snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » Girl gives birth while at school (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Girl gives birth while at school
Ms. Kringle
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Kringle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhiandmoi:
If the daughter didn't notice anything different about herself, what was the mother supposed to see?

Well, I notice when my daughter has her period-related mood swings, and when she doesn't. I can chart her cycle, without her having to tell me when she's having her period.

But then, this girl's mother might not notice that. I keep track of my daughter's mood swings so if they intensify, or change in some other way, we can figure out what to do for her.

Oh well, I think whatever point I was trying to make is probably lost somewhere in my cold medicine fog. I was trying to say that there are a lot of parents who wouldn't notice anything different about their kids, even if their kids walked in the door covered in blood and missing a limb.

And that I try not to be one of those parents.

Bleah, I should maybe come back to this when I can think clearly. Stupid cold.

--------------------
Beware corporate zombies! They will purchase your brain on E-Bay!

Posts: 2310 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess what I am saying is there might not have been anything to really notice. Not every teen has mood swings, and not every pregnant woman has morning sickness, a round belly or swollen ankles. If she had just recently started getting her period (I got mine when I was 14) things might not have established a pattern before she got pregnant.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ms. Kringle:

But then, this girl's mother might not notice that. I keep track of my daughter's mood swings so if they intensify, or change in some other way, we can figure out what to do for her.

hah. My mom didn't notice when I:

a) came home on 6 tabs of acid

b) was dealing said acid

c) slid into severe anorexia

or d) was being abused by my ex-fiance. All these happened before 18, all while I was at home. And my parents actually spent alot of time around us (i.e. dinner every evening, going to church, etc.)

Parent's don't notice many things. Certainly not everything. You'd hope they would notice something like pregnancy, but, hey. They, too, are human and prone to error.

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by One-Horse Open Jay Temple:
I'll just add that some women don't stop having periods while they're pregnant. (I didn't know this till I was well into adulthood.) It's certainly understandable that if she was in that situation, she could have dismissed that possibility all along.

I thought it wasn't possible for women to have periods--but that sometimes when pregnant, they have light spotting. I would think that if you were actually menstruating (i.e., shedding uterine lining) during pregnancy, that would be very bad for the baby...

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They can have heavy enough light spotting that they might not notice the difference. It's not menstruating, but bleeding at semi normal rates at semi normal intervals that looks a lot like menstruation.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ms. Kringle:
quote:
Originally posted by Rhiandmoi:
If the daughter didn't notice anything different about herself, what was the mother supposed to see?

Well, I notice when my daughter has her period-related mood swings, and when she doesn't. I can chart her cycle, without her having to tell me when she's having her period.

Oh well, I think whatever point I was trying to make is probably lost somewhere in my cold medicine fog. I was trying to say that there are a lot of parents who wouldn't notice anything different about their kids, even if their kids walked in the door covered in blood and missing a limb.

And that I try not to be one of those parents.

Bleah, I should maybe come back to this when I can think clearly. Stupid cold.

My mother is a nurse and was always a very involved parent but she did not realise my youngest sister was 7 months pregnant until my sister told me after my husband and I had driven her back to school in another province at the end of her summer break. We all noticed she had gained some weight and that she was moody as hell but without having any reason to suspect that she might be pregnant (we didn't even know she had a boyfriend) pregnancy was not a conclusion any of us came to.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LyndaD
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyndaD   E-mail LyndaD   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine (married, adult, reasonably intelligent) found out she was expecting her first baby 3 weeks before she went into labor. She was a bit heavy, had irregular, light periods, and put the 'movements down as gas.
less than 2 years later, she found out she was pregnant again -- six months along.

As for being an aware parent. Many of my students spend little actual time with their parents. The parents are working, the kids are pretty much taking care of themselves. I can see some of them managing to hide a pregnancy from their parents and even if friends if they wanted to. The thing is, having a baby while in junior high or high school is not seen as a major complication. We've put a stop to baby showers during lunch, but the attention an expectant mother receives is very attractive to a young girl who doesn't get much positive attention in her life.

--------------------
I'll drive it ugly. You can't see the paint job when you're behind the wheel, anyway.

Posts: 570 | From: Central Valley, California | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
franjava
Deck the Malls

Icon 208 posted      Profile for franjava     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Arriah:
I get rather bad gas occasionally and can feel it moving around in my insides a bit usually about a half hour before anyone else becomes aware that I have gas. During that time it doesn't feel much different from what my daughter felt like in early pregnancy (that butterfly moving part). Once or twice it's been noticable enough that I wondered for a few minutes whether I'd gotten pregnant and hadn't noticed yet.

I can see how a girl who had had gas before but never been pregnant before (especially one that doesn't want to be pregnant) could convince herself that anything she felt was just gas. Especially since I think most women tend to be a tiny bit gassier during pregnancy.
[

Me too, Ariah!! I thought my mom was nuts when she said it felt like gas. I had a nine pound, 8 ounce baby, though. At the end of my pregnancy it didn't feel so much like gas as it did having Mike Tyson sparring in my abdomen.

--------------------
Never eat anything given to you by a toddler.

Posts: 258 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FireSpook
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FireSpook   E-mail FireSpook   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malruhn:
A 15 year-old girl probably doesn't have a clue as to how her body operates, so I can very easily see how she could miss the "symptoms" of the baby disease.

Especially at a catholic school; ALthought as other users have noted, this may not be likely.

but I'm sure it did play some role in it.

--------------------
WARNING
The message above may have statements that only make sense in this user's mind.

Read at your own risk.

Posts: 667 | From: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delia Darrow
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Delia Darrow   E-mail Delia Darrow   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
An episode of "Trauma: Life in the ER" called "The Heart of the Matter" featured a seventeen year-old unexpectedly giving birth:

quote:
A seventeen-year-old didn't look pregnant, and so had no idea what was causing her sharp abdominal pains. Even Dr. Craig didn't suspect pregnancy … that is, until the baby began to make its appearance. "I've never gotten to the point where I'm ever 100% convinced I've got everything figured out," Dr. Craig admitted. "That's one of the stories from residency that I'll tell people ten years down the road."

The mother didn't know she was giving birth despite the fact that the baby was crowning. She seemed mentally competent, so this next fact becomes even more astounding: she already had TWO children!

She said she had no symptoms of pregnancy, certainly nothing like her previous experience. Her periods had been regular up to the last two months, and she gained no noticable weight. (she was obese)

I can only speculate that sometime in her previous two pregnancies, she had damaged some of the sensory nerves in her lower abdomen. In any case, it was incredible for her not to have any clue.

--------------------
Cogito, ergo Dei non est.

Posts: 70 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FireSpook:
quote:
Originally posted by Malruhn:
A 15 year-old girl probably doesn't have a clue as to how her body operates, so I can very easily see how she could miss the "symptoms" of the baby disease.

Especially at a catholic school; ALthought as other users have noted, this may not be likely.

but I'm sure it did play some role in it.

Why? I went to Catholic schools - believe me Catholic kids know as much (or as little) about sex and pregnancy and any other kid. Why on earth do people keep making the assumption that Catholics are unaware of the basic facts of life just because they happen to be Catholic?

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And public school students can be just as unaware of sex and reproduction.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Christie:
Why on earth do people keep making the assumption that Catholics are unaware of the basic facts of life just because they happen to be Catholic?

Apparently there are enough Catholic schools like the one my wife attended to create that impression.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
Originally posted by One-Horse Open Jay Temple:
quote:
Originally posted by Christie:
Why on earth do people keep making the assumption that Catholics are unaware of the basic facts of life just because they happen to be Catholic?

Apparently there are enough Catholic schools like the one my wife attended to create that impression.
Perhaps but I doubt it. As has been noted time and time again there are just as many - no doubt actually more - public schools doing the same piss poor job of sex education as certain Catholic schools do. I really don't think this sweeping assumption about Catholics has a thing to do with the schools some Catholics attend.

--------------------

Arriah
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arriah   E-mail Arriah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by franjava:
Me too, Ariah!! I thought my mom was nuts when she said it felt like gas. I had a nine pound, 8 ounce baby, though. At the end of my pregnancy it didn't feel so much like gas as it did having Mike Tyson sparring in my abdomen.

My DD was 9lb 9oz when she finally decided to make her entrance into the world and yeah, at the end, it did NOT feel like gas anymore [Smile]

--------------------
Conforming meant that everyone liked you except yourself
Rebecca

Posts: 682 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   E-mail I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arriah:
quote:
Originally posted by franjava:

My DD was 9lb 9oz when she finally decided to make her entrance into the world and yeah, at the end, it did NOT feel like gas anymore [Smile]
For a healthy full-term pregnancy, no, not like gas! When Rowan put her foot against my belly it looked and felt exactly like someone inside me was pushing her little foot against my belly. When she looked for a comfy position, an outside observer could see there was something alive moving around in there, let alone me. And when she had the hiccups you could watch my belly shake. But there are smaller babies, less vigorous babies, and of course what we expect to happen always colors our perception of what is happening anyway.
Posts: 2115 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages