snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » lawmaker proposes allowing armed teachers in class

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: lawmaker proposes allowing armed teachers in class
Open Mike Night
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 200 posted      Profile for Open Mike Night     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Beers proposes allowing armed teachers in class

quote:
Students do not go on shooting rampages at schools where teachers are armed, state Sen. Bob Beers believes.

As a result, the Las Vegas Republican said Wednesday that he's preparing a bill that would permit teachers and other school personnel who complete a course on firearm safety to carry a gun while they teach classes.

"I would expect enough teachers would be interested (in taking guns to school) so it would serve as a deterrent," said Beers, a failed gubernatorial candidate.

quote:
"We have banned guns in schools in Nevada and most of the rest of the nation for the last 20 years," Beers said. "Part of the problem is a small percentage of the population is brought up without a knowledge of and respect for guns."
That just has to take the cake for really bad ideas.

Now, if senator Gunn proposed beer in classes we might have something.

--------------------
On the crusade to eliminate Moral Asshattery wherever it exists
Member: AAMAH

Posts: 2940 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LyndaD
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyndaD   E-mail LyndaD   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone (I think from Michigan or Wisconsin) suggested this a couple months ago. Public opinion was pretty much against it. Every teacher I talked to then thought it was a terrible idea.

I imagined this senario:

Teacher: Johnny, I said sit down and be quiet.
Johnny: And what if I don't?
Teacher: I said SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!
(Bang! Bang!)
Teacher: Anybody have any questions?

Seriously, I work with some teacher that I would be highly concerned about carrying a loaded firearm on campus.

--------------------
I'll drive it ugly. You can't see the paint job when you're behind the wheel, anyway.

Posts: 570 | From: Central Valley, California | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Open Mike Night:

Now, if senator Gunn proposed beer in classes we might have something.

Of course, because no shooting rampage has ever happened in a school in which beer was freely available to the students.

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just goes to show you that no idea is so bad that someone, somewhere won't try to copy it.

Le sigh.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kahuna Burger
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kahuna Burger   E-mail Kahuna Burger       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Open Mike Night:
Beers proposes allowing armed teachers in class

First thought - "yeah, I guess a few beers might make me think this was a good idea too...."
Posts: 96 | From: Attleboro, MA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Donovan
Deck the Malls

Icon 103 posted      Profile for Donovan   E-mail Donovan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Second time around. This was proposed in Wisconsin a few months ago, much to our dirresion.

ETA: I knew I misspelled that state's name...

--------------------
Illius me paenitet, dux (Latin for fun and business)

"It's like trying to hawk pork chops at a kosher PETA banquet." - Esprise Me

Posts: 429 | From: Alabama | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That is one of the stupider ideas I've heard in a long time. Not the stupidest, but up there.

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 301 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elkhound:
That is one of the stupider ideas I've heard in a long time. Not the stupidest, but up there.

Dare I ask ...

Oh, why not? I haven't been disturbed enough today.

Elkhound, what's the stupidest one?

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LyndaD:
Someone (I think from Michigan or Wisconsin) suggested this a couple months ago. Public opinion was pretty much against it. Every teacher I talked to then thought it was a terrible idea.

I imagined this senario:

(Bang! Bang!)

I was thinking more about the possibility of a student grabbing the gun from wherever the teacher were to keep it.

Although I'm sure there are kooky teachers nutty enough to threaten a class with a gun.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
(Bang! Bang!)

[Eek!]

--------------------
Hello, I love you - won't you tell me your name?
Hello! I'm good for nothing - will you love me just the same?

Greetings from the dark side...

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Illuminatus
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Illuminatus   E-mail Illuminatus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember this being bandied about in Colorado after Columbine, as well.

--------------------
"DEAR APPALLED: I see no harm in a group of young women playing strip poker at an all-girl slumber party." -Dear Abby

Posts: 532 | From: Champaign-Urbana, IL | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
quote:
Originally posted by Elkhound:

Dare I ask ...

Oh, why not? I haven't been disturbed enough today.

Elkhound, what's the stupidest one?

Every time I try to come up with a 'stupidest idea', I remember hearing a stupider one.

What's the saying? "Nothing is foolproof, and there's always a fool around to prove it."

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages