snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Techno-Babble » Disabling network error messages in WinXP Pro

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Disabling network error messages in WinXP Pro
Oualawouzou
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 215 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Heya everybody,

I work off a French version of WinXP Pro, so I'll try to translate what I can to the best of my knowledge...

It's a little lenghty because I don't know what info is crucial, so you can skip to -----END LONG VERSION----- if you want to.

We recently switched our phone service to Videotron, with whom we already had cable access to Internet. To accomodate both services, they had to change our modem. Fair enough. Problem: according to the technician, the modem we have now is the only model they use, but it also has a compatibility problem with WinXP ( [Eek!] ). As a result, every 2 minutes, we get a brief error message stating "a network cable is unplugged" ("un câble réseau est débranché"). The error message appears in the bottom right corner of the screen and disappears on its own after a split second. We experience no connection problems whatsoever.

So, basically, it's an annoyance. An annoying annoyance. Every once in a while, I try to click on something in the vicinity of the bottom right corner and end up clicking on the error message instead, which opens my network properties windows.

The technician who installed the thing said he was aware of the problem and knew how to correct it but wasn't allowed to do anything because it involves playing in the registry, something only level 2 techs are allowed to do. However, he subtly gave me a few keywords to use on Google to find the solution. It involves WinXP using 20% of the band by default for something or other, and reducing this amount to 0% instead. Didn't work. A call to tech support had them disable my firewall. Didn't work either.

-----END LONG VERSION-----

So now I'm looking for a way to disable all network error messages. Period. I already tried disabling the option "warn me if the connection is inexistent or intermittent". Didn't work.

So... how do I disable those stupid messages? There are no problems with my connection, so if I could simply get rid of the notices about false problems, I'd be happy.

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bug Muldoon   E-mail Bug Muldoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As a result, every 2 minutes, we get a brief error message stating "a network cable is unplugged" ("un câble réseau est débranché"). The error message appears in the bottom right corner of the screen and disappears on its own after a split second. We experience no connection problems whatsoever.
Try looking in your network properties screen for an unused connection, then disable it.

--------------------
All along the untrodden paths of the future, I can see the footprints of an unseen hand.

Posts: 6912 | From: Flanders | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nope, no unused connections.

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's see... trying to get the picture...

code:
DSL/Cable modem --> NIC #1 --> computer --> NIC #2 --> hub --> phone

Or

code:
DSL/Cable modem --> computer
'-> phone

A few solutions...

The tech is talking about Quality of Service. Disabling it will not resturn 20% of your bandwidth, but the QoS protocol might be incompatible with the modem. You can uninstall it in the network settings for your NIC.

That's 25 USD, please. [Smile]

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
interupt
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 02 posted      Profile for interupt   E-mail interupt   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Disabling Notification Balloons
Personal Computing

Give this a go, however it is noted it may not work for Network Notification Balloons. One of the few that M$ dont allow you to shut off.

Posts: 64 | From: Perth, Australia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Jason, AFAIK the second set-up is the one we have. Gonna have to check when I get home. I recall hearing the tech guy talking to the other guy with him (who was in training, AFAIK) about our connection being just over "10" and that they'd try lowering it to just below "10". Not sure if they were talking about the link speed or some other data. He did install a thingy between the modem and comp, gonna have to check what it is exactly too.

Anyway, thanks to you two for the suggestions, I'll try them this evening.

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On the "general" tab of your cable network connection properties, down at the bottom, is there a checkbox "Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity"? If it does, uncheck it. This won't solve the main problem, but it should solve the annoying annoyance.

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kev
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kev   E-mail Kev   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roadie4JCM:
On the "general" tab of your cable network connection properties, down at the bottom, is there a checkbox "Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity"? If it does, uncheck it. This won't solve the main problem, but it should solve the annoying annoyance.

He tried that. He mentions it under the "end long version part." That option does not get rid of the "network cable unplugged" message. They are different messages.

The "limited or no connectivity" is if the connection is recognized, but you can't obtain an IP (if using DHCP) or if the connection speed is really low or some other problem.

The "network cable is unplugged" message means it is not recognizing a connection at all. Usually it just pops the window up when you first lose the connection (or login) and then there is just an icon with a red "X" in the tray.

I don't know of a way to disable it. It's not a message that would usually be persistant. Usually you either have a connection that is actually broken and eventually fixed or you don't have a connection at all, in which case you disable the network connection in Windows.

I would suggest checking the website of the modem manufacturer just in case there is a firmware update the tech wasn't aware of.

--------------------
Austin Stars Drum & Bugle Corps | Kev's MySpace

Posts: 1126 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
D'oh! See what happens when I try to answer a technical problem before 7 am?

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou

Ok, let's see...

quote:

MSBBN: "A Network Cable Has Been Unplugged" Message Appears at Seemingly Random Intervals

I can't make head or tail of the article linked. I have nothing in my start menu that can be translated to "connect to" and do not understand what a "MN130" is supposed to be... [Confused]

quote:
Install a hub, switch or gateway in between the modem and computer.
The thingy mentionned in my previous post is labelled "2 way splitter". Does it do the trick?

quote:
Disabling Notification Balloons
Personal Computing

Give this a go, however it is noted it may not work for Network Notification Balloons. One of the few that M$ dont allow you to shut off.

Very nice tips! But I run WinXP Pro... so I have a slightly different registry. But I joined their Yahoo group and posted there, we'll see!

quote:
I would suggest checking the website of the modem manufacturer just in case there is a firmware update the tech wasn't aware of.
Just did that. Bleh. Apparently they delegate such things to cable companies. Gonna call and cross my fingers.

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Oualawouzou

It's amazing... So far I've talked to three level 1 techs. First one told me to disable the firewall. Second one told me the problem was the modem's model. Third one told me the problem is probably a defective wire or modem.

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

interupt
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for interupt   E-mail interupt   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oualawouzou:
Very nice tips! But I run WinXP Pro... so I have a slightly different registry. But I joined their Yahoo group and posted there, we'll see!

This should work on Win XP Pro. Believe me I had to run down when one of the managers at work logged a Critical Incident job, and I pelt down to have him ask me to "remove the annoying little speech bubbles every time I print."

[flame]

Posts: 64 | From: Perth, Australia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages