snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » Why haven't you registered at the new ULMB yet? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why haven't you registered at the new ULMB yet?
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
snopes built a new message board at http://message.snopes.com. If you haven't registered yet, why not?

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 99 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dfresh
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dfresh   E-mail dfresh   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard there was a mandatory urine test to sign up at the new board.
Posts: 420 | From: Oxford, PA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dfresh:

Yeah, but if they don't find drugs, they give you some, so come on!

--------------------

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I need to break my addiction.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If you fail we won't steal your kidneys.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Goof
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Goof     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I did not ralize until today that there was a new message board. I was just linking there from the main Snopes page, and did not realize it was a new one and that I had to register. So I registered today, just waiting for authorization.

--------------------
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid,than to open it and remove all doubt."- Mark Twain

Posts: 426 | From: Tucson, AZ (The Old Pueblo) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Well, at least you don't have to stay up all night studying for it!
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:

I do, too, but that didn't stop me. C'mon, it won't be the same without you.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Come on GenYus. A little taste won't hurt anything. Besides, all the cool kids are doing it.

--------------------

Canuckistan

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I need to do a lot of things, too. Doesn't mean it'll happen.

Besides, this place is good for you. Just think how much smarter you've become since first joining!

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I clicked "Other" because I wanted to see the results, but I have registered at the new board so I'm probably messing up your statistics...
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
I clicked "Other" because I wanted to see the results, but I have registered at the new board so I'm probably messing up your statistics...

That's ok. My main purpose was to raise awareness anyway. The ones I'm most worried about are the ones who check 1 or 2. The 3s will come along eventually...

--------------------

1958Fury
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1958Fury   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I keep visiting the old board because those are the topics that show up on the main page. A thread looks interesting, I click it, and once I'm here, I keep poking around to see what else is going on.

But I'm on the new board too.

--------------------
I believe I'm growing skeptical of cynicism.
Myspace NWN Board

Posts: 917 | From: Nashville TN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MooseMacD
Sebring-a-Ding-a-Ding

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MooseMacD     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Gotta agree with 1958Fury - when the main Snopes page has the latest board topics on it I'll start using it. Until then I consider this board "THE" main board and the new board a "TEST" board.
Posts: 6 | From: Totowa, NJ | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
MooseMacD, no offense, but that makes no sense at all. This board has 3 or 4 topics that are just kind of going on because they haven't run out yet. The new board is full of topics and conversation. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "main Snopes page," but the new board has both New Posts and Today's Posts, while this board is a ghost town.

ETA: Here's a screen shot of the Today's Posts page, taken just now - there are 165 threads. Total Active Topics on this board? 22.

-

EATA: Oh, you probably mean the ULRP page. If you click on the Community button it takes you to the new board, isn't that official enough for you?

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
UrbanReindeer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UrbanReindeer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Umm ... because I didnt realize I needed to register again. I wondered why my login wasnt working. Duh.

--------------------
"He feeds the sparrows of the field, but He doesn't sit there and cram worms into their mouths." -- Mouse

Posts: 396 | From: Pasadena, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

quote:
Originally posted by NeeCD:
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "main Snopes page,"

This board feeds topics to the left hand sidebar on snopes.com. But the "snopes community" link at the top of the page links to the new board.

--------------------

ILS
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ILS   E-mail ILS   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
NeeCD:I'm not quite sure what you mean by "main Snopes page," but the new board has both New Posts and Today's Posts, while this board is a ghost town.
I'm in the same place as MooseMacD. The list of "New Message Board Topics" on the left side of www.snopes.com still reference topics from the "old" board. That is where I also start my surfing.

Once one clicks on a topic there, one is in the old system and all further surfing will continue there, unless one makes an effort to jump to the "new" boards.

EDIT: P.S. I'm also still waiting for my new account to be approved. So, I only have the ability to contribute to content on the old system.

Posts: 287 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I figured out what was meant by it after editing my post - I'm kind of slow sometimes. I think that by purposely holding out just because it isn't linked on the ULRP is kind of silly, though. Why limit yourself to a couple of old threads when there is all of the activity on the new boards? I can see moving between them (I have been), but to say "I won't do it" is taking it a bit too far.

--------------------

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kev
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kev   E-mail Kev   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yeah, I figured out what was meant by it after editing my post - I'm kind of slow sometimes. I think that by purposely holding out just because it isn't linked on the ULRP is kind of silly, though. Why limit yourself to a couple of old threads when there is all of the activity on the new boards? I can see moving between them (I have been), but to say "I won't do it" is taking it a bit too far.

Not to mention, as Spam & Cookies said, the new board is linked from the main page, that's where the "Snopes Community" link now goes. That, the fact that this board becomes read only on Monday, and the fact that nearly everyone has moved and the new board is more active than this one, would indicate to most people that the new board is the official board now. The fact that the message board topics fed to the main page are still from the old board is likely due to snopes not having had the time or been able to yet get that feature to work with the new board. Taking that as a measure of how official the new board is and refusing to use the new board because of it makes little sense I will agree, but to each his own I guess.

--------------------
Austin Stars Drum & Bugle Corps | Kev's MySpace

Posts: 1126 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MooseMacD:
Until then I consider this board "THE" main board and the new board a "TEST" board.

You can consider that all you want, but it won't make it true.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 303 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
IMHO, this board became "official" when snopes made this post on the 29th.

--------------------

Victoria J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Victoria J   E-mail Victoria J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You have to register.

I imagine there is a window for getting your post count and join day transferred. So you should register, and you can always decide not to post.

(Why, yes ! I can give you this addictive substance free. And I'm sure I'll have more available when you want it, though the price may have gone up just a bit...)

Other reasons :

1) It won't be the same without you.
2) The new board is all new and shiny. ( I already find it hard to post without all those
shiny new tools like the wysiwyg text editor and spellcheck)
3) You may develop much worse addictions instead.
4) As a fairly recent addict myself I can't stand to see other people escape* turn from the true Snopes way.

I'm sure there are many other reasons, but I could be on the new shiny board instead so I will leave it at 4.

New, Shiny, do you hear me ?

*but lacking in ability to strike out text.

Victoria J

--------------------
Post accompanied by maniacal laughter.

Posts: 577 | From: London, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JFB
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JFB   E-mail JFB   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
Just think how much smarter you've become since first joining!

I'm thinking of how much smarter I'll look when I'm the only one here!

J "Smart(ass)" FB

Posts: 472 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mattie
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mattie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh my goodness, thank you for the link!

I was automatically transferred to the new board location yesterday, and didn't realize I had to register until I tried to post. My log in failed, so I requested a new password. Oh, and I didn't have the "old" board linked, so wasn't able to get back here/didn't realize it was still active-ish.

I have been reading yesterday and today and figured out (kinda) that I needed to re-register, but was waiting to hear back on my pw request email as I didn't want to register when I didn't need to and cause problems.

Ok, off to register! [Smile]

--------------------
I don't want some pretty face to tell me pretty lies, all I want is someone to believe.

Posts: 1535 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MooseMacD
Sebring-a-Ding-a-Ding

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MooseMacD     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ILS:
quote:
NeeCD:I'm not quite sure what you mean by "main Snopes page," but the new board has both New Posts and Today's Posts, while this board is a ghost town.
I'm in the same place as MooseMacD. The list of "New Message Board Topics" on the left side of www.snopes.com still reference topics from the "old" board. That is where I also start my surfing.

Once one clicks on a topic there, one is in the old system and all further surfing will continue there, unless one makes an effort to jump to the "new" boards.

EDIT: P.S. I'm also still waiting for my new account to be approved. So, I only have the ability to contribute to content on the old system.

Yeah, I guess I could have been MUCH clearer in my original post. Like ILS said, from the main Snopes.com page this board still shows up on the left side with the new topics.

As I use Snopes mainly for the "What's New" and "Weird News" link rather than the boards, I didn't realize until a few days ago that there was a new board, or a link to it via the "Snopes Community" icon. I only tend to check the message boards when I saw an interesting topic in the "New" list on the main page.

Posts: 6 | From: Totowa, NJ | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
violetbon
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for violetbon   E-mail violetbon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've registered and all at the new board, but I really miss the left hand sidebar. With the new board, I have to hunt more to find new stuff. I imagine I still have a lot to learn. Also, I am in the habit of typing www.snopes.com, so I just find myself here. Will the new board eventually start appearing when I type www.snopes.com? I know that may be written somewhere and I haven't found it yet.
Posts: 193 | From: Seymour, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

quote:
Originally posted by MooseMacD:
As I use Snopes mainly for the "What's New" and "Weird News" link rather than the boards, I didn't realize until a few days ago that there was a new board, or a link to it via the "Snopes Community" icon. I only tend to check the message boards when I saw an interesting topic in the "New" list on the main page.

I was that way once, only checking on the new things on the ULRP, occasionally hitting the random page button to see what was there. And then one day I came to the ULMB - it sucked me in and I haven't been free of it since. Perhaps you should run while you still can... [Big Grin] (That goes for GenYus, too, although I really do think it's too late for him [Wink] )

--------------------

Spam & Cookies-mmm

Violetbon, if you click on  - on the main page, it'll take you to the new board. There's a tab on the board's toolbar to show you New Posts.

I used to get to this board by typing in "msg" and letting the rest of the address auto fill in my address bar. The new board is message.snopes.com, so I type "mess" and go from there.

--------------------

GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I was that way once, only checking on the new things on the ULRP, occasionally hitting the random page button to see what was there. And then one day I came to the ULMB - it sucked me in and I haven't been free of it since. Perhaps you should run while you still can... [Big Grin] (That goes for GenYus, too, although I really do think it's too late for him [Wink] )

Could be. I haven't checked the ULRP in weeks. [Embarrassed]

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

violetbon, if you type http://snopes.com, you will always go to the Reference Pages. The url for this message board is http://msgboard.snopes.com, and the url for the new board is http://message.snopes.com. The best way to get to the Message Board would be to bookmark it, even if snopes does eventually re-link the sidebar.

ETA partly spanked by Spam & Cookies - and she had a picture!

--------------------

Daniceguy
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daniceguy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm developing a "new" persona for the new board.

I think I'm gonna change some things...

--------------------
"Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes!"

"No it isn't."

Posts: 171 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pork Chop
Anchovy of a 1000 Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pork Chop   E-mail Pork Chop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm still waiting to be approved, as well.

--------------------
Have you heard the Word?
Praise Hircine!

Posts: 283 | From: Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Salamander
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Salamander   E-mail Salamander   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Unfortunately my great plan was ruined by the fact that this old board is going into read-only mode come January 8th.

As I expressed to someone else, I had envisioned myself being all alone in the old board -- becoming a solitary Phantom of the Opera/Quasimodo-esque figure... cackling madly as I swing from thread to thread, arguing with myself over whether excessive amounts of soy product caused Ford to pardon Nixon.

Still, I can dream can't I?

--------------------
"victory thru self-deception"

Posts: 2211 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dream on, Salamander, dream on. We all must have our dreams, at least until January 8.

You can cackle madly and swing from thread to thread at the new place, too, and we won't tell! We'll even hold your hand while you test the board. {{{hugs}}} One giant leap for the snopes community, one small step for Salamander! By the way, excessive amounts of soy product didn't cause Ford to pardon Nixon, it was. . . Aargh! They're coming to take me awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. . .

By the way, the "New Topics" panel is gone from the left-hand side of the URLP.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

quote:
Originally posted by Salamander:
I had envisioned myself being all alone in the old board -- becoming a solitary Phantom of the Opera/Quasimodo-esque figure... cackling madly as I swing from thread to thread, arguing with myself over whether excessive amounts of soy product caused Ford to pardon Nixon.

Still, I can dream can't I?

Now would probably be a good time to live those dreams. In five days it'll all be a memory.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages