snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » Manliness is next to godliness (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Manliness is next to godliness
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 208 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Convinced that men are dodging church because it saps their masculinity, some evangelists invoke a tougher Jesus to get the rams back into the fold.

http://www.southflorida.com/news/la-na-godmen7dec07,0,6520118.story

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 84 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
When he spots a Wal-Mart clerk writing "Happy Holidays" on a window, he boldly complains: It should say "Merry Christmas."

The clerk erases the offending greeting. Chalk one up for Christian testosterone.

"I wouldn't have done that before," Stephenson says proudly. "I am no longer a doormat."

I... don't know what to say.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
tougher... more masculine... comes up complete intolerance for anything that isn't Christian.

Jeeeeeez...

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
evilrabbit
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilrabbit   E-mail evilrabbit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Good for you, you're no longer a doormat. Now you're a pushy, obnixious jerk. Much better.

Do these people not realize that they have other options than "doormat" or "caveman"?

--------------------
"My sandwich choice is uncertain, until I actually order. It's like Schrodinger's Sandwich."
"Is plutonium involved in this sandwich in any way?"
"Maybe."

Posts: 496 | From: Whitby, ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Read that article earlier today, and this was my favorite quote:

Eric Miller, a construction worker, admits his wife is none too pleased when he takes off, alone, on a weekend camping trip a few weeks after the GodMen conference this fall.

"She was a little bit leery of it, as we have an infant," he reports. "She said, 'I need your help around here.' "

Miller, 26, refuses to yield: "I am supposed to be the leader of the family."

He's pretty sure his wife will come around once she recognizes he's modeling his life after Jesus', like a good Christian should. It'll just take a little explaining, because the Jesus he has in mind is the guy on the wanted poster: "confrontational and sarcastic when he needed to be," Miller says, and determined to use "whatever means was necessary to achieve his goal."

So, if I understand this, he and his wife have an infant, he wants to go on a camping trip, and that trumps his need to assist with his own child! Yea. Christian. And not only that, but he's willing to use "any means necessary" to get his wife to shut up and bend over?!? Dude. I am so, so scared for the wives and children of these asshats.

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 500 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
He's pretty sure his wife will come around once she recognizes he's modeling his life after Jesus', like a good Christian should.
My copy of the New Testament apparently omits the parts describing how Jesus deserted those who needed Him most in order to attend to His own desires. I think it must be in Agenda 6:22.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cowboy Joe
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cowboy Joe   E-mail Cowboy Joe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I sense an upturn in the Christian divorce rate on the horizon.

--------------------
"See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda." -George W. Bush, Greece, N.Y., May 24, 2005

Posts: 382 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kahuna Burger
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Kahuna Burger   E-mail Kahuna Burger       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
quote:
He's pretty sure his wife will come around once she recognizes he's modeling his life after Jesus', like a good Christian should.
My copy of the New Testament apparently omits the parts describing how Jesus deserted those who needed Him most in order to attend to His own desires. I think it must be in Agenda 6:22.

- snopes

Well, he did dis his mom once didn't he? And encourage one of his disciples to walk away from his ?brother's? funeral...

(not seriosuly arguing this is a WWJD solution, just envisioning these guys having a case of beers and reading John 2:4 over and over again, "Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come.")

Posts: 96 | From: Attleboro, MA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Izzy Quigley
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Izzy Quigley   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is sad. They're using Jesus as an excuse to behave in ways which I seriously doubt Jesus would have condoned.

I don't like alpha males much...

--------------------
A Viennese fellow is walking along the Karntner Strasse and notices a banana peel lying in his path. "Alas," he sighs, "now I must slip and fall down!"

Posts: 506 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Avril
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avril     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[Roll Eyes]

Let's see here...

quote:
When Mary reached the place where Jesus was and saw him, she fell at his feet and said, "Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died."

When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come along with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in spirit and troubled. "Where have you laid him?" he asked.

"Come and see, Lord," they replied.

Jesus wept.

John 11:32-35

So it seems Jesus was empathetic with a weepy woman. Hmm...

quote:
Soon afterward, Jesus went to a town called Nain, and his disciples and a large crowd went along with him. As he approached the town gate, a dead person was being carried out—the only son of his mother, and she was a widow. And a large crowd from the town was with her. When the Lord saw her, his heart went out to her and he said, "Don't cry."
Luke 7:11-13

So it wasn't the only time...

I could go on, but it would be fruitless, as it will not affect the appropriate audience. People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating.

Avril

--------------------
There is no failure unless one stops. --Ray Bradbury

Posts: 2115 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Fed
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Fed   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Fed   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A reading from the Gospel according to Wayne.

And as the disciples gathered about Him, He sat upon a tree stump and scratched Himself idly.

"This above all things, He said. "There is no greater good, and no other way unto My Father's kingdom, but to act like an adolescent lout."

Jesus belched.

"Lord," said Peter Simon, "Lord, when you said 'turn the other cheek,' You didn't really mean it, did You?"

And Jesus rolled His eyes and walked up to Peter Simon and rapped His knuckles quite sharply on Peter Simon's head in an ostensibly teasing and friendly but actualy hostile manner. "HELLO? IS ANYONE AT HOME?" asketh the Lord of Hosts. "Of COURSE I didn't mean it. That whole routine -- the turning the cheek, the celebration of the meek, the Democrat class warfare stuff -- that was all to bring in the chick demographic. It's OK to lie to them, you know. They aren't real people."

And the disciples applauded Him and hooted and pumped their fists and pounded each other on the back, and several farted for emphasis.

--------------------
With occasional, half-hearted, semi-literate blogging comes great responsibility.

Posts: 1621 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Avril:
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating.

Can I have this for a sig line? It's ... well, exactly what these people need to hear.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, I kept scrolling down trying to find the one REALLY stupid cake-topper to quote. Instead I found that everything that was said was equally sig-worthy material...so long as it was for a message board called
www . im-a-big-dolt . com

*sigh*

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Avril

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avril     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
quote:
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating.

Can I have this for a sig line? It's ... well, exactly what these people need to hear.
Be my guest. It's about time I said something sig line worthy.

Avril

--------------------

Posts: 2115 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Excellent! [Big Grin]

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Stine's wife, Desiree, says she supports manly leadership; it seems to her the natural and God-ordained order of things. As she puts it: "When the rubber hits the bat, I want to know my husband will protect me."
Hmm. I prefer knowing that my husband-to-be and I will protect each other.

And what the bloody hell kind of metaphor is "when the rubber hits the bat," anyway?

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Minstrel gone caroling:
And what the bloody hell kind of metaphor is "when the rubber hits the bat," anyway?

Sounds like there's some interspecies erotica going on here. [Eek!]

--------------------

Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, let me get this straight: A man proves he's the leader of his family by leaving his family to go camping with the guys. Someone explain to me how that is leading his family. Do good leaders abandon their followers?

I guess I just don't get this new Christian thing.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mouse

Icon 505 posted      Profile for Mouse   E-mail Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The ridiculous amount of emphasis on machismo and being a real man mentioned among all these guys makes me think of a group of teenage boys. Teenage boys often affect a cartoonishly masculine facade because they're scared and insecure in the presence of the opposite sex. Most outgrow this stage, these guys clearly haven't.

Of course it's easy to make a "compensating for something" joke and don't think I'm above it. I'll resist temptation and keep said joke to myself but out of curiosity, has anyone ever actually been in a church where they had pink carpeting?

The funniest part for me was this bit:

quote:
A workshop called "Training the Penis" encourages men to talk openly about temptation and bond with guys who share their struggles.

Now I can't stop picturing a bunch of guys looking down at their penises saying, "Sit. Stay. Roll over." Curse my filthy mind.

Guess it's another reason on a long list of reasons as to why I'm going to Hell.

--------------------
"You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff." Coop from MegasXLR

"I distrust who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -- Susan B. Anthony

Posts: 2246 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Avril

quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
The ridiculous amount of emphasis on machismo and being a real man mentioned among all these guys makes me think of a group of teenage boys. ... Most outgrow this stage, these guys clearly haven't.

I agree! I actually said this to a friend, though I didn't post it, last night. I see it as an influence of the broader, secular culture, where you have things such as the "Man Show" and whatnot glorifying a prolonged adolescence.

quote:
[O]ut of curiosity, has anyone ever actually been in a church where they had pink carpeting?
Not really, though I have seen plenty of "feminine" decor. The thing is, "feminine" is culturally defined. A few centuries ago, men went around in ruffles and lace with long hair or wigs.

I have not seen lace curtains, etc. But I did attend a church which had carpeting of a deep mauve which some might have called "pink," I guess, and quite a lot of big floral print loveseats in the foyers. The church I attend now is so neutral I really can't remember the color scheme, though I know gray is a heavy influence. There are large cloth panels that change with the liturgical seasons, though not to match liturgical colors, curiously enough, so what in "ordinary time" is yellow is red for Advent.

Avril

--------------------

Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I was intrigued by the list of rules for real men, the first of which is "Women, learn to work the toilet seat. You're a big girl. If it's up, put it down." And I found an online list that begins with that here: http://funny2.com/mensrules.htm, where they're represented as being jokes. Among the charmers therein: "Sometimes we are not thinking about you. Live with it," and "Whenever possible, please say whatever you have to say during commercials." Yep, that's indicative of a loving Christian attitude toward your lifemate. And there's also "Sunday = sports. It's like the full moon or the changing of the tides. Let it be," though I suppose a smart pastor might edit that one.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now.. coming back to Jesus and turning the other cheek. It makes me wonder now which cheek is mentioned. If you slap Jesus does he turn around and moon you?

--------------------
~Reality, the refuge of those who fail in RPGs~
aka Darkfist Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Posts: 334 | From: Lancaster, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Strawberry Limeade
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Strawberry Limeade   Author's Homepage   E-mail Strawberry Limeade   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm seriously lamenting the fact they brought up John Eldredge and Wild at Heart. It is a book about being a "more manly Christian" but not in a "bring woman back to cave by hair, that is if you can be bothered with woman at all" kind of way.

--------------------
"My artist statement is incomprehensible and therefore full of deep significance." - Calvin

Posts: 36 | From: Indiana | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TwoGuyswithaHat
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwoGuyswithaHat   E-mail TwoGuyswithaHat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mistletoey Chloe:
Well, I was intrigued by the list of rules for real men, the first of which is "Women, learn to work the toilet seat. You're a big girl. If it's up, put it down." And I found an online list that begins with that here: http://funny2.com/mensrules.htm, where they're represented as being jokes. Among the charmers therein: "Sometimes we are not thinking about you. Live with it," and "Whenever possible, please say whatever you have to say during commercials." Yep, that's indicative of a loving Christian attitude toward your lifemate. And there's also "Sunday = sports. It's like the full moon or the changing of the tides. Let it be," though I suppose a smart pastor might edit that one.

That was a list from Maxim about five or six years ago. Are pastors now taking their cue from Maxim?

--------------------
In politics, absurdity is not a handicap - Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 1801 | From: The Forest City, Ontario | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lavender blue
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 98 posted      Profile for lavender blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Fed:
A reading from the Gospel according to Wayne.

Jesus belched.

And the disciples applauded Him and hooted and pumped their fists and pounded each other on the back, and several farted for emphasis.

[lol]

This has got to be one of the funniest, but most realistic thing anyone's ever written about Jesus. I mean, you know He must have gas at some point in His life. And the Apostles farting!

I think you should make bumper stickers with the phrase "Jesus belched".

--------------------
catagenesis [evol]-evolution leading to decadence and decreased vigor.

Posts: 480 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I think she's the only one who knows. Every hit on google for "rubber hits the bat" is about that line in the article.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Finite Fourier Alchemy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Finite Fourier Alchemy   E-mail Finite Fourier Alchemy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
quote:

- snopes

It's in Matthew, actually.

quote:
Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law — a man's enemies will be the members of his own household.

Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

Matthew 10:24-39

--------------------
Thinking about New England / missing old Japan

Posts: 2603 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Finite Fourier Alchemy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Finite Fourier Alchemy   E-mail Finite Fourier Alchemy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenn:
quote:

I think she's the only one who knows. Every hit on google for "rubber hits the bat" is about that line in the article.
My only guess is that she thinks a baseball is made out of rubber.

--------------------
Thinking about New England / missing old Japan

Posts: 2603 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Donovan
Deck the Malls

Icon 210 posted      Profile for Donovan   E-mail Donovan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
quote:

Excellent! [Big Grin]
I certainly hope you did that in the proper Montgomery Burns voice there...

--------------------
Illius me paenitet, dux (Latin for fun and business)

"It's like trying to hawk pork chops at a kosher PETA banquet." - Esprise Me

Posts: 429 | From: Alabama | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 05 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Who in the world comes up with this stuff?
The Bible says I can be an obnoxious SOB? Ooookaay. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a joke, right?

Please say this is a joke....

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Izzy Quigley
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 210 posted      Profile for Izzy Quigley   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DawnStorm:
Who in the world comes up with this stuff?
The Bible says I can be an obnoxious SOB? Ooookaay. [Roll Eyes]

No, you're a woman. I think the chaps quoted in this article would agree that only men get to be obnoxious SOBs. (Except that they'd call it being a "Manly Christian" or something equally ridiculous. And I'm with you on the [Roll Eyes] .)

--------------------
A Viennese fellow is walking along the Karntner Strasse and notices a banana peel lying in his path. "Alas," he sighs, "now I must slip and fall down!"

Posts: 506 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tyrone Slothrop
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyrone Slothrop   E-mail Tyrone Slothrop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Reminds me of David Cross's bit on the Promise Keepers talking about the son who got an earring.

"If you're that worried about your dad going all f*cking right-wing, Christian, nutty, beating the shit out of your family nutty thing then f*cking take it [the earring] out!"

Yay! Macho Christian men (do they come with free meth?)! Down penis, down!

--------------------
"The universe works on a math equation that never even ever really even ends in the end"

Posts: 32 | From: Colorado | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mouse

Icon 505 posted      Profile for Mouse   E-mail Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Finite Fourier Alchemy:
quote:
Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law — a man's enemies will be the members of his own household.

Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

Matthew 10:24-39
Maybe it's my womanly weak hormones that keep my from properly interpreting these verses but I fail to see how this section justifies him ditching his wife for a camping trip.

Of course these people seem to believe that being a Christian gives you the right to be a complete and total douchebag.

--------------------
"You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff." Coop from MegasXLR

"I distrust who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -- Susan B. Anthony

Posts: 2246 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A workshop called "Training the Penis" encourages men to talk openly about temptation and bond with guys who share their struggles.
So that's what Ted Haggard was doing. Training his penis to bond with guys who shared his struggle. Ahhhh, now I understand.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages