snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Admin only » Admin Use Only » Steve Buscemi and Sept. 11th

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Steve Buscemi and Sept. 11th
greenphan
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Has this been mentioned here before? I stumbled across this last night:

Steve Buscemi helped out at Ground Zero (it's about 3/4 of the way down the page)

I knew he had been a fireman, but I didn't know he helped with the rescue efforts. Interesting...

--greenphan

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Teri, Sunshine In Japanese

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, it is true. Steve Buscemi is my favorite actor, I've seen him talk about it on a couple of different talk shows. It's also mentioned on his listing at the IMDB website.
Midway-Rare Burger Bill

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hummm, I wonder if this is "celebrity is really nice guy" stretched a bit to fit. According to this WABC story, Steve went to the firehouse after 9/11 but says nothing about helping out with the searching.

Found lots of "showed up at his old firehouse" in web-bios but they all match word for word the IMDB blurb - which in turn seems to be just a random submission.

Midway "brought the TV, Lazyboy and 25 cans of soup down to the basement on 9/12" Bill

Edit:
quote:
Originally posted by Teri, Sunshine In Japanese:
...I've seen him talk about it on a couple of different talk shows...

Teri, I don't mean to be mean - but he talked about being a NYC fireman (in the 80's) or actually helping with post 9/11 activity? Just to clarify... [Wink]
DiscoSox

Buscemi was on Letterman and he claimed that he spent 9/11 helping out at Ground Zero, and then spent a few more days there after that.
greenphan

I think it's probably true. If a former firefighter went to his former stationhouse, odds are he either meant to also help out at ground zero or was talked into it.

Irregardless, he's a damn fine actor even if he can't barfight at all.

--green "straight to the neck of the situation" phan

sherri_lu
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for sherri_lu   Author's Homepage   E-mail sherri_lu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Also he is the son of a fireman his brothers are fireman his uncle and Cousins are Frieman

quote:
Originally posted by greenphan:
I think it's probably true. If a former firefighter went to his former stationhouse, odds are he either meant to also help out at ground zero or was talked into it.

Irregardless, he's a damn fine actor even if he can't barfight at all.

--green "straight to the neck of the situation" phan

Posts: 1344 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms.Hollywood

There have been some celebrities (and plenty of non-celebrities as well!) that have used the cover of helping out with charity, etc., on Sept. 11 events as an opportunity to market themselves instead, but please, let's not let a few bad apples spoil the bunch! I think it is sad that now when people say they are helping out, etc., there is always someone there accusing of ulterior motives and doing an investigation of what they have done to measure if it is real, enough, etc.

Icon 302 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ms.Hollywood:
I think it is sad that now when people say they are helping out, etc., there is always someone there accusing of ulterior motives and doing an investigation of what they have done to measure if it is real, enough, etc.

Thank you, Ms. Hollywood. I couldn't agree more. I saw him on Letterman as well as on a couple of other shows. I don't remember which ones, as it's been many many months since I saw them. He said he worked at ground zero for 11 days and did it anonymously because he genuinely wanted to help. Steve Buscmei was a fire fighter before he was an actor, and like someone else posted, he has several family members that are fire fighters. He's a great guy, very intelligent and kind, and I don't think he was using his fame for anything. He worked at ground zero anonymously; obviously someone somewhere found out but I still think it says a lot about him. Yes, he's my favorite actor, and I might be biased, but I refuse to be skeptical about it. He's a former firefighter and a New Yorker-I don't think he'd lie about it. What would he have to gain, anyway? Half the world still doesn't know who he is.

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lego my Eggo.
Aelzemos, Summer Popsicle

Icon 601 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
guy, very intelligent and kind, and I don't think he was using his fame for anything. He worked at ground zero anonymously; obviously someone somewhere found out but I still think it says a lot about him. Yes, he's my favorite actor, and I might be biased, but I refuse to be skeptical about it. He's a former firefighter and a New Yorker-I don't think he'd lie about it. What would he have to gain, anyway? Half the world still doesn't know who he is.

I think what a lot of people were angry about was that many actors were using Ground Zero as a photo-op. In the days after it happened, actors were being given special tours, taken down when normal people couldn't get in, those who'd lost family members, etc. There was a huge double standard for 'hollywood' types. THEY were able to volunteer and help out when us 'little people' weren't (because most of us offered and tried to help).

But Buscemi is definitely a different story---I remember that there wasn't much said about his helping out because he *did* want to keep it low-key, whereas publicists for other stars were sending glowing accounts of how this actor spent hours handing out food, or that actor did this. Buscemi struck me as actually being genuine about it.

And Teri, I've passed him on the street before--he smiled at me:-).

Amanda "One of my favorites, too" S.

Ms.Hollywood

quote:
Originally posted by Aelzemos, Summer Popsicle:
quote:
guy, very intelligent and kind, and I don't think he was using his fame for anything. He worked at ground zero anonymously; obviously someone somewhere found out but I still think it says a lot about him. Yes, he's my favorite actor, and I might be biased, but I refuse to be skeptical about it. He's a former firefighter and a New Yorker-I don't think he'd lie about it. What would he have to gain, anyway? Half the world still doesn't know who he is.

I think what a lot of people were angry about was that many actors were using Ground Zero as a photo-op. In the days after it happened, actors were being given special tours, taken down when normal people couldn't get in, those who'd lost family members, etc. There was a huge double standard for 'hollywood' types. THEY were able to volunteer and help out when us 'little people' weren't (because most of us offered and tried to help).

But Buscemi is definitely a different story---I remember that there wasn't much said about his helping out because he *did* want to keep it low-key, whereas publicists for other stars were sending glowing accounts of how this actor spent hours handing out food, or that actor did this. Buscemi struck me as actually being genuine about it.

And Teri, I've passed him on the street before--he smiled at me:-).

Amanda "One of my favorites, too" S.

One disgusting display of 'celebrity opportunity' was Kirstie Alley. One whole day after the attack, she went on TV to gloat about how she had just filmed some public service announcement about the attack. She then threw in the fact that she did the same thing after the Oklahoma bombing. I couldn't believe it. That permamently altered my view of her.
Ms.Hollywood

I also hated how Tea Leoni referred to the baby she and hubby David Duchovny were having as their 'Sept.11 baby'. The way she said it, it was like she was talking about some revered fashion fad that she wanted to make sure she was part of.
DiscoSox

Icon 602 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a question about Tea Leoni and Kirstie Alley. Do they still qualify as celebrities?
chinpira
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 86 posted      Profile for chinpira   Author's Homepage   E-mail chinpira   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
People are suprised at the shallowness of hollywood celebrities? Noooooo! Seriously, though, what do you expect, these phonies will do photo ops and publicity stunts all day long but won't donate a penny of their earnings towards helping anybody! Just ask Rosie!
Posts: 5729 | From: HellPaso, TX | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages