snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » Have Scientists Been Wrong? For 400 Years? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Have Scientists Been Wrong? For 400 Years?
geminilee
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geminilee   E-mail geminilee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mad Jay, if you say Bombay and Mumbai out loud, you will see that phonetically they are much the same. The name of the city hasn't changed, just the accuracy of our attempts to render another language into our alphabet. I can ask my boyfriend later, but I am pretty sure the actual name of the city in the language of the region hasn't changed, nor the pronunciation.
I apologize heartily for this longwinded post on a minor point, but hey, I am like that.
Also,
quote:
originally posted by Steve Eisenberg
In terms of being anti-science, there should be no comparison between anti-evolutionists, who merely deny the workings of the laws of physics in the distant past and/or when no one is measuring,

What does evolution have to do with physics, besides having to operate within the framework of physics along with everything else in the universe?
Nitpicky I know, but hey, I am like that, too.

--------------------
"Accompanied by the ghosts of dolphins, the ghost of a ship sailed on..." Terry Pratchett

Posts: 660 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silas Sparkhammer:
quote:
ETA - As long as we're talking of spelling, I have to say that I really enjoyed the new spelling of "Pointcare". Really, it should be spelled that way! [lol]
For the mathematician whose name I learned as "Poincare?" This is new to me. If it increases the accuracy of the transliteration, I'm somewhat in favor of it.
I don't know -- ask Troberg. He coined the word.

But I really like the 13th-14th century attitude toward spelling: any way that fits the mood! You think the Mumbai/Bombay thing is confusing? A long time ago, I counted how many diifferent spellings of the name Gawain are in Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. I don't remember how many but some of them you'd never know were the same name. Wowen? Is that another character? Nope, that's Gawain! As is Gawan, Wawan... If you're into old literature, you may have fun finding them on this online version:
http://www.celtic-twilight.com/camelot/gagk/page2.htm

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Eisenberg:
[...] I wouldn't hesitate to be cared for by one of the 34 percent of US physicians who prefer ID to evolution [...]

I hadn't noticed this post before. I would have thought that you, Steve E, of all people would know that the two theories are not strictly in opposition to each other. Many scientists (although I don't think many biologists), therefore, reconcile their belief in some sort of intelligent design with evolution and see no contradiction. So if asked whether they "prefer one or the other" what does that really mean? That they deny evolution? Absolutely not. It's a meaningless poll.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Eisenberg:
[...] I wouldn't hesitate to be cared for by one of the 34 percent of US physicians who prefer ID to evolution [...]

I hadn't noticed this post before. I would have thought that you, Steve E, of all people would know that the two theories are not strictly in opposition to each other. Many scientists (although I don't think many biologists), therefore, reconcile their belief in some sort of intelligent design with evolution and see no contradiction. So if asked whether they "prefer one or the other" what does that really mean? That they deny evolution? Absolutely not. It's a meaningless poll.
If the question really would have been "Do you prefer ID over evolution?", among the 34 % may be some that answered: "Well, actually I'd prefer ID, because it would give our existence that much more meaning in the greater scale of things - but alas, I'm pretty sure it's all just coincidence and evolution..."

In the actual poll, something similar seems to have happend: altough only 63% of thoses polled "agree more with evolution" (as opposed to ID), 78% accept evolution with only 15% rejecting it (and 7% undecided).

Don Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
ETA - As long as we're talking of spelling, I have to say that I really enjoyed the new spelling of "Pointcare".
Sorry. That's the result of trusting a bad spellchecker who thought that made more sense. It probably made some kind of sense to the spellchecker, which most names don't.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geminilee:
What does evolution have to do with physics. . .?

A number of creationists have said that evolution is inconsistent with the laws of thermodynamics. Henry Morris still makes this claim, although the "Answers in Genesis" web site has repudiated it.

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeaflessMapleTree:
Only if you're a biblical literalist. One could easily argue that what "really" happened was that the Earth was slowed/stopped (and by some miracle, didn't suddenly get sucked into the Sun), [snippy]

Stopping the Earth's rotation to make the sun appear to stand still in the sky would not cause the Earth to fall into the Sun. The Earth would still be in orbit around the Sun, it would just keep the same face pointing to the Sun at all times. Just like the Moon orbits the Earth and always shows the same side to the Earth, the Earth would have done the same to the Sun.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Grand Illusion
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grand Illusion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Grand Illusion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
quote:
Originally posted by LeaflessMapleTree:
Only if you're a biblical literalist. One could easily argue that what "really" happened was that the Earth was slowed/stopped (and by some miracle, didn't suddenly get sucked into the Sun), [snippy]

Stopping the Earth's rotation to make the sun appear to stand still in the sky would not cause the Earth to fall into the Sun. The Earth would still be in orbit around the Sun, it would just keep the same face pointing to the Sun at all times. Just like the Moon orbits the Earth and always shows the same side to the Earth, the Earth would have done the same to the Sun.
Some biblical scholars now theorize that, in the Joshua incident, the sun merely burned hotter than normal later in the afternoon (as if the hot midday sun was standing still). The hailstones mentioned at the same time might indicate a meteorological phenomenon was responsible for whatever happened with the sun, rather than an astronomical one (unless the "hail" was a meteorite shower or something).

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?" - The Brain

Posts: 587 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages