snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » Belgium dissolves, King and Queen flee country.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Belgium dissolves, King and Queen flee country.
Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, not really.

quote:
For a brief moment on Wednesday night it appeared that Belgium had disappeared. The main French language television station hoodwinked the country into thinking that it had split in two when it reported that Flanders had issued a unilateral declaration of independence.

The hoax, modelled on Orson Welles' famous War of the Worlds broadcast in 1938, kicked off at 8.21pm, when RTBF broke into its main current affairs programme with a newsflash. The Flemish parliament, in the northern half of the country, had just voted to secede from the Kingdom of Belgium.

Flag-waving Flemish nationalists outside the parliament illustrated the story which was then driven home to alarmed viewers with the news that King Albert II had fled the country, possibly to the former Belgian colony of Congo. Grainy pictures from a military airfield showed the royals, who hail from the Francophone tradition, boarding a plane.

Within seconds of the broadcast thousands of concerned viewers bombarded the television station with phone calls and its website crashed. Nervous embassies called the Belgian government to find out whether their job had been split in two.

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dfresh
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dfresh   E-mail dfresh   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Um, you mean that there really IS a nation called Belgium? I thought it was just a gag made up by Douglas Adams.
Posts: 420 | From: Oxford, PA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DAnnino
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DAnnino     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought it was just where waffles came from.

--------------------
NO BETTER FRIEND, NO WORSE ENEMY
--
"I grok when apes learn to laugh, they'll be people."

Posts: 727 | From: Southeastern Arizona | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dfresh
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dfresh   E-mail dfresh   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No DAnnio, those come from not waiting for the site to process your post, and hitting "Add Reply" a second time.
Posts: 420 | From: Oxford, PA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DAnnino
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DAnnino     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dfresh:
No DAnnio, those come from not waiting for the site to process your post, and hitting "Add Reply" a second time.

[lol]

--------------------
NO BETTER FRIEND, NO WORSE ENEMY
--
"I grok when apes learn to laugh, they'll be people."

Posts: 727 | From: Southeastern Arizona | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Brilliant! That's the kind of practical jokes I like!

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Daniceguy
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daniceguy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If the King of Belgium has abdicated, I say VOTE FOR BABAR!

-

--------------------
"Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes!"

"No it isn't."

Posts: 171 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bug Muldoon   E-mail Bug Muldoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And I missed it.

In a nice twist of irony, I missed it because I was at the opera - the same building where the revolution started in '30. How's that for a cosmic coincidence?

Unsurprisingly this has been all over the news for the past few days. What was most surprising to me was not that the majority of Walloons fell, for it, but that 6% refused to believe it was a hoax after the station admitted it [Big Grin]

In reality, a one-sided declaration of independence in extremely unlikely. Even the most radical Republicans want negotiated divorce, or even better, have Flanders become part of a stronger EU.

Moral of the story: the RTBf has a sense of humour and never trust a francophone [Big Grin]

--------------------
All along the untrodden paths of the future, I can see the footprints of an unseen hand.

Posts: 6912 | From: Flanders | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kahuna Burger
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Kahuna Burger   E-mail Kahuna Burger       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The War of the Worlds broadcast was not a "hoax", and any so called news station that pulls this sort of stunt on purpose better be planning a switch to an all entertainment program....

Kahuna "has no patience for liars" Burger

Posts: 96 | From: Attleboro, MA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That is excellent.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bug Muldoon   E-mail Bug Muldoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The War of the Worlds broadcast was not a "hoax", and any so called news station that pulls this sort of stunt on purpose better be planning a switch to an all entertainment program....
Belgium is already a surreal joke. One news report won't break it any further.

--------------------
All along the untrodden paths of the future, I can see the footprints of an unseen hand.

Posts: 6912 | From: Flanders | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DAnnino:

Or sprouts.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew of Ware, Elfland:
quote:
Originally posted by DAnnino:

Or sprouts.
Don't forget the French Fries.

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
French fries come from potatos.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bug Muldoon:
quote:
Belgium is already a surreal joke. One news report won't break it any further.
As Antoine de Caunes once said on Eurotrash "It's not that anything bad ever happens in Belgium, its just that nothing ever happens in Belgium."

quote:
Originally posted by Daniceguy If the King of Belgium has abdicated, I say VOTE FOR BABAR!

I say vote for Tintin!

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Down with the French-speaking Walloons and freedom for Flanders. That's what I always say, anyway." Michael Flanders.
Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 19 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why would my Malinois want to secede? [Wink]

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zerocool
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zerocool   E-mail zerocool   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was in Belgium three weeks ago and for some reason all of my extended family talk about this all the time. They would like nothing more than for that to come true. Since I don't really live there I don't know if their stated reasons reflect the reality of the situation.
Posts: 336 | From: Currently: Jakarta Indonesia Australia Belgium Berkeley CA > Lima Peru< | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Izzy Quigley
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Izzy Quigley   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I say vote for Hercule Poirot!

Up with ze little grey cells!

(Sorry, I just got done with finals.)

--------------------
A Viennese fellow is walking along the Karntner Strasse and notices a banana peel lying in his path. "Alas," he sighs, "now I must slip and fall down!"

Posts: 506 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Unsurprisingly this has been all over the news for the past few days. What was most surprising to me was not that the majority of Walloons fell, for it, but that 6% refused to believe it was a hoax after the station admitted it [Big Grin]

In reality, a one-sided declaration of independence in extremely unlikely. Even the most radical Republicans want negotiated divorce, or even better, have Flanders become part of a stronger EU.

Moral of the story: the RTBf has a sense of humour and never trust a francophone [Big Grin]

Did I ever mention that the ancestral home of the people bearing my surname was Liège? No? They fled to Prussia when this Napolean guy was starting to conscript people for some war he had planned.

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

quote:
Did I ever mention that the ancestral home of the people bearing my surname was Liège? No? They fled to Prussia when this Napolean guy was starting to conscript people for some war he had planned.

We call it 'Luik'. Liège is the French name [Big Grin]

Were they from the province or the city?

quote:
I was in Belgium three weeks ago and for some reason all of my extended family talk about this all the time. They would like nothing more than for that to come true. Since I don't really live there I don't know if their stated reasons reflect the reality of the situation.
There's a lot of talk about independence and a lot of whining from people who don't like Walloons (and vice versa), but nothing's going to happen because no-one wants to make the effort.

--------------------

TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

We call it 'Luik'. Liège is the French name [Big Grin]

Were they from the province or the city?

The province. Most of the people with the same surname live in or near Seraing, and have done so historically (as far back as the 16th century at least).

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 27 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How can Belgium dissolve when Belgium doesn't even exist?
Here is proof.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Daniceguy
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daniceguy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
YOMANK, Signora!

You know, they actually had me believing I once ascended an escalator in that crazy so-called Belgian "Atomium" and looked out of the windows.

Those conspirators are SO clever!

--------------------
"Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes!"

"No it isn't."

Posts: 171 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 27 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, they are! And we are so gullible. Poor Bug Muldoon. Gullible isn't in the dictionary.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If Belgium were really to split between Flanders and Wallonia, would His current Belgian Majesty remain as king of the one part while the other would become a republic, or would the kingship of one part devolve to a cadet branch, or would both parts become republics? Or, conversely, would Wallonia become a part of France while Flanders would become a part of the Netherlands?

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

quote:
If Belgium were really to split between Flanders and Wallonia, would His current Belgian Majesty remain as king of the one part while the other would become a republic, or would the kingship of one part devolve to a cadet branch, or would both parts become republics? Or, conversely, would Wallonia become a part of France while Flanders would become a part of the Netherlands?
Considering that the king is originally francophone and has far more support south of the border than north, I wouldn't expect him to rule Flanders.

That said, the king is inextricably linked to Belgium as a whole. The communities already have a fully-functional government with their own president, parliament and ministers and to add in a king would require extensive legal wrangling. If anything, I'd expect the king to vehemently protest the split, then retire to another country out of protest.

There are movements that want to combine Flanders and the Netherlands, or Wallonia and France, but considering that the nation states of Europe are already ceding power to the EU I wouldn't expect a formal annexation. Stronger cultural and economics ties, certainly, but two new republics seem more likely.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages