snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » Eminent domain plaintiff sends un-merry greeting

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eminent domain plaintiff sends un-merry greeting
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 02 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The woman at the center of the national battle over property rights has some less-than-joyous tidings for the people involved in using eminent domain to take her house to make way for private development.

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/1220poetry-ON.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surfcitydogdad     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
She should have send "pooping peasants." Real ones.

--------------------
Only when we remake ourselves can we remake the world.
- Outer Limits (2001)

Posts: 559 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is anyone else puzzled at the use of eminent domain in this context? I can understand the state using coercive powers to secure assets essential to the state, like saltpetre mines, but here the power is being used to allow a condo development. That seems rather strange.
Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zachary Fizz:
Is anyone else puzzled at the use of eminent domain in this context? I can understand the state using coercive powers to secure assets essential to the state, like saltpetre mines, but here the power is being used to allow a condo development. That seems rather strange.

It is strange - and wrong - but it makes financial sense.

Imagine a blighted waterfront area in a place like Florida, where there are a few dozen houses valued about $50,000 each. Now imagine those houses replaced with highrise condominiums, with unit prices starting at $400K, and with commercial developments alongside. If you're mayor, which tax base would you prefer?

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"It's amazing anyone could be so vindictive when they've made so much money," said Gail Schwenker-Mayer, a development supporter who received one of the cards.
Gosh, yes - money! Surely everybody is happy with lots of money, no matter what you do to them! For flip's sake, it's not like she chose to get into that situation for profit - she's being compensated for a forced eviction from her home and a major relocation. And she's apologised for the message already!

I don't understand why that law would be used for a private property development either - I thought compulsory-purchase laws were usually for state projects such as new roads or railways.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
quote:
"It's amazing anyone could be so vindictive when they've made so much money," said Gail Schwenker-Mayer, a development supporter who received one of the cards.
Gosh, yes - money! Surely everybody is happy with lots of money, no matter what you do to them! For flip's sake, it's not like she chose to get into that situation for profit - she's being compensated for a forced eviction from her home and a major relocation. And she's apologised for the message already!

I don't understand why that law would be used for a private property development either - I thought compulsory-purchase laws were usually for state projects such as new roads or railways.

Well we know that money is the only thing important in the world, right? That attitude is disgusting.

Usually they justify private property development by pointing out the tax benefit to the city, county, whatever. There has been a movement to toughen these laws due to outrage by citizens over some of these people getting pushed around.

ETA: What Spam said...

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:

Most peoople in the US agree that this use of eminent domain laws is wrong. The Supreme Court decision in the New London case was very unpopular. Legislators in some states, including mine, have been working on tightening state laws to prevent the use of eminent domain for private development.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
funkyteapots
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for funkyteapots   E-mail funkyteapots   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Or it could be used to buy property to build a shiny, new, privately owned football stadium.

--------------------
Also...I can kill you with my brain. ~River Tam

Posts: 37 | From: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My problem with her cards is that she's now trying to say she meant it in a humorous manner.

If it's supposed to be funny, she has a deficient sense of humor.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Or an athletic village...

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mistletoey Chloe:
Or an athletic village...

Approved in March, teardown scheduled in June? Sounds like someone is trying to rush the demolition before a challange can be ramped up.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 02 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
See, this is what I think is very wrong in America. Families are forced out of their homes to make way for private development. It's horrible. Where's the security and stability? If you and your family have lived in your home for years, why is it ok for someone to come along and force you to move out, just because the real estate values have risen in your area? It's just not right!

Look at Poletown Detroit. All those people displaced so that NFBSKing Detroit/Hamtramck Assembly plant could be built and now what? That wasn't just a place where a plant could be built. That was their homes.

And if it can happen to them and Suzette Kelo, it can happen to any of the rest of us.

ETA: Wikipedia link regarding Poletown Detroit which references Kelo vs City of New London.

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tagurit:
See, this is what I think is very wrong in America. Families are forced out of their homes to make way for private development.

What a marvellously sweeping statement.

And inaccurate, if you think that no states have taken steps to block this very thing.

Seaboe.

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Florida just passed an amendment to the state constitution to ban this kind of eminent domain attack. I think several others did the same thing, but I'm too lazy to google the news about it.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm:
Florida just passed an amendment to the state constitution to ban this kind of eminent domain attack. I think several others did the same thing, but I'm too lazy to google the news about it.

Nine states, including Michigan, passed similar laws in 2006: Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Nevada, New Hampshire, North
Dakota, Oregon, and South Carolina.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hubert Cumberdale
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubert Cumberdale   E-mail Hubert Cumberdale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Kelo, one of the last holdouts, this year accepted a $442,155 settlement, more than $300,000 above the 2000 appraised value of her house. Her pink cottage will be moved elsewhere in the city
As much as this sucks and is pretty wrong, she is making a nice profit and still keeping her home. Although I don't know if they should be using a 6 year old appraisal to determine the value.
Posts: 835 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Hubert Cumberdale:
quote:
Kelo, one of the last holdouts, this year accepted a $442,155 settlement, more than $300,000 above the 2000 appraised value of her house. Her pink cottage will be moved elsewhere in the city
As much as this sucks and is pretty wrong, she is making a nice profit and still keeping her home. Although I don't know if they should be using a 6 year old appraisal to determine the value.
That was probably the appraisal at the time the eminent domain was first filed. Six years is actually quite fast when you consider this issue went up to SCOTUS.

Seaboe

--------------------

tagurit

Icon 221 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker:
quote:
See, this is what I think is very wrong in America. Families are forced out of their homes to make way for private development.

What a marvellously sweeping statement.

And inaccurate, if you think that no states have taken steps to block this very thing.

Yeah, how blindly emotional of me. That Poletown relocation was right in my back yard. Forgive me for reacting without research. I do thank you for correcting me.

ETA: Although I'm happy to hear steps are being taken to block this activity, unfortunately it's still going on, witness the OP. So, forgive me once again, but as long as people can be forced out of their homes to make way for private development, I reserve the right to be enraged about it.

--------------------
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 604 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker:
My problem with her cards is that she's now trying to say she meant it in a humorous manner.

If it's supposed to be funny, she has a deficient sense of humor.

Not quite what she said, Seaboe.
quote:
"My card was meant as much in humor as it was in frustration," she said. "What I wrote shouldn't be taken as my literal wish for anyone. I'm heartbroken that this will be my last Christmas in Fort Trumbull and what I wrote rose out of that fact, but the bottom line is, it was over the top."

--------------------
---
AAMAH

Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
ETA: Although I'm happy to hear steps are being taken to block this activity, unfortunately it's still going on, witness the OP.

The OP case happened several years ago. The SCOTUS decision in that case is what led to general outrage against the practice and to the state legislature passing amendments against it, as BeachLife and Seaboe mentioned.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 219 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
The OP case happened several years ago. The SCOTUS decision in that case is what led to general outrage against the practice and to the state legislature passing amendments against it, as BeachLife and Seaboe mentioned.

Correction: Beachlife and Spam.

ETA: Ok, my mistake. I missed Seaboe's reference to SCOTUS.

--------------------
---
AAMAH

snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm:
quote:
Originally posted by Zachary Fizz:

It is strange - and wrong - but it makes financial sense.

Imagine a blighted waterfront area in a place like Florida, where there are a few dozen houses valued about $50,000 each. Now imagine those houses replaced with highrise condominiums, with unit prices starting at $400K, and with commercial developments alongside. If you're mayor, which tax base would you prefer?

And that's true.

However, there are very few of us whose tacky little dowdy houses, or middle class brick ranch homes, or even big new large homes, make as much money for the tax base as they would if they were bulldozed down to build something sexier and shinier and commercial. Also you get the problem of someone's brother in law (maybe that mayor - if you live in a small town like this you can easily picture this happening) espying a nice little piece of property that happens to be happily occupied and deciding it would be a great place for his pet venture and so out you go, even though the change of hands isn't really benefiting the community at large so much as one putative developer.

If the only justification needed is "but this will create a bigger tax base," then there are very few homes that aren't at risk, because commercial developments always pay more taxes than homes do. If that doesn't make you very uncomfortable, it should.

Eminent domain is properly used for infrastructures such as highways or dams that simply can't be put anywhere else and will benefit vast amounts of people, not for tax increase purposes. Yes, there's all kinds of ways that cities could be improved upon, if we are willing to trample all over the individual's rights to live where and how they choose.

Simply creating more tax dollars isn't a good enough reason for the government to take away (even with compensation) someone's private property. I think it was a HORRIBLE decision on the part of the SCOTUS, one of the worst in my memory, and I'm so glad to see the scurrying of state laws to block that sort of bs.

edited

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snapdragonfly:
I'm so glad to see the scurrying of state laws to block that sort of bs.

edited

You and me both.

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages