snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » Germany to criminalize violent games

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Germany to criminalize violent games
Rebochan the Retail Reindeer
Good King Wal-Mart

Icon 213 posted      Profile for Rebochan the Retail Reindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/e98b3a9a-851c-11db-b12c-0000779e2340.html

Even *playing* a game deemed violent will net you jail time. So if you were looking forward to getting Resistance or Call of Duty during the PS3 launch, then prepare to either move out of Germany, or hide from the cops. Terrifying.

--------------------
"One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

"Vote Republican! We won't burn you at the stake for your religious beliefs or slaughter your family and steal your land." -- Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 3555 | From: Florida | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's assuming the bill that's just been introduced passes, of course.
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Good King Wal-Mart

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rebochan the Retail Reindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The article quoted that such a bill is incredibly popular right now. I hope that it fails of course - I don't live there, but I don't think banning video games outright is ever healthy for free speech in the world. Germany is a huge market, and a bill like that going through sets a dangerous precedent.

--------------------

"Vote Republican! We won't burn you at the stake for your religious beliefs or slaughter your family and steal your land." -- Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 3555 | From: Florida | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ban those damned violent games outright!! I mean, first you are shooting teh ebil Nazi's in the head, and next you are running around stealing little dots and eating blue ghosts! And don't get me started on that beautiful green centipede being blown to tiny bits... oh, the huMANity!!

I'm with Rebo and RW, I hope this is defeated. Who makes the decision as to what is "violent"?? Jesus, if they can ban TAG as being too violent and competitive, what can they do with video games?

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Computer games can't affect kids that much. I mean, if Pacman had affected us as kids we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music." - Marcus Brigstocke.

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Illuminatus
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Illuminatus   E-mail Illuminatus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why, exactly, would they stop at video games? If they believe that violent media can cause people to become killers, then there is really no end to what they can ban in the name of public safety. I don't have any figures on it, but I would assume that the US and Japan, which are both heavy video gaming markets but have wildly different crime rates, would show them the tenuousness of the link between the two.

--------------------
"DEAR APPALLED: I see no harm in a group of young women playing strip poker at an all-girl slumber party." -Dear Abby

Posts: 532 | From: Champaign-Urbana, IL | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This goes back - as the article stated - to a shouting incident at a school some weeks ago. After that, you had the usual suspects crying: "Ban violent video games and all will be good!"

The bill, however, is not even introduced yet:
quote:
The bill - unveiled this week by the states of Bavaria and Lower Saxony and due to be presented to the national parliament next year ...
If it is introduced, it will be voted upon by both the Bundesrat and Bundestag - and I doubt there will be a majority in both Houses. It will probably end in some tougher regulations about how violence can be depicted (no blood shown).

The school shooter, by the way, was 18 at the time of the incident and so was allowed to own and play the games that are blamed for his rage.

Don "what about chess?" Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Put an age limit on them if need be (but I'd prefer if it was a recommendation only), but don't outright ban them.

Besides, where does one draw the line? Are fairly abstract strategic simulationistic war games (Hearts of Iron for example) violent because they depict war, even though they only have abstract symbols for units?

Besides, I firmly believe in the inkblot theory. The images on the screen are not images, just a collection of coloured dots. What someone see in such a collection of dots is, much like the inkblots, something that depends on your own mind. This says a lot about the censorship proponents, who see violence and sex and blood and stuff where we normal people see stuff like flowers, kittens, sunsets and other calm and tranquil images.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Troberg, there is an age limit on most first person shooter games in Germany - 18 or at least 16. All games that have an 18 years limit are also forbidden to be advertised to minors, this makes them under-the-counter-ware for all game shops that allow minors in. These laws are in effect, but they don't keep minors from learning about the games (and getting their hands on them) via older friends or via internet, of course.

Concerning the inkblot theorie - I very much doubt that anybody sees "flowers, kittens, sunsets and other calm and tranquil images" in games like Half Live or Counter-Strike. Games like that are what the discussion is about, not abstract strategic simulationistic war games.

Having said that, I agree that the age limit is the way to go - and I don't follow the "Killer games made him do it"-theory.

Don Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Salamander

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Salamander   E-mail Salamander   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
This says a lot about the censorship proponents, who see violence and sex and blood and stuff where we normal people see stuff like flowers, kittens, sunsets and other calm and tranquil images.

Hmmmm... assuming it is the same software program, I'd say it says that someone seriously needs to upgrade their video drivers.

--------------------
"victory thru self-deception"

Posts: 2211 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Concerning the inkblot theorie - I very much doubt that anybody sees "flowers, kittens, sunsets and other calm and tranquil images" in games like Half Live or Counter-Strike. Games like that are what the discussion is about, not abstract strategic simulationistic war games.
You don't? You mean that you don't see the little puppy in Doom3 or the sunflower field which you dance on in Resident Evil or the cute little kittens that play with small balls of yarn in Silent Hill? You are a sick, sick person and should seek help immediately!

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bug Muldoon   E-mail Bug Muldoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I mean, first you are shooting teh ebil Nazi's in the head
Not in Germany you aren't. All Nazi's in videogames there are replaced with droids or zombies [Big Grin]

Germany has always been anal about censoring videogames. The bill is not surprising, but I doubt it'll get passed.

--------------------
All along the untrodden paths of the future, I can see the footprints of an unseen hand.

Posts: 6912 | From: Flanders | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James G.
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James G.   Author's Homepage   E-mail James G.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bug that's not strictly true. Nazi regalia and symbols are removed from games, but the nazi's themselves remain. (Okay, the wikipedia bit is poorly written)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_controversy#Germany

Mobygames is a bit clearer:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/amiga/indiana-jones-and-the-last-crusade-the-graphic-adventure/trivia

--------------------
This is a public service announcement. The board is moving. Check Announcements Photos[/URL]

Posts: 1302 | From: Edinburgh, UK (Currently Nr. Swindon, UK) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gavida
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gavida   E-mail Gavida   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It is the same thing happening every time some sociopath snaps and shoots at a school here in Germany.
The politicians shout that "ebil video games made him do it!".

To get the bill through will be one thing. If (and that is a huge "if") it will be passed I think that there will be several lawsuits going on, since censorship by the state is against the german constitution and a total ban sure will be seen as censorship by many.
If the bill is passed and the lawsuits won't reverse it you better start watching for the Bundeswehr having to learn the goose-stepping again. For me the planned censorship is the first step away from democracy to a totalitarian system again. Why not burn the video games and maybe even books containing violence.
There are several nice spots where the burning could take place. Maybe where the Spandau Prison once stood, or in the place where the Fuehrerbunker was.

But on a less sarcastic note:
Games that are rated "Age 18+" can be displayed in shops and stores that can be entered by minors. They must not be sold to minors though, the age has to be verified at the check-out if doubted.
Games that are on the "index" ("indiziert" as it is said in Germany) can not be advertised and are the "under-the-counter"-products.

BTW: I still think that bread should be forbidden, since every school-shooter ate bread somewhen in his life. Bread is the evil, I tell you!

Gavida

--------------------
"He looked bigger when I couldn't see him" - Jayne Cobb

Posts: 359 | From: Essen, NRW, Germany | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Good King Wal-Mart

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rebochan the Retail Reindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I'm glad that both Don Enrico and Gavida have clarified the situation and the bill's chance of passing. Thank you for easing my concerns with context. I know that America's constitution has defeated a lot of gaming violence laws over the past year in particular, but I didn't know what constitutional protection existed in Germany.

--------------------

Don Enrico

Icon 401 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gavida:
For me the planned censorship is the first step away from democracy to a totalitarian system again.

The first step? What about the law alowing the police to spy on you in your living quarters with sound and video recording, violating the constitutional right of unviolated living space (Unverletzlichkeit der Wohnung)? The joint database of police forces and secret service? The plan to make the lorry Autobahn poll data available to the police? CC video surveilance of public streets?

There been a lot of steps in the past years away from democratic freedom in Germany, even if there is no goose-step yet.

quote:
But on a less sarcastic note:
Games that are rated "Age 18+" can be displayed in shops and stores that can be entered by minors. They must not be sold to minors though, the age has to be verified at the check-out if doubted.
Games that are on the "index" ("indiziert" as it is said in Germany) can not be advertised and are the "under-the-counter"-products.

You've got that right - I was not clear enough in my above post. However, C&C Generals, Doom, Castle Wolfenstein, Duke, Far Cry, Half-Live, Quake and Resident Evil (among others) all made it on the index - if only in the US-Version. Full index for games (NFGermanSK).

Don Enrico

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages