pouring in from real-life rock stars, including Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails to Jack Black of Tenacious D.

Ed Robertson, the guitarist for Barenaked Ladies, said he was "totally addicted to the game on our last tour." He played constantly, he said, by himself and in contests against crew members.

Link

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monza305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monza305   E-mail Monza305   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Slight hijack here...

For the baseball fans here who wonder what really happened to Detroit Tigers pitcher Joel Zumaya during the playoffs.

--------------------
I've got a pen in my pocket does that make me a writer?
Standing on the mountain doesn't make me no higher.
Putting on gloves don't make you a fighter.
And all the study in the world doesn't make it science. -Paul Weller

Posts: 199 | From: Kalamazoo, MI | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages