snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » AP Poll: Santa Claus Endures in America

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: AP Poll: Santa Claus Endures in America
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 105 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Santa has lots going against him - school-yard rumors, older brothers who think they know the deal and tattle to the young ones, errant price tags, the tell-all Internet and so many Made in China labels it seems the North Pole has outsourced to Asia. Humbuggers everywhere. But no worries. It's a wonderful life for Santa.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20061223/D8M6GJ9G0.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is our second Santa-free year. Li'l Rdr was crushed to learn that Santa wasn't real, but we made it clear that it was her responsibility to never, ever tell another child that Santa wasn't real, that now she was a part of the International Adult Conspiracy.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The other day, little Ganz asked me: "Why do people celebrate Christmas?" So I had to tell him my secular version of the nativity. (That was kind of hard. I have had to explain about other religions before but never in detail. Then there is the whole question of why people who aren't even Christian celebrate it... It was long story!)

Then he asked about Santa so I began my secular version of St. Nicholas... which was fine, except when I got to the part where he dies and I noticed his pupils had become giant black holes. "But Santa," I quickly added, "Lives on in the name of St. Nick... He lives at the North Pole..." and suddenly all was right with his world. I guess his friends must have gotten to him this year about the Santa story -- he definitely didn't believe before. (No matter how hard we tried to convince him, I'd just told him so many tall tales that he won't belive them anymore.)

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Echinodermata Q. Taft
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I probably believed in Santa for a year or two longer than I would have, because of a second-grade teacher who gave us an eyewitness account of Santa arriving on her block (in a long red limousine rather than a sleigh -- this is southern California, after all).

This teacher told me a couple of other things that I occasionally wonder if they screwed me up for life. [Smile] One was that the fact that I was overly emotional (schoolyard translation: a "crybaby") meant I was getting my "grown-up feelings early" because I was senstive to things other kids weren't. Another time, on the same subject, she mentioned that it wasn't fair that it was more socially acceptable for girls to cry than boys. I had had at least some cross-gender feelings before that, but I sometimes wonder if that was an encouarging nudge. Actually, I tend to doubt the latter made much difference -- it's not like it was the first time I had encountered or thought of that theory -- but the first one may have been a well-intentioned mistake. Ah well, not much to be done about it now.

I did stop believing in the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy quite a while before I lost my faith in Santa, though.

--------------------
http://eqtaft.blogspot.com

Hope for the future! http://www.runobama.com

Posts: 3218 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
meanjelly
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for meanjelly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My son, who is 8, told me that santa is illogical this year.

I am kinda releaved that I do not have to do extra santa shopping every year.

--------------------
Education... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
G. M. Trevelyan (1876 - 1962), English Social History (1942)

Posts: 1443 | From: Portland, OR | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was little and asked questions (such as why the tags were in Mom's handwriting or why my parents had to stay up late assembling stuff) my mom said that Santa was very busy and they were helping him out. I remember the year I started to say that Santa wasn't real - my mom just told me that if I said that I didn't believe in Santa, then he wouldn't give me anymore gifts, but that I could help give Santa gifts now that I was older. It seemed like a fair compromise, and I still get Santa gifts. Thanks for helping the old guy out, mom. [Wink]

I guess it's the belief of the "spirit" of Santa more than anything, but last year (the first year I really lived alone on Christmas) when I woke up to empty stockings, I was still just a little bit disappointed.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mags
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mags     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had an older sister and two older cousins, who made sure that I knew Santa wasn't real. I don't even remember a time when I didn't "know the truth."

Oddly though, I still believe in him, in a way, at 30.

Posts: 550 | From: Springboro, OH | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
DD faked her belief in Santa Claus for at least one year, maybe two, after she figured it out. The last year she kept piling more and more cookies and cheese (because of that "Power of Cheese" ad) on Santa's plate. She later confirmed she did that as a prank on me, because she figured my don't-waste-food upbringing would require me to actually eat most of it. Sinister child.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[lol] My brother and I left out cheese and cookies for a couple of years. I mean, I was far too old, of course, but with a 14-years-younger sibling, pretending is necessary.

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
she figured my don't-waste-food upbringing would require me to actually eat most of it. Sinister child.

Was she right?

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J(ingle all the w)ay Temple:
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
she figured my don't-waste-food upbringing would require me to actually eat most of it. Sinister child.

Was she right?
Yes. Cookies, cheese, Hanukkah gelt (yes, she left Hanuukah gelt for Santa). Her honoray auntie was visiting, but is diabetic, so she could really only help with the cheese. Erp.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm pretty sure my niece must know what's going on (she's 10), but she's still playing along this year. I wonder if she thinks that presents are dependent upon believing?

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was in the mall early this afternoon picking up a few last minute things when I saw a child aged maybe three or four acting up and giving his dad a hard time. Dad knelt down, looked the child in the eye and said "Don't forget Santa is watching." The little guy straightened up and flew right after that! I loved it. Wish a simple remark like that could get my kids walking the straight and narrow [Cool]

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My parents refused to tell us that Santa was true. They said they simply didn't think it was a good idea to lie to children. I still have a lot of respect for them for that. (But I wish they'd told me to keep my mouth shut about it at school!)
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Echinodermata Q. Taft

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Christie:
I was in the mall early this afternoon picking up a few last minute things when I saw a child aged maybe three or four acting up and giving his dad a hard time. Dad knelt down, looked the child in the eye and said "Don't forget Santa is watching." The little guy straightened up and flew right after that! I loved it. Wish a simple remark like that could get my kids walking the straight and narrow [Cool]

A local morning radio DJ/comedy guy does a routine some years where parents can call him, and he calls back as Santa (using an electronic voice-deepener) and talks to the child, admonishing them for recent misbehavior and getting them to promise to be good. Don't know if it works well, but they have fun with it.

--------------------
http://eqtaft.blogspot.com

Hope for the future! http://www.runobama.com

Posts: 3218 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, I'm going to go off the glurge deep-end here so you've been warned.

I still believe in Santa. Not in the guy in the red suit & beard in all that. But definately in the spirit of Santa. Whenever the Marines collect Toys for Tots, that's Santa. When you pick an angel off an Angel Tree & provide for a child or senior citizen in need, that's Santa.
Santa is whats good & right in us this time of year. That part of us that picks up an extra Barbie doll or some Spiderman PJs to give to a kid who wouldnt' have a holiday season otherwise.
Some people may call it charity or human kindness or just plain decency toward their fellow man, but this time of year, I perfer to call it 'Santa'.

Sorry about the preceding glurge but I do really believe in Santa. I still put out cookies & hang my sock & he still fills it. I look forward to the day when my kids are older & we can all conspire together to be 'Santa' to each other.

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages