snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Techno-Babble » Identify this old video game!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Identify this old video game!
Oualawouzou
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 202 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello there,

A discussion on another board had me remember thi sgame, but not its actual name...

Bear with me, it's old and I don't have lots of things to say about it. I played it on one of those (illegal, I've since been told) NES cartridges that had a few dozens of (usually mediocre) games on them. In this game, you played what looked like a big radar dish. Military guys (infantry, tanks, some helicopters I think) came at you from the top of the screen and you had to defend yourself using two weapons: rockets and a "track beam". When you successfully dragged a unit to yourself, the unit would change color and fight by your side. I do not recall the object of the game, if it was to move up the screen or simply to survive/kill all the ennemies. All I know is that it took me a freakishly long time to understand!

Any idea? Or at least someone who remembers playing that game too?

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ILS
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ILS   E-mail ILS   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like a land based knockoff of Galaxian.

http://www.galaxian.dds.nl/game.html

Posts: 287 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
evilbeard
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilbeard   E-mail evilbeard   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
that or magmax

http://tnca.myrmid.com/reviews/magmax.htm

--------------------
rex linum occisor et erronis

But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey."

Posts: 1022 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ILS:
Sounds like a land based knockoff of Galaxian.

http://www.galaxian.dds.nl/game.html

Sort of, but at the same time it was very different. Assimilating ennemies was crucial in winning and ennemies behaved much more "intelligently" than in Galaxian...

ETA: And nope on Magmax.

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kingfan1978
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingfan1978     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From my husband, the gamer:

"there was a company called Camerica that put out unauthorized Nintendo games, and another company called MegaSoft that made a couple of 6 in 1 games, finally, there was a game called "Action 52" that was supposedly 52 games in one cart that is notorious for being crap. game-a-chow

"Unauthorized" is probably the best word you could use to help locate the game on Google. "Deathbots" or "F-15 City War" are possibilities."

Hope this helps!

--------------------
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Posts: 411 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Kingfan, your link doesn't work. I get this error:

quote:
Referer Link Error

On every single HTML page of GameFAQs is the following request:
Feel free to link to this page, but not directly to the FAQs..
You're seeing this error message because it appears that you're linking from an external site directly to one of the text files stored at GameFAQs. GameFAQs is not a free public file server. Bandwidth costs money, and when sites link directly to files stored on the site, it becomes both a financial and resource drain. We've tried asking, but some sites simply don't care, so now we've implemented a technical solution.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kingfan1978
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingfan1978     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry 'bout that...try copying & pasting this link into your browser...

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/nes/file/action_52.txt

It's a description of Action 52 from this website

www.gamefaqs.com

They're a good tool to use to search for game info. from all consoles.

--------------------
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Posts: 411 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the suggestions, but I haven't found it yet... [Frown] It's not on the 52 games cartridge and googling hasn't been of help yet...

I want to say the cartridge had 128 games on it, but I'm not sure. In fact, there were more like 75ish playable games, about 30ish modifications of those games (usually simple cheats like "start with the most powerful weapons and full life" kind of things) and the rest were simply unplayable (as in broken, not as in really horrible). The games I remember on this cartridge, apart from the one I'm looking for:

-Front Line. A terribly terribly looking and sounding (the pain, the pain!) vertical scroller that featured you as a horribly deformed soldier armed with a gun a grenades, and later a tank (if you got the tiny one, you'd die. If you got the big one, you stood a chance). Some searching on google refers to this game as being for the colecovision, so no clue how it found its way on a NES cartridge.
-Two soccer games, one half-decent (for the time) side-scrolling, and one actually great (perhaps the best game on the cartridge) that worked in a overhead view with a sudden close-up on the action when you were near a net.
-The third Donkey Kong game, the one where DK sends bees at Mario. Not sure if the other DK games were included too.
-A game called "Superman" I never could get to work (it played exactly like another game on the cartridge that had nothing to do with Superman).
-I'm about certain there was a game of pool where you could set the friction to 0, so the ball would never stop moving until you pocketed it (or it got stuck bouncing off two walls ad vitam eternam).

I also recall the musical theme of the cartridge, the one that played on the menu where you picked your game. It's hard to translate to the written language though. [Razz]

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages