snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Techno-Babble » Printing picture help - colors that turn out grey...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Printing picture help - colors that turn out grey...
Oualawouzou
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello everybody,

Well, we just got a new printer, one that can print photos. SO is extremely happy but there's just one problem. We have two very nice baby pictures that print out with weird grey blobs where some reddish color should be. One has the whole open mouth and lips of the baby grey, the other has a reddish spot on the side of the baby's nose grey.

-It can't be a technical problem with the printer since dozens of other photos turn out just fine...
-It can't be a problem that happened when taking the picture because it can be viewed just fine on any support (camera, TV, comp)...
-It can't be a file type problem since pics were all taken with the same settings on the same camera (so it can't be a matter of color scheme being bad, what with RGB, CMYK and company)...

We're at a loss. Any clue as to how we could diagnose the problem? Both the printer's and the camera's manuals failed to provide an answer.

Thanks!

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DaGuyWitBluGlasses
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaGuyWitBluGlasses     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Never rule-out problems without proof.

The problem is that the other pictures are not the same as this picture, so it could be a technical/file-type problem, jsut because the other pictures print fine doesn't mean there isn't a problem, the "problem" might jsut be unapparent in the other pictures.

So convert copies to different different file-types, and if that doesn't work go over the technical troubleshooting.

(And, you can't rule out a problem with taking the picture either, jsut because the problem is not visible while viewing, doesn't mean it doesn't exist (there)).

Posts: 201 | From: Toronto, ON | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Make sure the color profile settings are correct. Most printing is not directly RGB to CMYK. It goes through a color management system to make sure the colors are correct. However, if the color management system has the wrong profile (for a different printer) then problems like the one you describe can occur. (Although it does sound a little unusual.)
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SchmooPie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SchmooPie   E-mail SchmooPie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had problems printing to a high-end Epson printer with colors being out of gamut (color-range) and the printer got confused about how much ink to lay down. This resulted in either too much or not enough red (and, yes, it does always seem to be a red color). You can send me one of the pics and I'll be happy to look at it for you, check to see if those areas are out of gamut and correct it if necessary.

--------------------
"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you."
- C. G. Jung

Posts: 243 | From: Marina del Rey, CA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PrincessLeia
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 602 posted      Profile for PrincessLeia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
At the Canada Day celebration today, London Drugs had a booth where you could print out digital camera photos for free. When I tried it, my picture printed out with a green tinge. I assumed that this was because the printer ran out of red ink, but the man running the booth insists that it was probably a problem with my camera and my computer that made the picture appear normal before.
Posts: 185 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks everybody for your suggestions.

Well, we tried to change the color scheme from RGB to CMYK and waddyaknow, the bugged pictures printed out fine. I'm really puzzled though, how come RGB colors would pose problems for only about 5% of the pictures we've printed? And how come the problem affects a whole area (in one case, the open mouth of a baby) spanning several tones of red/pink instead of being limited to a few precise shades? [Confused]

Oh well... technology... Very simple when it works, but so puzzling when it doesn't. [Smile]

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
FYI

Me Gamut's run out!!!!111ELEVENONE!!!

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages