snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » "Breakfast Point Middle School" - Hard to swallow?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Breakfast Point Middle School" - Hard to swallow?
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 19 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Some Bay District School Board members are having a hard time swallowing the proposed name for a new elementary school: Breakfast Point Academy.

The school is located on land donated by the St. Joe Foundation, which wants to name it after a nearby subdivision. But board member Pat Sabiston questions what the mascot is going to be. Another member suggested “The Biscuits.”

Sabiston says middle school students have enough angst without having to worry about the name of their school.

Local news link

Is that childish? They can’t have a name like that! People will make fun of them. Like I’m doing right now.

Geez, at least they're not the Fighting Beavers or something.

(p.s. Anytime you guys get tired of hearing about Spam & Cookies County local politics, let me know. I always feel weird posting about it, but I feel like I'm living in a zoo sometimes.)

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wicked Tinkerbell
Hock Harold Angel's Bling

Icon 600 posted      Profile for Wicked Tinkerbell   E-mail Wicked Tinkerbell   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I live in the "Beaver State". The mascot for OSU is Benny Beaver. The sports teams are referred to as "the Beavers". [I won't go into the controversy over changing the logo to the "angry Beaver".]

The whole state is a target for comedians. When I heard Leno make one, I thought: "Yeah, that joke hasn't been made a hundred times." [Roll Eyes]

My point--and I do have one--is that larger groups of people have had worse names & mascots.

--------------------
"I'm not Irish, I'm Celtic. The difference? Celts cut off your head and put it on their door lintel." --Aimee Evilpixie
"People are bastard-covered bastards with bastard filling."--Scrubs

Posts: 269 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ULTRAGLORIA
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ULTRAGLORIA     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.evergreen.edu/athletics/geoduck.htm
Evergreen State College uses the geoduck as it's mascot.

http://www.ucsc.edu/about/campus_mascot.asp
UC Santa Cruz uses the Banana Slug.

Both seem very proud of their mascots.

--------------------
A Lie can run around the world before the Truth can get its boots on. - Terry Pratchett

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions; but everyone is not entitled to their own facts. - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Posts: 2495 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The University of Akron uses a kangaroo -- the team name is "The Zips" or something like that. And Kent State has the "Golden Flashes," which conjures all sorts of inappropriate imagery (at least in my mind).

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Towknie
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Towknie   E-mail Towknie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My beloved UC Irvine Anteaters never get made fun of. Nope! Never!

ZOT!!

--------------------
Towknie: Ryda-certified as wonderful, enlighted, and rational.

Posts: 1011 | From: Frisco, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, sliding off topic but maybe someone here will know.

There's a truck commercial currently running that's got some connection to college football (Mr. Gibbie mutes the commecials so I don't know what the voice over is). But the commercials show lots of different college mascots running through a downtown area of a large city. Like NYC or something. Not the cartoon character mascots but more like "real life" mascots. Like a real alligator for the Gators, stuff like that. In the middle of the rush is a giant, bouncing, something. Honestly it looks like a big hackysack. We can't figure out what or who it is. it could be a big rock, or a mud ball or a hackysack. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a town near Edwards in CA called Phelan. It is pronounced "Feelin'". They did NOT name their HS Phelan High... I was told it WAS because of the connotations...

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ULTRAGLORIA:

http://www.ucsc.edu/about/campus_mascot.asp
UC Santa Cruz uses the Banana Slug.

Both seem very proud of their mascots.

Darn tootin'!

I dislike the thought process where you can't give a kid an odd name or send them to and oddly-named school because they might get made fun of. A little teasing is not the worst thing in the world, and true bullying does not rely on unusual names. My first name was made into many a joke when I was a kid, and the greatest effect was that I thought other kids were incredibly dumb.

This idea that kids can't be different or they'll be teased mercilessly lead to several people I know not being put in specialized classes (GATE, Slingerland, et cetera) because their parents were afraid it would make them "weird." Well, maybe we should work on eliminating the idea that weird=bad instead of eliminating weirdness.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kev
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kev   E-mail Kev   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gibbie:
Ok, sliding off topic but maybe someone here will know.

There's a truck commercial currently running that's got some connection to college football (Mr. Gibbie mutes the commecials so I don't know what the voice over is). But the commercials show lots of different college mascots running through a downtown area of a large city. Like NYC or something. Not the cartoon character mascots but more like "real life" mascots. Like a real alligator for the Gators, stuff like that. In the middle of the rush is a giant, bouncing, something. Honestly it looks like a big hackysack. We can't figure out what or who it is. it could be a big rock, or a mud ball or a hackysack. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Gibbie

I'm thinking it supposed to be a Buckeye, but I'm not sure.

--------------------
Austin Stars Drum & Bugle Corps | Kev's MySpace

Posts: 1126 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it brown, with a lighter-colored spot on top? That's what a buckeye looks like.

--------------------

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Kev is correct, it is a Buckeye.

Don't forget Scottsdale Community College with Artie the Artichoke. Sometimes SCC is refered to as the Fighting Artichokes, but I think that is informal.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kev
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kev   E-mail Kev   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I just saw the one in the desert on YouTube and it's definitely a buckeye. It was a little harder to tell in the NYC one, though I couldn't think of what else it could have been.

ETA: more on topic: my high school mascot was the sand crab. You can imagine the kinds of clever uses of "crabs" the other teams came up with. I liked having such a unique mascot. Also, the mascot of the nearest junior high was the fiddler crab which is a smaller type of crab.

--------------------
Austin Stars Drum & Bugle Corps | Kev's MySpace

Posts: 1126 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yay!! That's it! Thank you all. I knew someone would know. I didn't know that a buckeye was a real thing. I guess I didn't really think about what it was.

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

quote:
Originally posted by Gibbie:
Yay!! That's it! Thank you all. I knew someone would know. I didn't know that a buckeye was a real thing. I guess I didn't really think about what it was.

Gibbie

Buckeye is to buckeye tree as acorn is to oak tree. They're related to chestnuts -- unshelled chestnuts look similar, but are much smaller.

--------------------

Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to work with a guy from The Buckeye State. He carried the things around with him and handed them out to people he was introduced to. He'd explain that the buckeye was just like him, "a useless nut."

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxKaladin   E-mail MaxKaladin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The school district I attended growing up used to call it's teams the "Hillbillies". Then some rancher gave them a goat to use as a mascot and they changed to the "Battlin' Billies". School themed items were often emblazoned with a big goat.
Posts: 716 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sparklygirl
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparklygirl   E-mail sparklygirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My hometown school mascot was a mule. It never bothered me. Of course it made it easy for the other schools to say "We're gonna kick your ass".
Sparklygirl

--------------------
Few things are harder to put up with than a good example. -- Mark Twain
_ _______________________________ _

For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Posts: 34 | From: SW Missouri | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tenorcs
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tenorcs   Author's Homepage   E-mail tenorcs   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to teach at a performing arts high school. Our school colors were teal, pink, and yellow. And our mascot was the "Fighting Pigeons."
Posts: 95 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
B Hamilton
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B Hamilton   E-mail B Hamilton   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My son-in-law graduated from Cuero (Texas) HS home of the Gobblers. Yes, their mascot is a turkey.

--------------------
"This is my family. I found it all on my own. It's little & broken but still good."

Posts: 1338 | From: Orlando | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stan The Man
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stan The Man   E-mail Stan The Man   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Presbyterian Blue Hose (Clinton, SC) -- According to the college's website, several rumors exist on how this nickname was adopted, including a story that the Presbyterian Scotch-Irish wore blue stockings in the Puritan beginnings of the United States, or that a fierce war-like band of Scotch-Irish named the Hose painted their entire bodies blue before going into battle. The true story probably lies in a 1935 letter written by then-athletic director Walter Johnson to an inquiring English professor in Virginia. He remembered changing the school's athletic uniforms to blue, including blue stockings and jerseys. An unknown sports writer started calling the Presbyterian College teams the Blue Stockings in his articles. In later years “Stocking” became abbreviated to “the Hose,” particularly in newspaper headlines, and was more or less officially adopted by the student body in the late 1950’s.

Link

--------------------
"A horse may be coaxed to drink, but a pencil must be lead" - Stan Laurel

Posts: 249 | From: Dallas | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, I think "Breakfast Point" is a cool name for a school.

Heck, the name of my daughters' middle school is Turkey Foot.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Maddie
Rejoice, Rejoice, I've Found the Manuel!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maddie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Our mascot was the raider that was riding a three legged horse.

We were bad at sports. [lol]

--------------------
"I'm sorry for your loss. Your mother was a terribly attractive woman." - Royal Tenenbaum

Posts: 44 | From: Harrisburg, PA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Muskrat Monroe
A View to a Krill

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Muskrat Monroe   E-mail Muskrat Monroe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sparklygirl:
My hometown school mascot was a mule. It never bothered me. Of course it made it easy for the other schools to say "We're gonna kick your ass".
Sparklygirl

That was my high school mascot too!

--------------------
Someday I'll aquire wisdom, but for now, being a wise-ass will have to do.

Posts: 90 | From: the Michigan/Ohio border | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sparklygirl
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparklygirl   E-mail sparklygirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Muskrat Monroe:
quote:
Originally posted by sparklygirl:
Sparklygirl

That was my high school mascot too!
Did your school have a problem finding someone to dress up as the mascot? Ours always did. I will say they were always able to paint the mule on the gym floor with a sort of mean and menacing look though. [Smile]
Sparklygirl

--------------------
Few things are harder to put up with than a good example. -- Mark Twain
_ _______________________________ _

For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Posts: 34 | From: SW Missouri | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But everyone at the school will be the Biscuits, or whatever. (Hehe. Soggy biscuits.) Ahem. It's not as if they're coming in contact with kids from other schools every day.

Most likely, the ones who will be coming into contact with kids from other schools will be the athletes--and I'm sure they'll be able to handle themselves.

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Artemis:
But everyone at the school will be the Biscuits, or whatever.

No, that was sugegstion made in jest by a school board member.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know what their mascot is...I was just using that as an example. Everyone at the school will be the [insert stupid nickname], so it's not as if there's going to be that much teasing going on--except for the kids from other schools.

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zamboni_Rodeo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zamboni_Rodeo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's nothing wrong with being the "Biscuits." Just ask this minor-league baseball club.

I've got a friend who teaches at a college in Georgia. They call themselves the Fightin' Geese. He gave me a t-shirt last year from the school; it's one of the coolest ones I own (I'm not even sure if they have any athletic programs, but they do have a mascot).

--------------------
Where's the challenge in wassailing at Christmas? The place is lousy with wassail!

Posts: 232 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages