snopes.com
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » Lawmaker won't apologize for 'Islamophobic' letter

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lawmaker won't apologize for 'Islamophobic' letter
TallGeekyGirl
O Read, O Read, The Manual

Icon 301 posted      Profile for TallGeekyGirl   Author's Homepage   E-mail TallGeekyGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
A Virginia congressman will not apologize for writing that without immigration reform "there will be many more Muslims elected to office demanding the use of the Quran," his spokesman said.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/12/20/lawmaker.koran/index.html

Makes me ashamed to be a Virginian... [flame]

--------------------
See, if I tell you about it, it won't be a mystery. It'll just be a fact, an ugly, moist fact, squatting on your brain like an octopus. And you don't want an octopus squatting on your brain, do you, son? -- Stan Smith, American Dad

Posts: 980 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Goode used to be a Democrat, but he switched parties several years ago. To which I say, Goode riddance.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gydna
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gydna     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
What mystifies me is that there must already be some Jewish members, what do they swear on? This guy must be so isolated from reality that he has forgotten them plus any atheists or Protestant sects that refuse to swear oaths.

--------------------
Churchill drank, smoked and was a successful amateur painter. Hitler was a teetotal, vegetarian, animal loving failed professional painter. Draw your own conclusions!

Posts: 34 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 303 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Islamo-chow

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
Islamo-chow

I disagree, because that's a thread about a related subject, which has featured a sub-debate on the letter in question. This on the other hand is a thread about the letter itself.

I reject and, indeed, scorn your Chow, sir! Fie!

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 303 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Ah, but the link I provided -- Mr. Taf's specific post in said debate -- includes the same story linked to in the OP here.

I scoff at thee, sir! I scoff in thy general direction!

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gydna:
What mystifies me is that there must already be some Jewish members, what do they swear on?

I don't know offhand. I do know that there is only one Jewish Republican in Congress, Eric Cantor, and he's also from Virginia. Another Virginia congressman, Jim Moran, got in some well-deserved hot water a few years ago for a stupid remark he made about Jewish views on the war in Iraq, and Cantor came down on him like a sledgehammer. It'll be interesting to see if he is equally hard on Goode. I kinda doubt it, though.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
What mystifies me is that there must already be some Jewish members, what do they swear on?

The Hebrew Scriptures.

I actually have a copy of the Hebrew Scriptures that belonged to my grandfather, who dabbled in Bible scholarship. It has a Star of David on the front and say "Holy Bible" on the spine.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ULTRAGLORIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ULTRAGLORIA     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
What mystifies me is that there must already be some Jewish members, what do they swear on? This guy must be so isolated from reality that he has forgotten them plus any atheists or Protestant sects that refuse to swear oaths.

They don't swear on anything. The oath is administered en masse right after they elect their speaker for a new session.

http://clerk.house.gov/members/memFAQ.html#oath

Individual members very often then have a photo op afterwards with their hand on their book-of-choice. But it's not part of the oath (or affirmation) itself.

Tempest in a bloody thimble.

Not to mention this relavent bit of the Constitution:

Article VI, clause 3
quote:

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the members of the several state legislatures, and all executive and judicial officers, both of the United States and of the several states, shall be bound by oath or affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.

Emphasis mine.

--------------------
A Lie can run around the world before the Truth can get its boots on. - Terry Pratchett

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions; but everyone is not entitled to their own facts. - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Posts: 2495 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I think Virgil Goode is a brilliant name. Though to be in with a chance of winning the Buford T Justice Memorial Trophy For Stereotypically Southern Names he should really be utilising a middle initial.

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Daniceguy
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daniceguy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Sad, so sad. Virgil Goode used to by MY representative....

...back when I lived in Virginia

...back when he was a Democrat

...back before, apparently, he took one too many blows to the head!

--------------------
"Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes!"

"No it isn't."

Posts: 171 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
I scoff at thee, sir! I scoff in thy general direction!

I'm glad the kerfuffle is over.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
A Virginia congressman will not apologize for writing that without immigration reform "there will be many more Muslims elected to office demanding the use of the Quran," his spokesman said.
quote:
CAIR officials noted that Ellison traces his family roots in the United States back to 1742.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dara bhur gCara:
I think Virgil Goode is a brilliant name. Though to be in with a chance of winning the Buford T Justice Memorial Trophy For Stereotypically Southern Names he should really be utilising a middle initial.

Aye, but the ones who REALLY had it down to an art form were the English Puritans, who could, with a straight face, christen a lad "Fly Fornication and Testify to the Wrath of the Lord Jones."

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
From Virgil Goode's letter:
quote:
The Ten Commandments and "In God We Trust" are on the wall in my office. A Muslim student came by the office and asked why I did not have anything on my wall about the Koran. My response was clear, "As long as I have the honor of representing the citizens of the 5th District of Virginia in the United States House of Representatives, The Koran is not going to be on the wall of my office." Thank you again for your email and thoughts.
Uh...shouldn't his response have been "because our consitutional freedom of religion allows me to be a Christian, and to display my beliefs within my office as I see fit"?

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lgreywolf
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lgreywolf   E-mail Lgreywolf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Methuselah:
From Virgil Goode's letter:
quote:
The Ten Commandments and "In God We Trust" are on the wall in my office. A Muslim student came by the office and asked why I did not have anything on my wall about the Koran. My response was clear, "As long as I have the honor of representing the citizens of the 5th District of Virginia in the United States House of Representatives, The Koran is not going to be on the wall of my office." Thank you again for your email and thoughts.
Uh...shouldn't his response have been "because our consitutional freedom of religion allows me to be a Christian, and to display my beliefs within my office as I see fit"?
Well, yes; to a rational, intelligent person who's not brimming with xenophobia and self-righteous anger. Which this guy clearly is not.

--------------------
"Most Jewish holidays can be summed up very simply: They tried to kill us. We won. Let's eat." - my in-laws' Rabbi.

Posts: 430 | From: North of Boston, MA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dara bhur gCara:

Virgil B. Goode?
Go go
Go Virgil go
Go go go Virgil go
Go go go Virgil go
Go go go Virgil go
Go
Virgil B. Goode

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Adelaide
Remembrances of Things Bass

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adelaide   E-mail Adelaide   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Ma-humbug:

Go go
Go Virgil go
Go go go Virgil go
Go go go Virgil go
Go go go Virgil go
Go
Virgil B. Goode

Pogue

It just doesn't have the same pizazz when you consider that Goode is pronounced with an extremely long "oo" sound - not so much like the word "good", more like Goooooooooode.

Actually, it rhymes with "lewd", which I think is more appropriate.

--------------------
Natural selection is a beguiling counterfeiter of deliberate purpose. - Richard Dawkins

Posts: 620 | From: Alaska | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages