snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » Dolls lose their innocence

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dolls lose their innocence
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 16 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Doll shelves are brimming with sex and glitz, as the latest lineup of 10-inch tarts strut their stuff into the hearts of girls everywhere. Mattel's slinky "My Scene" collection has ramped up the glam for the holidays with its "Fab Faces" dolls, mini-minxes with pliable mugs (Make them pout!) that come with boas, tiaras and accessories "no diva can live without."

http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2006/12/dolls_lose_thei.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Strawberry Limeade
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Strawberry Limeade   Author's Homepage   E-mail Strawberry Limeade   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had to look up these "Fab Faces" dolls because I was envisioning some cross between Barbie and Mr. Potato Head. I was wrong, apparently you push a button and their face changes. I still don't understand how that works, but I'm not sure I want to. Those dolls look like street walkers.

Dolls based on the Pussycat Dolls (planned and then scrapped by Hasbro)? Just...wow. I'm actually a teensy bit disappointed that those won't exist because I'm trying to do gender issues in children's media for my senior project, and those would have been perfect.

--------------------
"My artist statement is incomprehensible and therefore full of deep significance." - Calvin

Posts: 36 | From: Indiana | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mags
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 97 posted      Profile for mags     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Strawberry Limeade:
I'm trying to do gender issues in children's media for my senior project, and those would have been perfect.

You could just use Bratz instead. Better yet, Bratz Babiez (not sure if it's spelled like that, but probably).

We had a group of three thirteen or fourteen year old girls that came to our door to trick or treat this year. When I first saw them, I could only think their costumes were meant to be prostitutes, seriously. They were wearing embroidered bustiers, daisy dukes or mini skirts, fishnets, and high heels. I was afraid to ask, because I knew what would come out of my mouth was "what are you whores?"

It wasn't until the next day it finally occurred to me they might be trying to be Bratz.

ETA: Every time I start to think those types of toys are the end of western civilization as we know it, I have an embarrassing flashback of pretty much every time my female cousins, sister, and I were given balloons small enough to fit in our shirts when we were little girls. Walking around with two stuffed up there, with the knots placed just so, chest puffed out, saying "Look, I'm Dolly Parton!"

Posts: 550 | From: Springboro, OH | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember seeing some of the Bratz costumes in stores and found them pretty repulsive. Then again, I don't get the whole "diva/slut/princess" image that seems to be overwhelming toys and clothing for young girls right now either.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Reminds me about a news item in Swedish TV news about a new series of Barbie-like dolls (I think it was in Australia, but my memory may be wrong. Australian snopsters, run to the toy stores and check under the skirt of all the dolls immediately!) that had pubic hair and authentically coloured nipples. It was still a kids toy, the idea was to give kids a realistic view of the human body. I think it also had more realistic proportions.

Enough background, the kicker was after the item was shown and the female news anchor said (my translation and quoting from memory): "When I was young, we didn't need to buy dolls like that, we did it ourself with marker pens.".

I found that so refreshing. Not that she admitted to doing it, few would react to that in Sweden, but that it so neatly displayed the difference between how kids see things and how adults think that kids see things. Adults were afraid that kids would find out something that would scar them horribly for life or something like that, while the kids have already passed them and are actually leading the race, having created that product by themselves long before the toy company figured it out.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Feral Cheryl perhaps?

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Feral Cheryl perhaps?
Perhaps. It was something like that, but I think there were several different models. My memory is blurry, it was the comment that stuck in my head.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Feral Cheryl enjoys "baking bread or unusual cookies." Hmmmm. Considering that she's also commonly found:

quote:
local market, her dreadlocks tied back, belly button bared, dancing to the drummers in her bare feet
I think I know what those cookies may be made out of.

The first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title was this.

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a little disturbed by the top comment on the page. Here's what Chris Snyder said:
quote:
I find it ironic that your POST A COMMENT section about the sexually explicit dolls in our society allows a 13 year old to even comment on the issue. I guess 13 year olds should be allowed to give opinions about sex. Scary!!!!!
I think what he's trying to say is that if 13-year-olds are reading USA Today, and they have an opinion about what they read, they shouldn't be allowed to post it. This will then make them get rid of their opinion and keep them pure. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
daveyp
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daveyp   E-mail daveyp   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Didnt the Barbie doll start off as a novelty item for adults, a doll that was supposed to be a hooker?
Posts: 5 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
A Guy Named Goo
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Guy Named Goo   Author's Homepage   E-mail A Guy Named Goo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.journalfen.net/community/fandom_wank/1034600.html

I thought it was going to be about this. And then I was going to run and hide, because I'm involved.

--------------------
“I really feel like this is part of my life's work....It's part of what I want to do with my time here....So if I can make a difference at all by talking openly about myself, I'm glad.” - Anthony Rapp, Without You, pp. 206-207

Posts: 592 | From: Kenduskeag, ME | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daveyp:
Didnt the Barbie doll start off as a novelty item for adults, a doll that was supposed to be a hooker?

No. You may be thinking of the original German doll, called Lili (I think) that Ruth Handler got the idea of Barbie from - but Barbie herself was always intended to be a fashion doll for little girls.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Clarity
Toys to the World

Icon 09 posted      Profile for Clarity   E-mail Clarity   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mags:
We had a group of three thirteen or fourteen year old girls that came to our door to trick or treat this year. When I first saw them, I could only think their costumes were meant to be prostitutes, seriously. They were wearing embroidered bustiers, daisy dukes or mini skirts, fishnets, and high heels. I was afraid to ask, because I knew what would come out of my mouth was "what are you whores?"

It wasn't until the next day it finally occurred to me they might be trying to be Bratz.

ETA: Every time I start to think those types of toys are the end of western civilization as we know it, I have an embarrassing flashback of pretty much every time my female cousins, sister, and I were given balloons small enough to fit in our shirts when we were little girls. Walking around with two stuffed up there, with the knots placed just so, chest puffed out, saying "Look, I'm Dolly Parton!"

Yeah, I've done that too. I've seen a picture of my stepbrother dressed up as Dolly when he was about three, also. [lol]
Regarding Bratz costumes.. if they were about thirteen or fourteen, they might have actually been dressed as hookers. Fourteen is a little old for Bratz, they're marketed to the under-ten crowd, bizarre as they are. I remember some girls at my middle school came to school on Halloween dressed like that, and when I asked them what they were, two of them said "rock star" and the rest said "hookers, of course." Like it was obvious. I'm assuming their parents let them do it, because they drove them to school like that. (No one at my school rode the bus if they could help it. Spoiled rotten kids, most of them. I got sick of it and left the district after seventh grade.) [flame]

--------------------
Kevin: Pink Bunkadoo?
Randall: Yeah. Beautiful tree that was. Og designed it. 600 feet high, bright red, and smelled terrible.

Posts: 71 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

quote:
Given that Barbie is named after the her creator's daughter, that would indicate a serious effed up mother - daughter relationship.

On the other hand, Ken is named after her son, so something wierd is going on in that family...

--------------------
/Troberg

NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?
Carol of the Dells

Icon 84 posted      Profile for NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Clarity, I actually know lots of women around my age (20) that have a few Bratz dolls on because they're "cute", so it wouldn't surprize me if they actually were Bratz dolls. But you're right, they're just as likely to be hookers... I, uh... was *not* a devil hooker in 9th grade... nope...

--------------------
"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, EVIL stuff... and I want in."- Homer Simpson

Posts: 2161 | From: Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages