snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » About This Site » Snopes Spotting » Caffeine-Stoked Energy Drinks Worry Docs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Caffeine-Stoked Energy Drinks Worry Docs
diehard
Deck the Malls

Icon 02 posted      Profile for diehard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They are talking about energy drinks and snopes got a direct link again, way to go snopes!

Rumors have swirled around Red Bull for years. Contrary to hearsay, the ingredient taurine (an amino acid important in making bile to aid digestion) is not made from bull urine, and Mateschitz did not learn about Red Bull from rickshaw drivers in Thailand. The urban legends-debunking Web site http://www.snopes.com has a page devoted to exposing the false claim that Red Bull contains a banned substance linked to brain tumors.

linky

--------------------
Daddy "You are my "Special Angel" 1942-1999"

Posts: 440 | From: Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Towknie
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Towknie   E-mail Towknie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Crap! I've been preeminantly spanked! I was just coming to post my first snopes sighting!!

Anyhoo, they make reference to the fact that Red Bull was inspired by "tonics" in Asia. When I lived in Korea, such drinks abounded, and it was actually a national crisis because bus and taxi drivers were living on the stuff and causing accidents from unnoticed exhaustion.

The most evil energy drink available, and I'm sure it's still there, was made with ginseng and royal jelly. I watched a couple of my colleagues get hooked on that stuff, and it completely changed their personalities. Royal jelly is some awfully wicked stuff!!

They also had drinks with claims similar to today's chaser -- drink this and you won't be hung over in the morning. Basically nicotine and caffeine in liquid form. I was in a night club once on a Saturday night, and the bathroom attendant gave me a bottle of the stuff along with a "vitamin pill" (alright, I wasn't too bright in my early twenties). I was most certainly not hung over on Sunday morning, but I didn't sleep until Tuesday night!

Is this the next stage of domestic energy drinks?

--------------------
Towknie: Ryda-certified as wonderful, enlighted, and rational.

Posts: 1011 | From: Frisco, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages