snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » Bus Officials Apologize to Muslim Woman

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bus Officials Apologize to Muslim Woman
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 09 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Public transit officials have apologized to a woman wearing an Islamic facial veil who was turned away from a bus and rescinded a rule banning people with face coverings.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BRF_PUBLIC_BUS_VEIL?SITE=FLTAM

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cool. I'm going to try to get on the bus wearing a ski mask.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A busdriver told the woman in July that she would have to uncover her veil to board the bus, officials said. She had ridden other Rapid buses previously and was able to board another bus the same day.
Doesn't sound like the policy was very well understood by those responsible for enforcing it.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
educatedindian
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for educatedindian     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen people wearing ski masks on buses. And that's without ever having been to a city with ski resorts.
Posts: 69 | From: Texas | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Bentley:
Cool. I'm going to try to get on the bus wearing a ski mask.

I don't see why face coverings were banned in the first place. I can see why they might want someone with a photo ID buspass to show their face, but not a general paying customer.

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Many banks in the area here have signs on the door instructing their patrons that they are *required* to remove sunglasses, motorcycle helmets, etc., when entering the bank.

I see this as a fair request.

How long before someone - even a slightly built man - wears a burka as a disguise while robbing a bank?

--------------------
"The fate of *billions* depends on you! Hahahahaha....sorry." Lord Raiden - Mortal Kombat

Posts: 1587 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would imagine that it will be a pretty long time before a man wearing a burqa will rob a bank. A burqa is not a piece of clothing that lends itself to quick escape-- you know, witht the long skirt and the limited visibility through the veil. And, in most places, would render the wearer highly visible.

Also, cultures which tend to put women in full burqas do not tend to encourage them to conduct their own financial business either. It might involve then talking to a man who is not their relative.

On the other hand, it is reasonable to expect a woman in a veil (or more) to be able to take public transportation as the same mentality behind the veil in some cases will also require her not to drive. A bank is also private property, where public transport is public accomodation.

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hero_Mike:
Many banks in the area here have signs on the door instructing their patrons that they are *required* to remove sunglasses, motorcycle helmets, etc., when entering the bank.

I see this as a fair request.

How long before someone - even a slightly built man - wears a burka as a disguise while robbing a bank?

Reasonable for a bank maybe, but wasn't this about getting on a bus?

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If people wearing burqas become commonplace in society, then no doubt it would not draw as much attention as it does now. Of course, wearing one as a disguise only requires that it be worn *into* the bank - the restrictive lower part can be removed once the money is received, or more pertinently, once the concealed weapon is revealed.

Banks and many other private institutions must make accomodations to persons with disabilities, and often do for the sake of good relations with all of its customers. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable if the person next to me - in the bank - was wearing a motorcycle helmet.

The requirement that all customers can be identified visually - and for that matter recorded on video if there is a criminal act involved. I dare say that when my friend's wife had her bank account "drained" by someone other than her (or her husband), both she and the bank wished that they could review the video from that day.

There are some areas - private property or not - where it is reasonable and prudent for people to be identifiable. Public transit is one of them. Banks are another. I would also include in this stores like, say, jeweller's shops, where the likelihood of robbery is large. I dare say that wearing a veil to one's local "temple of bling" will gather a lot of suspicion.

There was a time when only two kinds of people hid their face from the public - bad guys, and the Lone Ranger. In many cases now, only the bad guys remain.

--------------------
"The fate of *billions* depends on you! Hahahahaha....sorry." Lord Raiden - Mortal Kombat

Posts: 1587 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hero_Mike:
I dare say that wearing a veil to one's local "temple of bling" will gather a lot of suspicion.

Mike, you should know there is only one officially recognized Temple of Bling and that this is a copyrighted phrase. You owe my friend V and I $100. Each. [Razz]

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages