snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » Soy makes you teh gay!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Soy makes you teh gay!
Jordashe
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 216 posted      Profile for Jordashe   E-mail Jordashe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=53327

It's so obvious!

Posts: 121 | From: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well he may take it one conclusion too far, but its true that many people are getting too much soy in their diet. And some people don't know it because its in processed foods that they wouldn't suspect. And the estrogen mimicking properties can cause health issues.
Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kmcm
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kmcm   Author's Homepage   E-mail kmcm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So all lactose intolerent people are very feminine? Wow. Stupidity abounds.

--------------------
Of course this land is dangerous! All of the animals are capably murderous. Especially the penguins.

i'm a figment of my own imagination, sometimes i don't exist

Posts: 1099 | From: Kitsap County, WA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a WooNet Daily article, which immediately makes it suspect.

If estrogenic compounds really did make a person gay, then we should see a lot of people who work in plastics or chemical industries gradually turning gay. Since this is not the case, I think the man's theory is busted right open.

Anyone care to find a more balanced article on this subject?

- Pseudo_Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kmcm:
So all lactose intolerent people are very feminine? Wow. Stupidity abounds.

That guys claims about behavioral effects are not well established, but it is established that soy can cause estrogen related health effects.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/3513607.stm

Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Clarity
Toys to the World

Icon 216 posted      Profile for Clarity   E-mail Clarity   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, that's kooky.
I saw a comment about this on Salon.com's daily Broadsheet column today also. They compared it with a site that claimed that eating soy would improve your sex life. Heh, Rutz's point was about sex too, but in another way entirely... that made me laugh.
Edit: Found something
i don't know the site very well, but this seems like a good summation of the estrogenic properties of soy. Not real scary at all. And it has links to other stuff about soy too.

--------------------
Kevin: Pink Bunkadoo?
Randall: Yeah. Beautiful tree that was. Og designed it. 600 feet high, bright red, and smelled terrible.

Posts: 71 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From the BBC link:
quote:
Soya contains the female hormone oestrogen and too much of it is being linked to poor quality sperm.
Wrong! Soya contains phytoestrogens (which are actually flavonoids -which we commonly call antioxidants) which act like estrogens (bind to the same receptors, etc). The primary phytoestrogen in soy is
genistein.

Edited because hit post too early:

According to the PDR, this compound
quote:
Genistein has estrogenic and antioxidant activities. It may also have anticarcinogenic, anti-atherogenic and anti-osteoporotic activities.
There is a rather lengthy bibliography at the end.

When I did a search on my science database on "Phytoestrogen" +"infertility" nothing came up about the supposed effect on men. There were some about problems in female mice.

This article:
Adverse effects on female development and reproduction in CD-1 mice following neonatal exposure to the phytoestrogen genistein at environmentally relevant doses
Author: Jefferson, WN ; Padilla-Banks, E ; Newbold, RR

However found that
quote:
Serum levels of progesterone, estradiol, and [b]testosterone[b] were similar between Gen-treated and control mice when measured before puberty and during pregnancy.
(Emphasis mine).

The demasculination claims were found in this article:
Perinatal exposure to genistein alters reproductive development and aggressive behavior in male mice
Author: Wisniewski, AB ; Cernetich, A ; Gearhart, JP ; Klein, SL
Email: saklein@jhsph.edu
Institution: Johns Hopkins Bloomberg Sch Publ Hlth, Dept Mol Microbiol & Immunol, 615 N Wolfe St, Baltimore, MD 21205 USA ; Johns Hopkins Bloomberg Sch Publ Hlth, W Harry Feinstone Dept Mol Microbiol & Immunol, Baltimore, MD 21287 USA ; Johns Hopkins Sch Med, Dept Pediat, Div Pediat Endocrinol, Baltimore, MD USA ; Johns Hopkins Univ, Sch Med, James Buchanan Brady Urol Inst, Dept Urol, Div Pediat Urol, Baltimore, MD 21218 USA
Journal: PHYSIOLOGY & BEHAVIOR; FEB 15 2005; v.84, no.2, p.327-334
Abstract: Exposure to endocrine disrupting chemicals adversely affects reproductive development and behavior in males. The goal of this study was to determine if exposure to genistein, an isoflavone found in soy, during early periods of sex differentiation alters reproductive development and behavior in male mice. Female C57BL/6 mice were fed a phytoestrogen-free diet supplemented with 0, 5 or 300 mg/kg of genistein throughout gestation and lactation. Anogenital distance (AGD) and body mass of male offspring was measured weekly from postnatal days 2-21, timing of preputial separation was assessed at puberty, and in adulthood, reproductive organ masses, sperm and testosterone production, and reproductive and aggressive behaviors were assessed. Exposure to genistein resulted in smaller AGD are reduced body mass, with the low-dose diet exerting a greater effect. Timing of preputial separation, adult reproductive behavior, sperm concentrations and testosterone production were not influenced by genistein treatment at either dose. Aggressive behaviors were decreased, whereas defensive behaviors were increased, in males that received the low-dose genistein diet. Exposure to genistein during critical periods of sex differentiation results in concurrent and persistent demasculinization in male mice. Phenotypic and behavioral abnormalities induced by genistein showed a non-monotonic response, where treatment with a low dose exerted a greater effect than treatment with a high dose of genistein. Given the popularity of soy infant formulas, the influence isoflavone exposure on reproductive and behavioral health in boys and men should be considered. (c) 2004 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

A review citing this paper Soy isoflavones and bone health: A double-edged sword?
Author: Reinwald, S ; Weaver, CM
Email: weavercm@purdue.edu
Institution: Purdue Univ, Dept Food Sci, W Lafayette, IN 47907 USA ; Purdue Univ, Dept Food Sci, W Lafayette, IN 47907 USA ; Purdue Univ, Dept Foods & Nutr, W Lafayette, IN 47907 USA
Journal: JOURNAL OF NATURAL PRODUCTS; MAR 2006; v.69, no.3, p.450-459

States:
quote:
Clinical studies in developing humans that either support or refute findings in animal studies are lacking. The effects of chronic consumption of high levels of soy isoflavones at each life stage to assess risk-benefit ratios should be a high priority of research.
In other words, we do not know if the effects on one strain of lab mice have implications for human health.

But I don't think "teh gay" is any more common in places in Asia where soy is a common part of the normal diet.

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm. Soy just makes me teh sick. I wonder if that means my digestive system is homophobic.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 218 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Soy makes you teh gay!
No ... that wasn't it ...

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buckleupp
Away in a Manager

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buckleupp   E-mail Buckleupp   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Make up your mind, WDN and like-minded folk...if homosexuality is a biochemical reaction, or the result of in-the-womb diet from your mother's over-soyed diet, then it can't be a choice, and there can be no moral culpability, right?

--------------------
HA! That's so funny I forgot to laugh...excluding that first Ha. -Stewie Griffin

Posts: 112 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You can always blame the soy industry!

Evil, evil industry.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Buckleupp:
Make up your mind, WDN and like-minded folk...if homosexuality is a biochemical reaction, or the result of in-the-womb diet from your mother's over-soyed diet, then it can't be a choice, and there can be no moral culpability, right?

No, it's your mother's fault which is the beauty thing of the whole business-- an update on the whole Adam/Eve myth.

First it was women experimenting with fruit that caused the Downfall of Man. Now it is women feeding their children soy that is causing the Downfall of Masculinity.

Because if I got nothing else from the article in the OP, it was that masculine=good; feminine =bad (women can, as it turns out, be too feminine).

No wonder we can't trust them to control their own fertility. I think in view of this, we should consider recinding that amendment that allowed them to vote...

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Salamander

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Salamander   E-mail Salamander   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseGirl:
From the BBC link:
quote:
Soya contains the female hormone oestrogen and too much of it is being linked to poor quality sperm.
Wrong! Soya contains phytoestrogens (which are actually flavonoids -which we commonly call antioxidants) which act like estrogens (bind to the same receptors, etc). The primary phytoestrogen in soy is
genistein.

Edited because hit post too early:

According to the PDR, this compound
quote:
Genistein has estrogenic and antioxidant activities. It may also have anticarcinogenic, anti-atherogenic and anti-osteoporotic activities.
There is a rather lengthy bibliography at the end.

When I did a search on my science database on "Phytoestrogen" +"infertility" nothing came up about the supposed effect on men. There were some about problems in female mice.

Tgirl, you know what talking science does to some of us on these boards...

There goes my ability to concentrate for the rest of the day.

--------------------
"victory thru self-deception"

Posts: 2211 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Peccavimus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peccavimus   E-mail Peccavimus       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I adore the fact that he links homosexuality to small penises. I keep laughing every time I think of it.
Posts: 113 | From: DeKalb, IL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Salamander:

Eat some soy. Apparently, that'll take care of your problem.

--------------------

Salamander

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Salamander   E-mail Salamander   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
quote:
Originally posted by Salamander:

Eat some soy. Apparently, that'll take care of your problem.
Don't you wish [Razz]

Actually I think this guy got a hefty payoff from the dairy industry to write "soy = gay". I can just see the homophobes rushing to buy milk now.

--------------------

Posts: 2211 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some sources say soy is goitrogenic (interferes with thyroid function). Hypothyroid patients are cautioned to be moderate in their soy intake, and not to eat soy within several hours of taking their thyroid hormone supplement.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseGirl:

Because if I got nothing else from the article in the OP, it was that masculine=good; feminine =bad (women can, as it turns out, be too feminine).

No wonder we can't trust them to control their own fertility. I think in view of this, we should consider recinding that amendment that allowed them to vote...

Perhaps men should just take over reproduction altogether and have the babies themselves. We obviously can't be trusted not to screw it up.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Perhaps men should just take over reproduction altogether and have the babies themselves. We obviously can't be trusted not to screw it up.
Well that was the plan, but we couldn't be carrying around babies while we were running the free world now could we? And that, my friend, is why we have women, think of them as mobile incubators, with an added bonus of them being fun to look at (well, except for those hairy armed liberal ones)

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Salamander

quote:
Originally posted by Mickey Blue:
Well that was the plan, but we couldn't be carrying around babies while we were running the free world now could we? And that, my friend, is why we have women, think of them as mobile incubators, with an added bonus of them being fun to look at (well, except for those hairy armed liberal ones)

Hey ladies, Mickey just recently sent me a PM to say that his post I've quoted is completely free of all sarcasm. Yes, he actually meant everything he said!

--------------------

landmammal
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for landmammal   E-mail landmammal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dammit! I was all set to move to Virginia for some firefighter love, but now my hopes are dashed!

Thank you, Sal, for saving me from a life of servitude.

--------------------
I can't put my arms down!

Posts: 273 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lyriccoloratura
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyriccoloratura     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Research in 2000 showed that a soy-based diet at any age can lead to a weak thyroid, which commonly produces heart problems and excess fat. Could this explain the dramatic increase in obesity today?"

Somehow, I don't think the TV-addicted, Twinkie-gobbling kids featured in today's dramatic increase in obesity were given an excess of soy in infancy (please note that not all obese kids are TV-addicted Twinkie-gobblers). I think they were given an excess of TV and Twinkies.

Posts: 10 | From: MA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ComicBookGeek

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ComicBookGeek     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess it's a good thing I got over my homophobia in recent years, since Soy is going to make millions of American's gay.

--------------------
My Blog

Posts: 177 | From: Mobile, AL | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:

Anyone care to find a more balanced article on this subject?

How about, you find one and we'll read it?

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That's why most of the medical (not socio-spiritual) blame for today's rise in homosexuality must fall upon the rise in soy formula and other soy products.
Is this guy for real????

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jordashe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jordashe   E-mail Jordashe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm glad to see such a detailed debunking taking place here.
The oddity of the claim that soy leads to both small penises, and feminine behavior seems especially suspect.
Feminine behavior is hardly a characteristic of the gay community. It's the behavior of a stereotype that seems to be a minority within the minority group - or one that just seems to be popular on TV.

Posts: 121 | From: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The oddity of the claim that soy leads to both small penises, and feminine behavior seems especially suspect.
If it were even remotely possible to get 'feminine behavior" (whatever the hell that's supposed to mean) by taking any product, I want a box of it to give to some of my co-workers for Christmas.

~Psihala
(*"Hey, I just got a heart transplant. Now I can write some really juicy love letters!)

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Open Mike Night
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Open Mike Night     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, if soy creates homosexuals because it "feminizes" people, can someone explain how lesbians fit into that equation? Since ,of course, out of control femeninity and masculinity in the wrong sex is what causes teh ghey, shouldn't we be seeing a sharp decrease in the number of lesbians?

--------------------
On the crusade to eliminate Moral Asshattery wherever it exists
Member: AAMAH

Posts: 2940 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Open Mike Night:
Ok, if soy creates homosexuals because it "feminizes" people, can someone explain how lesbians fit into that equation? Since ,of course, out of control femeninity and masculinity in the wrong sex is what causes teh ghey, shouldn't we be seeing a sharp decrease in the number of lesbians?

Surely an increase if it makes you both "girly" and gay?

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If soy makes guys gay, feminine, infertile etc, surely the population of China should be in rapid decline? Instead of one-child legislation, the consumption of soy products should have kept the population down.

I don't have any stats, but I'm fairly sure China's population is not decreasing through infertility or homosexuality in spite of soy products forming a large part of the diet. Lab results on mice are all well and good, but there is a huge real world model out there taht has been consuming soy for far longer than any population of lab rodent!

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
alicia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alicia   Author's Homepage   E-mail alicia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
so what about the massive amounts of hormones present in breastmilk? blaaaaaah.
Posts: 131 | From: Portland, OR | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages