snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » Arsenal ban national team flags

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Arsenal ban national team flags
Dactingyl
Anchovy of a 1000 Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dactingyl   E-mail Dactingyl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Arsenal Ban National Team Flags

quote:
"Arsenal as a club prides itself on being inclusive with respect to all nationalities, cultural and ethnic groups," read a club statement.

"We are asking that only Arsenal flags, without any national emblems, are displayed within the stadium."

Now I'd assume the would relax this rule should the Emirates Stadium hold an International game. I'm almost disappointed than no-one in the comments section has said "It's political correctness gone mad".

--------------------
Dactingyl is meant to sound a bit like Christingle.

It's not very good but I couldn't think of anything else.

Sorry.

Posts: 257 | From: Hants, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting.

I've known a few people over the years to complain about the atmosphere generated by certain sections of fans at London clubs, usually hardcore England fans who use the 'Three lions' to bait foreign players whom they deem have 'wronged' England.

Christiano Ronaldo is a case in point. He's been getting stick for his antics (at the World Cup) at away grounds this season, but at the Boleyn Ground this weekend he got abused by fans singing 'Ingerlund' songs and waving the flags - almost as if the fans want the player to know it's the whole country and not just the club that hate his guts [Roll Eyes]

Ronaldo loves it, hence in part United's (up till the weekend) peerless away record.

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Stupid, stupid, stupid.

It has been a long standing tradition of sports fans (at least in the UK) to plaster its team's initials/team name over the flag of whichever country of the UK they come from.

Do the Australian cricket authorities mind the hundreds of English flags on display at their cricket grounds?

(Blow it. Now I'm thinking about the Ashes again. Boo hoo!)

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I must admit, i'd like to know what flags were causing people to complain, but I wouldn't be surprised if it 'was' England flags in question here - I stopped going to 'Ingurland' matches a long time ago...

--------------------

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dactingyl
Anchovy of a 1000 Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dactingyl   E-mail Dactingyl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Reading some of the comments it seems to be a reaction to specific incident relating to Turkish Cypriot issues although I can't find anymore about it.

It seems that rather than banning the specific flag that raised contention they've banned all nationalistic flags so as not to be singling out specific countries.

I have to say, it's not something I can see catching on. It's a very common sight to see a St George's flag with a various team name written across on the middle or sometimes the team's initials in each quarter. Will be interesting to see if they back down once the whole episode has blown over.

--------------------
Dactingyl is meant to sound a bit like Christingle.

It's not very good but I couldn't think of anything else.

Sorry.

Posts: 257 | From: Hants, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember union jack flags being relatively common (with the club's name stitched across the middle, and sometimes the location of the supporters club as well - you know, Man U - Guildford Lads hehe). St George's Cross flags were less common in my experience, but I haven't been to a match for ages (that's what you get for supporting an overpriced "glamour" club, sigh).

In Scotland, it's much rarer (in my recollection) to see a saltire or lion rampant with a team name added. Rangers or Hearts fans display the union jack, and Celtic and Hibs fans use the Irish tricolour.

Who's going to start a trend of bringing obscure national standards to Arsenal matches then, to see if the stewards are on their toes? Bhutan, anyone?

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gydna
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gydna     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I being cynical or might it have something to do with wanting to market the team around the world and not wanting them to be seen as too English?

--------------------
Churchill drank, smoked and was a successful amateur painter. Hitler was a teetotal, vegetarian, animal loving failed professional painter. Draw your own conclusions!

Posts: 34 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet:
Who's going to start a trend of bringing obscure national standards to Arsenal matches then, to see if the stewards are on their toes? Bhutan, anyone?

It is at this point that I would like to point out that Bhutan has a new king, who took the throne on Sunday. His name is King Jigme Wangchuck.

Please continue with your scheduled thread.

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Nice flag, Bhutan.

--------------------

Archie2K
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For sheer simplicity, how about the flag of Libya?

--------------------
Vox populi vox canem

Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages