snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » About This Site » Snopes Spotting » The Test

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Test
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 95 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://thestar.com.my/lifestyle/story.asp?file=/2006/1/15/lifefocus/13049673&sec=lifefocus
Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Repairman Jack
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Repairman Jack   Author's Homepage   E-mail Repairman Jack   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
GLUUUUUUURGE!

)#-o~

jack

PS but pretty damn sweet..ok im a sucker.

Posts: 59 | From: Amarillo, Texas | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Smiles777
Abba Zabba

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smiles777     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I concur, GLUUUURGE!

But hey, I can actually imagine a female doing this. They are keen that way. My loverly wife of a happy 17 year marriage still keeps me guessing.
Women are an enigma locked inside a paradox, but I find that part of the attraction. Just when you get to make heads or tails out of them, they'll do a 180' on ya just out of spite.
Gotta love 'em, just dont try to totally understand them, you'll lose. [Big Grin]

Still an interesting read . . . if you like fluffy bunny! (try it, its great)
Smi "deboned, and smoked with Cajun seasoning" les.

--------------------
"There's just something a little extra noble in protecting the person who's standing behind you telling you you're wrong all the time."
First of Two

Posts: 82 | From: Kansas City, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had asked my girlfriend to marry me, but she said I needed her fathers' blessing first.

I dutifully went to her fathers house, dressed in my best suit. When I got there, her younger (very attractive) sister was the only person home. She said I could come inside to wait.

She then started to flirt outrageously with me. She made it quite clear that if I followed her upstairs, I would get lucky. I ran for the front door.

I threw the front door open and bolted outside....straight into my girlfriends' father. He was smiling at me and gave me a big hug.

He explained that this had been a test of my love and fidelity to my girlfriend. I had passed with flying colours. He gave me his blessing on the spot.

I was so glad I had left my condoms in my car.

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Yleemjseg
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yleemjseg   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
See, here's the problem i have with these types of stories... he still gets the hot girl.

If this story had a proper moral to educate the masses of society, he would have been a bit disappointed at first, then found that he really did love the woman with the rose, because they had connected on a different level, and her appearance didn't matter.

Here, the ending seems to be "Phew! He almost got stuck with an ugly chick!"

I think the hot chick gets him to support her financially, while she carries on affairs by letter with other soldiers/sailors, whom she leaves this guy for when his usefulness has run out, or she finds a better prospect.
Yeah, that's how this one REALLY ends.

Posts: 225 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Moeko'sOwl
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moeko'sOwl     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Edited because I am a bean brain that didn't read the thread carefully, nothing to see here.

--------------------
We are all equal, be it before the eyes of God, or for our own sake. We are all worthy of the same fundamental rights, freedoms, and, protections. Mindless hatred is unjustifiable. -Squoval

Posts: 320 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Snafu
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snafu     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[lol]
Posts: 241 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Baggins
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Baggins   E-mail Mr. Baggins   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Besides what's already been stated, I have two main problems with this story:

quote:

“And there she stood. Her pale, plump face was gentle and sensible, her gray eyes had a warm and kindly twinkle. I did not hesitate. My fingers gripped the small worn blue leather copy of the book that was to identify me to her. This would not be love, but it would be something precious, something perhaps even better than love, a friendship for which I had been and must ever be grateful.

Why "this would not be love?". He's only seen her, and already discarded her as a romantic partner? To me, that destroys the whole point of the story (that Blanchard is able to see beyond mere appearance).

And then:

quote:

“I squared my shoulders and saluted and held out the book to the woman, even though while I spoke I felt choked by the bitterness of my disappointment.

A nitpick, maybe, but I can't see a military man saluting in this situation. Saluting a civilian is a much more serious matter than the author of this glurge seems to understand.

Yeah, that has probably been told millions of times (and in more appropiate threads), but I feel better now, thank you [Smile]

--------------------
"The system would also let you send your picture and contact details to a rough trade gay contact mailing list saying you like to be surprised with power tools in a non-consensual role play scenario – but that doesn’t mean you SHOULD do it.!"

Posts: 298 | From: Monterrey, Mexico | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Latiam
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 304 posted      Profile for Latiam   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Damian:
I had asked my girlfriend to marry me, but she said I needed her fathers' blessing first.

I dutifully went to her fathers house, dressed in my best suit. When I got there, her younger (very attractive) sister was the only person home. She said I could come inside to wait.

She then started to flirt outrageously with me. She made it quite clear that if I followed her upstairs, I would get lucky. I ran for the front door.

I threw the front door open and bolted outside....straight into my girlfriends' father. He was smiling at me and gave me a big hug.

He explained that this had been a test of my love and fidelity to my girlfriend. I had passed with flying colours. He gave me his blessing on the spot.

You aren't seriously trying to pass this off as true, are you? It's been emailed to me thrice.

--------------------
Good morning Starshine! The Earth says hello.

Posts: 119 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Latiam, I love that you used the word thrice.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 607 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Latiam:
You aren't seriously trying to pass this off as true, are you? It's been emailed to me thrice.

It seems my wacky escapades have become net lore.

Obviously it was a joke. It just works better when told in the first person.

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, indeed. And I was that sister.

Hans "Scrubs up well" Off!

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Latiam

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Latiam   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by candy from Ron Mexico:

I knew the Honours English degree would garner approval from someone...

--------------------

Posts: 119 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Latiam

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Latiam   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hans Off:
Yes, indeed. And I was that sister.

Hans "Scrubs up well" Off!

Which one?

--------------------

Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They also used the worst version of that story, that one that badly switches from third to first person halfway through.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
SO's ex sent him this, as an example of a beautiful romantic story.

I sent him Barbara's comments, and the re-write.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barbara
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Barbara   Author's Homepage   E-mail Barbara   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by candy from Ron Mexico:

Yeah, me too. You'd think people would be more forgiving, now that it's been shown not to explode birds.

Barbara "unpuffed thrice" Mikkelson

Posts: 2511 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barbara
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbara   Author's Homepage   E-mail Barbara   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Damian is not teasing the people, he's sharing a related UL:

http://www.snopes.com/weddings/embarrass/groomtest.asp

Barbara "there weren't nearly this many romance tests when I was dating" Mikkelson

Posts: 2511 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

I threw the front door open and bolted outside....straight into my girlfriends' father. He was smiling at me and gave me a big hug with his massive, manly arms.

Now, I've caught teh Gay, and the father and I are moving to Canada so we can get married. To hell with the daughters!

Robbiev -who's your girlfriend's daddy- 427

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages