snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » 17-year-old gets 10 years in prison for having consensual oral sex with a 15-year old (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 17-year-old gets 10 years in prison for having consensual oral sex with a 15-year old
gunshy
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gunshy   E-mail gunshy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As for the age of consent, it is 16 in Georgia. The law in Georgia provides if one person is 14 or 15 years old and the other person is within three years of age and they have intercourse, it is only a misdemeanor and no sexual offender registry. However, if they have oral sex, like in this exact situation, then it is a felony that carries the 10-year sentence and sexual registration. That is where the true problem in the law is.

http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/story?id=1710300

Posts: 9 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
why is intercourse a misdemeanor* and oral a felony?

also: [Frown]

* nearly typed that as "misdemeanour....ah, British English, how I love you.

--------------------
Hello, I love you - won't you tell me your name?
Hello! I'm good for nothing - will you love me just the same?

Greetings from the dark side...

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jonny T:

Probably because oral or anal sex are considered "deviant" sexual intercourse in common law.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 209 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That is just sad and doesn't make sense. Oral sex is a felony while intercourse is not. [Confused]

Of course, the "fix" is to add "oral sex" to the list of "if one person is 14 or 15 years old and the other person is within three years of age and they have intercourse, it is only a misdemeanor and no sexual offender registry..." law.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Ma-humbug:
quote:

Probably because oral or anal sex are considered "deviant" sexual intercourse in common law.

Pogue

I am guessing it's got something to do with the gays.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gunshy
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gunshy   E-mail gunshy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Two questions:

1. don't DA have discretion about what case
they go after? What is with southern Prosecutors?
Do they have no common sense?

2. Who here thinks this would have been pursued
if the girl was 17 and the boy 15? The biased
against men in these type cases are unbelievable.

Posts: 9 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bubby
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bubby   E-mail Bubby       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Generally, I think the man is went after because:

A. They are generally the instigator, although not always true men seem to be more likely to be the one to pressure the girl into doing something...

B. The consequences are harder on the girl if something goes wrong... pregnancy for instance and STDs are supposed to be more sevcere in the case of women.

Posts: 110 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's just wrong. Granted, I'm not a die hard supporter of statutory rape, but 10 years in prison?? [Roll Eyes] Sheesh! Why don't we just stone him to death? It would make about as much sense.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
keokuk
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keokuk     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It's also possible that when they updated the law to be less restrictive, they just overlooked that it didn't update non-intercourse acts as well.
Posts: 345 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So because he didn't go "all the way" and risk getting her pregnant he has to go to jail? What sense does that make?

I hope this case opens enough eyes to get that stupid law fixed. And I hope that poor boy wins his appeal.

I don't hold with teen sex because I think it's just a bad idea, but I don't think kids should be sent to prison for it.

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ten years in prison.

*shakes head*

There's a big flap in my community (and deservedly so) because a white man shot and killed a black man who was seeing the white man's ex girlfriend and the all white jury sentenced the murderer to 3 years in jail.

All that racial stuff aside (and yes, in this part of the country, none of that is coincidence) I can't understand how someone can commit cold blooded, premeditated murder, and serve three years, and two kids screwing around and the boy gets ten years? Insanity.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The article posted mentions a video and other boys, was this case brought up because of some sex tape that was filmed involving the 15 year-old girl and other boys? I'd be curious how it got into the hands of police in the first place. It's all so insane, such a long prison sentence for having oral sex with someone 2 years your junior. Madness. [Frown]

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
callee
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for callee         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr:
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Ma-humbug:
quote:

Pogue

I am guessing it's got something to do with the gays.
not sure if you're serious or not, but the abc article seems to infer that the law was written by democrats, but with an entirely different intent than this application:

quote:
And a state legislator who helped pass the molestation law said it was never meant to police teen sex.
"The legislative intent was to protect women and children from sexual predators," said Rep. Tyrone Brooks, a Democrat in the Georgia State Assembly

--------------------
a moment for old friends now estranged, victims of the flux of alliances and changing perceptions. There was something there once, and that something is worth honoring as well. - John Carroll

Posts: 3375 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was quite serious, callee, sadly. And aa Georgia Democrat is a very different animal than, say, a Michigan Democrat, but I'm glad they're protecting children and women from sexual preditors. You poor men'll have to defend yourselves.

And just because I am a member of the Democratic Party doesn't mean I agree with everything its other members do.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
callee

Icon 1 posted      Profile for callee         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

And just because I am a member of the Democratic Party doesn't mean I agree with everything its other members do.

didn't meant to say that you did; I just thought that an ulterior anti-gay agenda might be less likely from an officially pro-gay party, yes?

--------------------
a moment for old friends now estranged, victims of the flux of alliances and changing perceptions. There was something there once, and that something is worth honoring as well. - John Carroll

Posts: 3375 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

To be honest, callee, I think the Democratic Party is pretty anti-gay, as well, what with the passage of DoMA by Clinton, and the multitudes of Democrats voting in favor of anti-gay marriage bans and such.

It makes me sad.

--------------------

callee

quote:
To be honest, callee, I think the Democratic Party is pretty anti-gay, as well, what with the passage of DoMA by Clinton, and the multitudes of Democrats voting in favor of anti-gay marriage bans and such.

It makes me sad.

well, admittedly, most of my knowledge of democrats comes from the westwing.

ETA

on another interesting note, when I first posted above that I "didn't know whether you were serious or not" I was 98% sure that I was being overly-anal again and you were going to respond "calm down callee, I was just making a joke." Another great example how, in general, you can't rush to judgement on the tone and intent of someone's post.

--------------------

Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bubby:
B. The consequences are harder on the girl if something goes wrong... pregnancy for instance and STDs are supposed to be more sevcere in the case of women.

The physical consequencs (in the case of pregnancy) may be worse, but rape is rape is rape. A woman who gets pregnant from her rape and a woman who doesn't have both suffered the same trauma.

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

quote:
Originally posted by callee:
quote:

It makes me sad.

well, admittedly, most of my knowledge of democrats comes from the westwing.

*sigh*

That makes me so sad. Aaron Sorkin demonstrates the potential of the party, but the reality is so disappointing and annoying.

quote:
ETA

on another interesting note, when I first posted above that I "didn't know whether you were serious or not" I was 98% sure that I was being overly-anal again and you were going to respond "calm down callee, I was just making a joke." Another great example how, in general, you can't rush to judgement on the tone and intent of someone's post.

I think it could be called "joking on the square," which is, if I understand the concept, means I said it for comic effect, but it was also true. Is there another Franken afficianado who can back me up or correct me as necessary here?

--------------------

Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think it could be called "joking on the square," which is, if I understand the concept, means I said it for comic effect, but it was also true. Is there another Franken afficianado who can back me up or correct me as necessary here?

Slight nitpick: the term Franken uses is "kidding on the square," but your summary is essentially correct.

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

quote:
Originally posted by Dara bhur gCara:
quote:

Slight nitpick: the term Franken uses is "kidding on the square," but your summary is essentially correct.
That's right! I knew that "joking on the square" didn't sound right.

Thanks, Dara.

--------------------

asnakeny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for asnakeny   Author's Homepage   E-mail asnakeny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by keokuk:
quote:

It's also possible that when they updated the law to be less restrictive, they just overlooked that it didn't update non-intercourse acts as well.
Actually the law was amended this year to make consensual oral sex among minors a misdemeanor; however, the law was not made retroactive, and since this incident happened before the statute revisions, the judge felt bound to honor the 10-year sentence requirement.

See here for more in-depth legal discussions on the subject.

--------------------
Is here no telephone?

Posts: 323 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fusca 1976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fusca 1976   E-mail Fusca 1976   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by asnakeny:
the law was not made retroactive,

This is the craziest thing I ever read... isn't there a standard procedure about retroactivity in American Law? Does it really need to be handled case by case?

That's even weirder than baseball...!

Luís Henrique

Posts: 4498 | From: Brasília, Distrito Federal, Brazil | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

quote:
Originally posted by Fusca 1976:
quote:
Originally posted by asnakeny:
the law was not made retroactive,

This is the craziest thing I ever read... isn't there a standard procedure about retroactivity in American Law? Does it really need to be handled case by case?

That's even weirder than baseball...!

Luís Henrique

Protection against prosecution from laws passed Ex post facto is a Constitutional right, found in Article 1, Section 8.

--------------------

Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The problem arises in part because about ten or twelve years ago, the Republicans pushed hard for mandatory sentencing and for criminalizing a broad swath of sexual behaviors. The legislature, at the time Democratic by a thin majority, went along with it because they were painted as "anti-family" at election time if they didn't. So now we have a mandatory sentence levied on the seventeen-year-old; the legislature made sure that the governor CANNOT extend clemency; and it's even problematic whether the State Board of Pardons and Paroles can extend clemency. And, yes, the ex post facto provision prevents him from being exonerated under the new misdemeanor law.

It's crazy. About five or six years ago, the fifteen-year-old son of some friends of ours had sex with his fifteen-year-old girl friend, who got angry at him some time later and told her mom what they had been doing. She had the boy charged with statutory rape. The judge questioned the girl, who said she had more or less seduced him (and also added that he wasn't her first).

So the judge found them both guilty of statutory rape. They raped...each other.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Artemis:
quote:
Originally posted by Bubby:

The physical consequencs (in the case of pregnancy) may be worse, but rape is rape is rape. A woman who gets pregnant from her rape and a woman who doesn't have both suffered the same trauma.
Also, in the case of oral sex, I don't believe the risk of pregnancy is very high.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, one thing that makes me feel better is that the kid convicted is indeed a rapist. From the article
Linky
In a portion of a tape obtained by "Primetime," Wilson, then 17 and an honor student and star athlete who was homecoming king, is seen having intercourse with a 17-year-old girl, who was seen earlier on the bathroom floor. During the sex act, she appears to be sleepy or intoxicated but never asks Wilson to stop. Later on in the tape, she is seen being pulled off the bed

He does deserve to be jailed, just not for the oral sex with the 15 year old. It's a pity he wasn't convicted for the real crime.

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
callee

quote:
Originally posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo.:
Well, one thing that makes me feel better is that the kid convicted is indeed a rapist. From the article
Linky
In a portion of a tape obtained by "Primetime," Wilson, then 17 and an honor student and star athlete who was homecoming king, is seen having intercourse with a 17-year-old girl, who was seen earlier on the bathroom floor. During the sex act, she appears to be sleepy or intoxicated but never asks Wilson to stop. Later on in the tape, she is seen being pulled off the bed

He does deserve to be jailed, just not for the oral sex with the 15 year old. It's a pity he wasn't convicted for the real crime.

I think you might be rushing to judgement. You haven't seen the tape. The article says that he was initially charged with that rape (of the 17 year old) but then, after viewing the entire tape themselves, the jury ruled that there was sufficient evidence that it was consensual. Sure, the jury could be out to lunch in their interpretation of the tape, but I think seeing it ourselves would be a necessary prerequisite to second-guessing them, yes?

--------------------

Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Linky

I think you might be rushing to judgement. You haven't seen the tape. The article says that he was initially charged with that rape (of the 17 year old) but then, after viewing the entire tape themselves, the jury ruled that there was sufficient evidence that it was consensual. Sure, the jury could be out to lunch in their interpretation of the tape, but I think seeing it ourselves would be a necessary prerequisite to second-guessing them, yes?
If the description is valid, and the person is on the bathroom floor, seems intoxicated during sex, and then later has to be pulled off of the bed, then, yes, they are unable to give consent. Sorry, but I don't trust public opinion, judges, or the law on matters of what is and is not rape.

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
callee

quote:
If the description is valid, and the person is on the bathroom floor, seems intoxicated during sex, and then later has to be pulled off of the bed, then, yes, they are unable to give consent. Sorry, but I don't trust public opinion, judges, or the law on matters of what is and is not rape.

Note your appropriate use of if. You only know that description from the popular media. You say you do not trust judges or public opinion, but you will trust the popular media to get this right? It is starting to look like you are eager to see this guy as guilty, and will accept any supporting evidence as legit, even if it's as dubious as a quick description in the popular media. when it comes to throwing a person in jail or not, I think we should be more discriminating.

--------------------

Elbe
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elbe   Author's Homepage   E-mail Elbe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I'd rather trust judges and the law over primetime when it comes to what is and is not in a tape that I haven't seen.

--------------------
Nobody loves Elbe...
-The Adventure of the Avatar Tutorials (3/29)

Posts: 2776 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

quote:
You say you do not trust judges or public opinion, but you will trust the popular media to get this right?

Not the popular media, the DA.

--------------------

callee

No, the DA is not a credible source in this instance, since it is infact their job to present one side, i.e. the prosecution. The DA will spin the tape as evidence of guilt, the Defence will spin it as evidence of innocence. Surely you would not accept the word of either as a balanced and objective view of the facts at hand, would you? If so, then you've literaly fallen to the level of saying "he must be guilty, the prosecution said so" which is really just "he must be guilt, because the man whose job it is to say that he is guilty said so" which is really just one step away from "he must be guilty, they arrested him, didn't they?"

Innocent until proven guilt by a jury of your peers is a cornerstone of our democracy and cannot be tossed aside just because we think the guy is a [terrorist, arab, rapist, etc., fill in the blank].

--------------------

Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

quote:
No, the DA is not a credible source in this instance, since it is infact their job to present one side, i.e. the prosecution.

I disagree. Considering the difficulty in getting rapes prosecuted in the first place, and doubled with the fact that the woman reported the conduct as rape, I'd say the fact the DA decided to pursue is far more belivable than the Jury deciding not to convict.

Yes, we must follow due process of law. However, that doesn't mean that justice was done.

Despite the fact, I have amended my statment to say "apparently"

--------------------

Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

Forgot, we have that new edit limit. So. It remains as such. However, I will tacitly amend to "apparently" he is a rapist.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages