snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » What would you do if (almost) everyone died of a mysterious plague? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What would you do if (almost) everyone died of a mysterious plague?
Graeybeard
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graeybeard   E-mail Graeybeard   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, #2...

Actually following per OP, I would first grieve for the deaths of C (DW) and T (DSIL), then burn their bodies and let their ashes drift in the wind.

Then I would start canvasing houses in the neighborhood and eventually nearby stores for supplies that I could use like canned goods, basic medicine/first aid materials, etc. I would also check sporting goods stores for ammo for the one gun I have as well as pick up bow/crossbow and hunting arrows/quarrels. I would practice shooting the bow/crossbow whilst actually using the gun for hunting/defense until my bow/crossbow skill was up to par. It will be easier in the long run to make/replace arrows/quarrels then it would to do the same for bullets.

For that matter, it would be easier to make/replace the bow/crossbow if need be .vs. the gun.

I would check out bookstores for anything on survival and food preserving to add to what I already have.

I would also starting learning to compensate for not having my glasses a bit at a time so that when, which is more likely than if, my glasses become useless or are lost, stolen, or destroyed; I'm already set on how to compensate for that.

I would be learning a lot as fast as I could, food preservation, tanning hide/leather, hunting skills, etc.

Eventually I would likely venture north out of the city, maybe central CA where there is more apt to be water and game.

If I came across a group to throw lots in with, so much the better.

Survive and move on.

GB

--------------------
"It matters not, the size of dot, what colour skin, or paper thin;
What matters more, to set the score; the heart within, and spirit kin." PLH 2006

Posts: 25 | From: Burbank, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Graeybeard

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graeybeard   E-mail Graeybeard   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeaflessMapleTree:
... Why not just come live out your days in our hedonistic Cocoa-Cannabis Kingdom and wave to Troodon as humanity disintegrates?

I guess for me, it would be more of a challenge seeing how long I could live/survive, and perhaps help with repopulation (either my own or someone else's). That would give me the most satisfaction/pleasure. Your way would give you the most satisfaction/pleasure.

To each their own path. [Smile]

GB

--------------------
"It matters not, the size of dot, what colour skin, or paper thin;
What matters more, to set the score; the heart within, and spirit kin." PLH 2006

Posts: 25 | From: Burbank, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxKaladin   E-mail MaxKaladin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Flee the city as fast as possible. There are a lot of variables, but there will be a number of problems with staying in the city:

1. Most power plants cannot run without supervision for very long. Within hours or days, something will happen that will trigger a failsafe and shut the plant down without human intervention. Dedicated staff might be able to run the power station understaffed, but how likely is it that they'll remain at their post with the world dying around them? Power will be out within a few days. Depending on who survives and how things play out, it may be back up eventually but it may also be academic.

2. With the power out, water service is going to go out as well since there will be no power to run the pumps.

3. Without power, the sewage system is likely to go out.

4. The lack of power, running water, sewage treatment, the lack of garbage collection and the millions of corpses lying around will spawn a plethora of secondary epidemics.

5. With that many deaths, social order is likely to break down. I'd expect lots of looting and general lawlessness. The police will be overwhelmed and the military will be much more than decimated by the plague. The city will probably become a very dangerous place to live very shortly.

6. Cities are firetraps. Even with modern safety measures, fires can spread fairly easily because of the dense nature of most cities. With most of the population dead, there won't be enough firefighters to quench every fire that starts. This makes it that much harder to Add in fires started because of rioting and fires started when people drop dead without making sure every source of flame is out (including cigarettes and so on) and cities are likely to turn into infernos in fairly short order.

7. Cities generally have only a few days of food without more being shipped in. Granted, reducing the population to 5% of what it was will extend that life, but much of it will be destroyed or rendered unusable in the chaos that follows. Food will likely run out fairly quickly.

In short, remaining in a city is liable to be a deathtrap.

If possible, I'll take the opportunity to gather what I can for a day or so. At the top of the list is one of those fancy radios that can pick up all sorts of frequencies like shortwave. I'll also try to get a generator and gas for it along with batteries and a charger so I can run the radio and any other batterty powered devices I bring. Add to that general camping gear. Finally, I'll look for friends who survived to take with me.

I do not get a fancy car. The roads are likely to have obstructions and I may need to go offroad to travel. Fortunately, I have a 4WD so I don't need to switch.

Once I'm ready, I'll be heading for the small town where I grew up to check on my parents. I'll assess things there. If people have their heads on straight and I think the town can pull through, I'll stick around but otherwise will probably head further into the "boonies" to ride things out. I know places that I can be relatively undisturbed. I'll have stocked up on food as best I can and will have brought guns and bows for hunting. Shelter shouldn't be a problem.

Eventually, I'll check in and see what's developing in the outside world. I'll monitor any stations still transmitting with the radio. Eventually, I'll think about going into the world again to make contact. In the meantime, I'll have brought plenty of books.

ETA: Whenever I read one of these sorts of threads, I always start to think about actually making preparations for some sort of big disaster. Things like buying that fancy radio, for instance.

Posts: 716 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
happyfrog, Max brings up a good point. Any ideas on how to keep our kingdom powered and functioning?

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eddylizard:
And a good supply of milk of amnesia. Later I'd have to work out a way of purifying the river water.

Just don't waste a bunch of time by learning a bunch of stuff (i.e how to purify river water) and then take some of that Milk of Amnesia [Wink]

--------------------
Peter: You better watch who you're calling a child Lois, because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedophile, and I'll be damned if I'm going to stand here and be lectured by a pervert

Posts: 354 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
happyfrog, Max brings up a good point. Any ideas on how to keep our kingdom powered and functioning?

Coal or wood fired steam generators. Neither needs the fuel to be refined and both types of fuel can be easily stockpiled without going bad (gasoline/diesel evaporate and get gummy when stored for long periods of time). The technology to build a steam piston engine is much easier than to build a gasoline or diesel engine. The generator itself is fairly simple and a DC motor can be used as a DC generator in a pinch.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, sir. Want a spot inside?

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sue Bee
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What are your ideas of keeping law and order? If 95% of the police and 95% of the military had died, and assuming the remaining 5% has stayed on the job, well, maybe things would be rosy, but in reality, if something like bird flu does jump species to humans and wipe out even 10-15 or 20% of the population, there would likely be mass choas. Would you go to work (or school) knowing that you may get this thing (of course, I am presuming that no one has the luxury of knowing if they have some biological immunity)? I wouldn't, and I am assuming that most other folks wouldn't either. So gas stations and grocery stores and power plants would likely shut down, and even if they were open, there would be no one to resupply the shops. Are you currently prepared to live in your house, self contained, for more than a few days? What if it's winter, and there is no heat? How about defending yourself, in the event that you have stocks of food and petrol? Because if you have food, I am sure that your neighbors are coming over to "ask" you to share. Not to mention that the neighbor of yours may just be a walking plague factory, and you may have liked them just fine before, but dammit, they might be contagious, and now they want some of your food, or gas or water. Do you have a means of defending yourself?

Reading accounts of people in states neighboring Louisiana after Katrina, people were quickly overwhelmed with family, and friends of family and friends who descended on them, and what may look to you like a few weeks of food in your larder or pantry will only last a day or two when you have 20 or 30 people to feed. Not to mention the anarchy that occured there (in Louisiana, with looters and what not). Take a look at a grocery store before a major snow storm is predicted, many staples get wiped out.

So basically, IMO, those of us who live in cities and suburbs, we're probably doomed if a major plague wiped out 95% of the population, regardless.

Posts: 1596 | From: Illinois | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Thanks, sir. Want a spot inside?

No thanks. I'm going for wiping out the rest of the human race (I hate partially completed jobs).

Either that or I might go for sadistic fudal overlord. Think Deacon (Dennis Hopper) in Waterworld or Lord Humungus in The Road Warrior.

ETA: But don't worry, I'll get around to conquering you before long. Ta!

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
happyholidaysfrog
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happyholidaysfrog   Author's Homepage   E-mail happyholidaysfrog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What genyus said sweetie. And Sue, personally I would be looking forward to a breakdown of government so that it can be rebuilt from the bottom up.

Even if some law-men survived, there wouldn't be anything above them to punish the people who were "bad". I hate the idea of firearms, but then there will be some charecters left behind that will be total loose cannons so becoming skilled and comfortable with firearms will be a concern(also for when hunting meat is needed).

I don't want to ever have to use them on people (it will be bad enough having to hunt) as I just want a laid back apocalypse with chocolate and big bongs full of kind bud!

I hadn't thought about it before Maple darling, but I think we should look for a location close to a nice large library so all the books we could ever want to read will be at our fingertips, and for entertainment we can spend our time reading Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe, Alice in Wonderland and anything else we fancy aloud.

--------------------
~All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream~
E.A.Poe

Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
~James Dean~

Posts: 516 | From: Anderson, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James G.
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James G.   Author's Homepage   E-mail James G.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I spend far too long considering things like this.

With the 95% dead in slowish plague idea then I think we loose some of the major problems. I think it can be assumed that powerstations and the like would be shut-down safely, leaving them reasonably safe for at least the immediate future. The surviving members would have to look at decomisioning our nuclear reactors. Meanwhile the other stations would either be allowed to fall into disrepair, or will eventually be restarted.

Survival through the plague period will largely depend on how the plague was spread, how long it took people to die etc. In most cases this is likely to be fairly grim, but although a long transition may be more disorderly initially, I think we'd be better prepared at the other end.

95% is an interesting number. It would be possible to rescue society, although there would be a risk of breakdown. As I suggested earlier, I think this transition will largely depend on our preparations earlier. I think society as a whole will depend on people co-operating to ensure that we still have effective farming, distribution etc. While pillaging will certainly help support individuals for a while, agriculture and societal structures will be vital to maintain civilisation. A worrying possibility is that if we aren't too carefull we may loose crop varieties as they outbreed. Some form of agriculture is absolutely essential to maintain the current basis of humanity. In some ways developing countries will be better suited to this transition, as their less centralised distribution centres will be less hit by the plague.

But in terms of me? Its a bit difficult without knowing how the country as a whole will fair. I'd like to think that the UK wouldn't completely fall appart, but when you have the infrastructure dying as well its difficult to say. Once it was apparent that the immediate status quo wouldn't hold I'd offer up my services to whatever government we have availible. I'm hoping there would be need of scientists, and as I'm a geneticist I probably could work within my disipline. The virus would clearly be very virulent, and although you could mount little response to the first endemic, it may be possible to help avoid a worse situation should the virus mutate. (Plus there would be the fear of it jumping to other species.)

I'm tempted by the whole hoarding of food, and watching of films/reading books, but as others have pointed out 5% survivors is probably not small enough to give up on civilisation. (Indeed, any urban centres would still have many people)

--------------------
This is a public service announcement. The board is moving. Check Announcements Photos[/URL]

Posts: 1302 | From: Edinburgh, UK (Currently Nr. Swindon, UK) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree

quote:
Originally posted by happyfrog:
What genyus said sweetie. And Sue, personally I would be looking forward to a breakdown of government so that it can be rebuilt from the bottom up.

Even if some law-men survived, there wouldn't be anything above them to punish the people who were "bad". I hate the idea of firearms, but then there will be some charecters left behind that will be total loose cannons so becoming skilled and comfortable with firearms will be a concern(also for when hunting meat is needed).

I don't want to ever have to use them on people (it will be bad enough having to hunt) as I just want a laid back apocalypse with chocolate and big bongs full of kind bud!

I hadn't thought about it before Maple darling, but I think we should look for a location close to a nice large library so all the books we could ever want to read will be at our fingertips, and for entertainment we can spend our time reading Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe, Alice in Wonderland and anything else we fancy aloud.

This is all sounding fantastic. I'm busy concocting a horribly infectious, deadly plague as we speak. Get ready, everyone.

--------------------
-Silas Sparkhammer

A Guy Named Goo
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Guy Named Goo   Author's Homepage   E-mail A Guy Named Goo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Plan One: Probably die. I'm not lucky enough to survive a plague that wipes out most of humanity.

And my next plan is in two parts:

Part One: Remove clothing.

Step Two: Run through town screaming "I AM DEATH INCARNATE BEWARE!". My pasty white skin which always has something of the pallor of death should scare the last survivors away.

ETA: Incidently, I would only do my biological duty for the human race and foresake my true gender if Anthony Rapp or Milo Ventimiglia were available for the breeding. Otherwise, you're all on your own.

--------------------
“I really feel like this is part of my life's work....It's part of what I want to do with my time here....So if I can make a difference at all by talking openly about myself, I'm glad.” - Anthony Rapp, Without You, pp. 206-207

Posts: 592 | From: Kenduskeag, ME | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ica171
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ica171   E-mail ica171   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems like there are a couple ways this could go...

First of all, can I choose the 5% that survive, leaving out the people that are likely to become violent? Things would be so much easier and Utopian then.

If it's a 5% survival situation and there are rotting corpses around, I'd get a bonfire going. As was mentioned before, there are few things more conducive to disease than rotting human flesh. If my family has died, I'd mourn them and probably burn them. I'd try to bury them, but that takes quite a bit of time to dig a hole that size by hand. (Don't ask how I know.)

After that, I'd probably spend some time alone in a slightly rural area, close enough that I could get to a city/suburb if need be, but far enough away that no one would be likely to bother me. I'd stock up on supplies and start trying to be self-sufficient as much as possible. I assume that of the 5% that have survived they've figured out a way to keep the power on, but if not I have a generator. A property with a well and with an empty septic tank would probably be best for long term use.

After I've gotten fed up with being alone, I'd go rejoin society, possibly the one run by Frog and Maple. I don't particularly want more children, so the repopulating would be left to others. After a few years I really don't see that this would be much different than regular society.

If it's a situation where it's much less than 5% survival, or just me, I'd gather as many supplies as I could and get a really nice bike, because most fuel pumps don't work without electricity. I'd travel as far as I could and learn to live with the solitude, probably getting a few dogs or cats to travel with me. (I'd have one of those little cart things for all my gear and animals.) I doubt I'd travel forever, as I got older I'd probably settle in a really nice house in the country somewhere and live off the land. I know a little about gardening, and the rest of what I need to survive can be found in books.

Posts: 384 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cytotoxin

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cytotoxin   E-mail Cytotoxin       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I keep thinking of The Omega Man, with Heston riding around the empty city with his little fortress of a house...

Anyways, I would instantly secure whatever I could find in my house, particularly the antibiotics, low-grade respirators, swords, bandages, and car.

First stop would be the local police station, which I have verified has at least one M16 and at least one MP5. I would stock up on munitions and grab as many firearms as possible. I would also grab a handful of police radios, batteries, and their biggest van, stock up with as many weapons and as much ammo as possible, and siphon gas from other cars.

Next stop would be my friend’s house, where I'd grab his shotgun, rifles, ammunition, and BB guns (I'll explain later). I would also take his pilot's radio, and stock up on batteries.

I would stop quickly at the local U-Haul for a large trailer, and then drive down to Walmart. Checking the store, I would stock up on their shotguns, rifles, and ammunition, grab some machetes, and again with BB guns. I would take a day's break, using the BB guns to practice aiming, and eating what I could.

I would try not to sleep, taking any caffeine I could find, then stock up with antibiotics, medical supplies, food, batteries, respirators (just in case), siphon more gas, and grab shortwave radio transmitters.

Along the ride to the local radio station, I would continually issue broad-spectrum transmissions, seeking out anyone nearby. Once at the station, I would set up a barricade just in case, stock the station with my supplies, and get the building decently organized.

Radio station secured, I would use their generator (I know they have one) to send out some transmissions seeking survivors. I would order supply acquisition raids to Walmart, Target, and other stores for food, batteries, and ammunition.

Army of militia ready, I would lead the trek upstate or into upstate New York, free from external factors in the peaceful, unpopulated setting. We would establish a town, and begin to cultivate crops and scout out the area, maintaining ourselves for as long as we can, potentially migrating if resources become scarce.

Under a single banner, we would seek to unite the remaining survivors, while maintaining our community.

Posts: 6 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree

quote:
After I've gotten fed up with being alone, I'd go rejoin society, possibly the one run by Frog and Maple.
That's fine with me, ica171, but let me remind you that we aren't really running a society with long-term aspirations. We're just spearheading a palace of hedonism so we can eat chocolate and get high until we die of something or other.

But in the words of The Who: "Come and join the party dressed to kill".

--------------------
-Silas Sparkhammer

Maddie
Rejoice, Rejoice, I've Found the Manuel!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maddie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In my own imagination, where the corpses have poofed away (maybe it was a disease that ate the body whole & such? Makes my day dreams a whole lot easier), I'd learn how to fly a plane & inhabit a castle of some sort. A big one, with lots of room & maybe a pretty garden or something.

But after that, it's up to to Cocoa & Weed Land to happily puff, puff, pass away the rest of my existance, if I am allowed in, of course.

Hopefully, this whole 95% thing isn't going to happen.

--------------------
"I'm sorry for your loss. Your mother was a terribly attractive woman." - Royal Tenenbaum

Posts: 44 | From: Harrisburg, PA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages