snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » High School Swim Team Forced to Practice in Cold Weather

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: High School Swim Team Forced to Practice in Cold Weather
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 96 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Freezing temperatures, ice on the deck, frosty breath - everyone in the pool!

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/1221SwimOut21-ON.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Er... is that healthy? I suppose it depends on how long their practice sessions last. I would think hypothermia would be a concern.

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jimmy101
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimmy101   E-mail jimmy101   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The air temperature is really not all that relevant.

Yes, it'll be uncomfortable when you are out of the pool but "(t)he pool at Eagleridge Tennis and Swim Club is 87 degrees." So we're not talking about air temperatures below freezing and water temperature just above freezing.

Swimmers don't usually spend much time out of the water during practice.

Posts: 629 | From: Greenwood, IN | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, but their heads probably spend quite a bit of time out of the water - listening to instructions, breathing...

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jimmy101
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimmy101   E-mail jimmy101   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeaflessMapleTree:
Yeah, but their heads probably spend quite a bit of time out of the water - listening to instructions, breathing...

You would be surprised at how warm the layer of water on their head will keep their head when it is out of the water. The heat capacity of water is much greater than air. In fact, I would suspect that it isn't the air temperature that makes you feel cold but the heat lost as the water on your head evaporates.

Ive been swimming many times in heated pools when the air temperature was near freezing. It really isn't that bad until you get out of the pool. Even when your head is out of the water it takes a while to really notice how cold it is, and a quick dunk underwater quickly fixes that.

Posts: 629 | From: Greenwood, IN | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Were they swimming in a heated pool? If so, I missed that part, I was under the assumption that they were just swimming in a regular non-heated pool.

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy101:
quote:
Originally posted by LeaflessMapleTree:

You would be surprised at how warm the layer of water on their head will keep their head when it is out of the water. The heat capacity of water is much greater than air. In fact, I would suspect that it isn't the air temperature that makes you feel cold but the heat lost as the water on your head evaporates.

Ive been swimming many times in heated pools when the air temperature was near freezing. It really isn't that bad until you get out of the pool. Even when your head is out of the water it takes a while to really notice how cold it is, and a quick dunk underwater quickly fixes that.

I've never been swimming when it was colder than around 45F, but I second this. The water feels great, and you don't notice the cold air once you're in the pool. And hopefully you have a dry person go into the locker room and turn on the showers and then hold the door open for you to run right from the pool to the shower.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never gone swimming outdoors in cold weather, but sitting in a hot tub on a cold night with snow falling is wonderful.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages