snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » Obese people to be told they're obese... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Obese people to be told they're obese...
Snafu
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snafu     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Obesity experts want shop clerks to approach overweight people in-store, and tell them they're overweight and they need help.

here's the only link I could find, it's not as in-depth as the stuff that's been on the radio all day, but it's all I could find.

I did giggle when I heard these plans - does anyone actually think this is a good idea?? Overweight people know they're overweight, I don't think they need reminding when they're out shopping.

I think the whole thing is a cynical ploy to embarrass fat people into loosing weight - I honestly can't believe anyone thinks this will fly.

Posts: 241 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buckleupp
Away in a Manager

Icon 501 posted      Profile for Buckleupp   E-mail Buckleupp   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If being shamed helped people lose weight, there would be no obese people left on earth.

I can't imagine this idea would effect any significant social change other than an increase in assault incidents.

--------------------
HA! That's so funny I forgot to laugh...excluding that first Ha. -Stewie Griffin

Posts: 112 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 302 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snafu:
- does anyone actually think this is a good idea?? Overweight people know they're overweight,

Apparently somebody does. [dunce] [Mad]

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Snafu
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snafu     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm still trying to find a detailed article, but these experts literally wanted overweight people to be approached in the shop and told that being fat was unhealthy. Like, really?...
Posts: 241 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My rule: If you feel the need to point out my obesity, then I reserve the right to point out other unpleassant characterisics about you.

I know I'm fat. My doctor knows I'm fat. I don't see where it's anyone else's business.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw this story today.

quote:
Oversize clothes should have obesity helpline numbers sewn on them to try and reduce Britain's fat crisis
Geez. Do they really think we don't know we're fat when we walk through the door?

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To me something like putting labels on clothes doesn't make sense. You don't put a label on a oxygen tank (a potential end result of smoking) that says "warning: you have lung disease." Instead, all food products should now come with the following label: "Warning: over-consumption may lead to obesity, diabetes, heart disease, etc."

Lydia "why yes, there was some sarcasm in my post" Oh Lydia

Edited: because "was was" doesn't make sense.

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DemonWolf:
My rule: If you feel the need to point out my obesity, then I reserve the right to point out other unpleassant characterisics about you.

I know I'm fat. My doctor knows I'm fat. I don't see where it's anyone else's business.

Bingo! Your weight is no one's business but yours and your doctor's. Just like mine is.
About a year ago, some snippy woman accused me of sitting on her hand as I sat down on the subway. She accused me after she asked me if I couldn't sit somewhere else. When I apologized for (supposedly--I know I did not) sitting on her hand and pointing out that it was public transportation, she said 'well you're large...' [Eek!] I wanted to say 'yeah and you're a catty bitch and I can always go on a diet!' but I didn't I simply made myself comfortable and had the satisfaction of seeing her change seats (window seat for me! [Wink] )

Dawn--wish I had said that!--Storm

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Darth Credence
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darth Credence     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My favorite part of this story was:
quote:
The World Health Organization recently suggested 70% of deaths will be due to obesity related illnesses in the future.
To get 70% of all deaths due to obesity related diseases seems a touch ridiculous. First, it's only possible if at least 70% of the population is obese, and I have a hard time believing that would happen. Second, even if everyone in the world was obese, I have to believe that more than 30% would still die from things like car accidents, murder, cancer, or anything else that is not related to obesity.

--------------------
Give yourself to the Dark Side. It is the only way you can save your friends.

Posts: 262 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Ota Faction
Happy Holly Days

Icon 201 posted      Profile for The Ota Faction   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Ota Faction   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Darth Credence:
My favorite part of this story was:
quote:
The World Health Organization recently suggested 70% of deaths will be due to obesity related illnesses in the future.
To get 70% of all deaths due to obesity related diseases seems a touch ridiculous. First, it's only possible if at least 70% of the population is obese, and I have a hard time believing that would happen. Second, even if everyone in the world was obese, I have to believe that more than 30% would still die from things like car accidents, murder, cancer, or anything else that is not related to obesity.
It would be possible if all the obese people died within the same timeframe used in the statistic (I'm assuming a calendar year), and non-obese were miraculously lucky concerning, cancer, car accidents, etc. Not even remotely probable, but possible.

--------------------
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are." - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
"That lonely recluse who lives down the road is crying out. So is that pregnant teenager. And the prostitute. And the drunkard."
Join the Free State Project - I did!

Posts: 1516 | From: *sigh* Elmira, NY | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Snafu
Deck the Malls

quote:

I almost agree that it's not really anyone's business but the person who's hauling around around the fat, but I imagine the drain on the budget of the NHS (not applicable to non-UK citizens) is quite large, which somewhat riles me when sufferers of Alzheimer's and such other diseases can't get the drugs they need because of the lack of money.

The NHS has recently being funding dance classes for overweight people - is there any reason the people partaking in these classes can't partake in walking instead?

I think the same thing about smokers too - they damage themselves, and everyones else pays for it. And I'm a smoker.

Grifynne
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Grifynne   Author's Homepage   E-mail Grifynne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is one of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard [Razz]

I have two comments to make on this:

Telling people they are fat everytime they go to a public place could also up the suicide rate. Did these "experts" ever think of that?

And second, while I don't buy the "70% of deaths will be from being fat" statistic, if it were true, this could be a good thing if you look at it this way-that could mean we have conquered most every other way to die!

HA! Take that fatty researchers! [Razz]

And hello..this is my very first post here [Big Grin]

Posts: 1 | From: Valencia, PA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nicki
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicki     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"...35in (88cm) for women, and 31in (80cm) for girls."

They want to put label in those sizes?!?!? 35in approx size 11/12 (I know, that's me) and I would guess 31in would be 9/10. That's not obese. A but chunky maybe but to call it obese is crazy.

Not that putting it on any lable is right. The whole thing is stupid. And they wonder why there are so many women with eating disorders. Not only women anymore but men too.

So should I point out other people flaws? How rediculous.

Posts: 332 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nicki
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicki     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello Grifynne. Welcome.
Posts: 332 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Snafu
Deck the Malls

quote:
If those flaws are killing them, and costing millions of dollars to help put right, maybe so...

ETA: and self-inflicted, for the most part.

Nicki
Deck the Malls

Why? Would it be pointing out something they don't know? I don't think so.

So every time I see someone light up, heavy set, or drive like an idiot, I should point it out to them?

ghijkmnop

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghijkmnop   Author's Homepage   E-mail ghijkmnop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
These so-called experts should be shaming every single company that uses high-fructose corn syrup as a sweetener.

Some lawyer will eventually figure out a way for these "helpful comments" to be considered hate speech, and then it'll REALLY hit the fan.

--------------------
http://www.smokedsalmonband.com/forum

Posts: 41 | From: Augusta, Maine | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
frogpond
Jingle Sales

Icon 08 posted      Profile for frogpond   E-mail frogpond   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wouldn't worry too much about this actually happening. No shop that wanted to stay in business would have their clerks accosting the customers in such a way, nor carry obesity labels in clothes.

--------------------
So many books, so little time.

Posts: 1192 | From: McDonough, Georgia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Considering what some heavier people wear - perhaps this isn't ALWAYS a bad thing. I don't mind a "muffin-top", but when you have a freaking wedding cake squished over the top of your three-sizes-too-small jeans, then there is a problem.

And spandex shouldn't come in sixes over 16. If your body fat percentage is over 25%, then it should be illegal to wear.

I still like the idea I once heard from a comedian: Spandex should have a hidden band in the fabric, that when stretched too far, it would become visible and read, "You are too damned fat to wear this!"

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buckleupp
Away in a Manager

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buckleupp   E-mail Buckleupp   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If we continue to multiply the argument that the government can control your health decisions because of the drain on public healthcare funds, then we are getting into a very scary area. I'm sure this argument has been made before, but if you say that fat people don't deserve health care or should be punished for using it more, then you get into all sorts of personal decisions being taken away from everyone.

If I can't eat what I choose, for instance, then you should not be allowed to choose whether or not to take anti-depressants. Another should not be allowed to choose whether his child takes drugs for ADHD...it could drain educational funding, after all. Lots of money is spent to clean up accidental gun deaths, so let's take away your choice on that too. And I see forced birth control not too far off that horizon.

I think most reasonable people understand that the price of personal freedom might rise from time to time, but that it is better than the alternative.

--------------------
HA! That's so funny I forgot to laugh...excluding that first Ha. -Stewie Griffin

Posts: 112 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ghijkmnop:
Some lawyer will eventually figure out a way for these "helpful comments" to be considered hate speech, and then it'll REALLY hit the fan.

How about "practicing medicine without a license"? Do we really want store clerks dispensing diet and health advice? Most of 'em can't even make change without the cash register's help.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Loyhargil
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loyhargil     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicki:

They want to put label in those sizes?!?!? 35in approx size 11/12 (I know, that's me) and I would guess 31in would be 9/10. That's not obese. A but chunky maybe but to call it obese is crazy.

Not that putting it on any lable is right. The whole thing is stupid. And they wonder why there are so many women with eating disorders. Not only women anymore but men too.

Holy crap! At my absolute comfortably thinnest, I'm a size 12! If I get smaller than that, I'm so bony I have trouble getting to sleep because I can feel my shoulderblades practically cutting into the sheets! But according to charts, my most comfortable weight is at the top range of, or even exceeds, what's considered "healthy."

I think if any of this crap ever actually became a policy in my neck of the woods, I'd just take up sewing again. I fought hard to accept I'm a big-built healthy girl, I wouldn't be too keen on someone legislating otherwise.

And sure, I have stress weight on a the moment. I seriously don't need anyone informing me of that fact.

My overweight mother (thyroid condition), who hates shopping with a passion anyway, I'm sure would also be less than thrilled. I should also note, despite her weight, her heart, blood pressure, and cholesterol put the rest of the family to shame.

--------------------
Bender: Oh cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

Posts: 1170 | From: Iowa | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Snafu
Deck the Malls

quote:
So every time I see someone light up, heavy set, or drive like an idiot, I should point it out to them?
It's up to you.

When my friends are driving like idiots, I give them a mouthful. When my dad eats a grease-soaked pizza, I tell him it's wrecking his body. I'm a bit of a bastard to be around (as you can probably tell), but it doesn't necessarily make me wrong.

Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malruhn:
Considering what some heavier people wear - perhaps this isn't ALWAYS a bad thing. I don't mind a "muffin-top", but when you have a freaking wedding cake squished over the top of your three-sizes-too-small jeans, then there is a problem.

Yes, there is. The problem is with your unwarrented judgementalism.

I mean, I prefer not to see bearded men in public. Should we also start a campaign to try to sell facemasks to all bearded men?

Ryda "the above is a lie. I don't mind beards" Wong

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked the idea of taxing high salt and sugar (and I would add high fat) foods. One of the issues that contributes to obesity is that these foods tend to be cheaper than their healthier counterparts. Perhaps 1 cent per gram of high fructose corn syrup per serving?

Seriously, though, I could see this being abused-- because people's perceptions of "obese" may be different. And quite honestly? A store whose staff chose to comment on my size? Would quickly lose my business.

And what do they do about stores that cater to larger folk? Have "Hey you! You're fat" signs all about?

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malruhn:

And spandex shouldn't come in sixes over 16. If your body fat percentage is over 25%, then it should be illegal to wear.

I still like the idea I once heard from a comedian: Spandex should have a hidden band in the fabric, that when stretched too far, it would become visible and read, "You are too damned fat to wear this!"

Don't like the way someone looks? Then don't look at them.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicki:

I don't think putting a notice on the label will do anything, but 35" waist corresponds to about a size 16-18 US. A size 12 is a 30ish inch waist.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snafu:
quote:
If those flaws are killing them, and costing millions of dollars to help put right, maybe so...

ETA: and self-inflicted, for the most part.

First of all, it's not a flaw, it's a feature.

And how do you know whether my feature is killing me or costing the country money or not? Saying that obesity causes a drain on the healthcare system is one thing (and entirely valid), saying that a particular individual is a drain on the system is another. You can't just take a particular statistic about a group of people and extrapolate to all individuals within the group.

Before you can declare that I am a drain on the system, you have to know my detailed medical history. It is possible for an obese person to be in perfectly good health. Obesity can be an indicator of some problems, and might lead to other problems, but with enough care and direction from a doctor, an obese person can become healthy and stay healthy.

No, sir, a shop clerk does not know whether my gut is killing me or causing a drain on the system. If one does come up to me and tell me that it is, I will remind him that his dumb-ass brain might get him killed one day, and is, most likely, a drain on the system. I'm 31, 5'7" and 200lbs. I am considered obese, but all tests show me to be in the best of health. Actually, based on my test results, I'm much healthier than my wife who is 5'5 and weighs 130 lbs. The doctor has informed me that since I have a family history of High Blood pressure, and because I am technically obese, I need to eat healthy and keep my activity level up to make sure my heart stays healthy. I swim 1km a week and walk 40 mins to work every other day. I am able to do that because I'm healthy, and continuing to do that will ensure that I will stay healthy. I know that. My doctor knows that, and when the time comes that I should be really losing weight my doctor will tell me that. Not some store clerk.

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DevilBunny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DevilBunny   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Please just assume I inserted here my usual rant about there not being any effective treatments for obesity.

I really get tired of this.

--------------------
"For God has seven thousand names, and one of them is bastard"

Posts: 420 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Snafu
Deck the Malls

quote:
If I can't eat what I choose, for instance, then you should not be allowed to choose whether or not to take anti-depressants. Another should not be allowed to choose whether his child takes drugs for ADHD...it could drain educational funding, after all. Lots of money is spent to clean up accidental gun deaths, so let's take away your choice on that too. And I see forced birth control not too far off that horizon.
Is being depressed, suffering from ADHD, or accidently blowing your head avoidable? OK, maybe blowing your head off is, but guns aren't paticularly easy to come by over here, so the that point is almost moot.
SweetViolet

Icon 214 posted      Profile for SweetViolet   E-mail SweetViolet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Un-freaking-believable. Obesity experts, my ass. Talk about a counter-productive concept!

Accost a fat woman who is already unhappy with her weight and appearance and subject her to this kind of public humiliation and I can guarantee you that the result will be the exact opposite of what these dimwits expect: she will feel embarrassed and hurt and she will go home and curl up in front of the TV and console herself with a half gallon of Rocky Road and an economy-sized packet of Oreos.

How do I know this? Because I was sent to a rheumatologist for my bad knees (which have been troublesome since I was 14 and skinny, and which became much worse after several years working as a professional dancer...even skinnier). My limited mobility (and not scaling down portion size to that of a hummingbird's) over a period of years put the pounds on me. Instead of a consultation with a professional who could have advised me to shed some pounds and than give me some specific information on how to do that (like a referral to a nutritionist, a letter to my insurance carrier saying dieting assistance was medically necessary, etc.) he spent the ENTIRE consultation period screaming and berating me about my weight. I'm tough, I'm indomitable...and I was in tears when I left. That one visit...to a medical professional...added 20 pounds. I "comfort ate" for nearly two months, even crying from time to time when thinking about it.

It won't work. It will just hurt people and will ultimately backfire, resulting in additional weight gain. "Obesity professionals" my ass.

Oh...and I refused to pay that doctor's bill. When his office threatened to turn me over to collections I offered to have my lawyer pay him a visit and explain to him the difference between a medical consultation and a verbal assault. Never heard from them again.

--------------------
SweetViolet...sweeter than all the Roses...

read my blog at http://sweetvioletsa.blogspot.com

Posts: 16 | From: The Fairest Cape of All, South Africa | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A few years ago, I had some minor surgery and developed a problem afterward. We think it was a reaction to the anesthesia.

But my stomach started to hurt whenever I ate or drank anything fatty or spicy; and we're not talking a lot of fat or spice. All it took was a smidge. At the time, I lost 71 pounds and was down to my high-school weight - 125 pounds - and I'm almost 5'8". I looked fabulous but felt wretched most of the time.

A couple of years later, the problem cleared up, my appetite came back, I hurt my knees and started putting the weight back on. And later friends would tell me they were worried about me because I was so thin.

I had all kinds of tests to rule out H pylori, cancer, gall bladder, etc. So I was a drain on my insurance company when I was thin. Now I'm fat, I feel better and don't go to the doctor so I don't cost the insurance anything. So heaviness doesn't necessarily mean what they're implying. And thin isn't always the best thing.

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Snafu, you assume that all "obese" people are so because they eat a lot of junk and never exercise. Mad Jay's post above should convince you otherwise.

--------------------
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about." --Ray Nagin

Posts: 1325 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SweetViolet:
Accost a fat woman who is already unhappy with her weight and appearance and subject her to this kind of public humiliation and I can guarantee you that the result will be the exact opposite of what these dimwits expect: she will feel embarrassed and hurt and she will go home and curl up in front of the TV and console herself with a half gallon of Rocky Road and an economy-sized packet of Oreos.

They'll probably add grocery store, ice cream shop, fast food, and restaurant employees to the list of people who must accost the obese.

Maybe they can hire the unemployed to stand outside all food-related businesses to chant "Fatty! Fatty! Two-by-four!" at obese patrons.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxKaladin   E-mail MaxKaladin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grifynne:
Telling people they are fat everytime they go to a public place could also up the suicide rate. Did these "experts" ever think of that?

Judging from the hostility I've seen directed toward overweight people, I suspect some of them would consider that more of a bonus than anything.
Posts: 716 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages