snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » Ouch! My Bag Is Killing Me

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ouch! My Bag Is Killing Me
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 108 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In the last few years, bags have become ever more voluminous, and as women have fallen sway to their chunky charms, they have filled them up with necessities. These days many women are as burdened as mail carriers.

As a result, reports of shoulder soreness and stiff necks are on the rise and doctors, massage therapists and chiropractors are tailoring treatments for the bag-obsessed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/07/fashion/07ouch.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
In the last few years, bags have become ever more voluminous, and as women have fallen sway to their chunky charms, they have filled them up with necessities. These days many women are as burdened as mail carriers.

As a result, reports of shoulder soreness and stiff necks are on the rise and doctors, massage therapists and chiropractors are tailoring treatments for the bag-obsessed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/07/fashion/07ouch.html

All I could think of when I saw this was the other meaning of bags in realtion to females (the meaning that is utilized in "Bag Balm" ointment), and I was going to say that, yes, as they get larger they do hurt.

For these folk? I have one word: backpack.

So much better.

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sometimes I think I'm the only woman who doesn't carry a purse. I need nothing else but my wallet and keys. And they go in my pockets.

But I have seen the opposite to be true - I thought it was fashionable to carry around the smallest purse possible. I've often wondered why women carry around a purse that obviously can't hold a lot of stuff. Surely the contents of that small purse could fit in your pockets? (If your dress doesn't have 'em, make 'em! [Wink] )

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, maybe I've just got a sick and twisted little mind, but that topic gave me TOTALLY the wrong idea....

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
black roses 19
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for black roses 19   E-mail black roses 19   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The reason I carry around a very small purse is for the simple fact that if I DID carry around a larger one, it would become nothing but a portable trash can. My current purse fits my wallet (which is way too long for my pocket, but barely small enough to fit in the purse), my cell phone if I"m wearing a skirt (it's normally in my pocket) and my freeze-lock stuff that I use when the locks on my car freeze.

I have to clean my purse out once a week and it's still usually completely filled with receipts and random other clutter.

ETA:
quote:
Okay, maybe I've just got a sick and twisted little mind, but that topic gave me TOTALLY the wrong idea....
PI, I was thinking of 3 seperate bags and wondering which it could be.

Yes, I thought of that one, too. [Wink]

--------------------
"I find them to be in contradiction of the basic principles of YOUR MOM!!!" -We've Got Mail

Posts: 1361 | From: Muncie, IN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
amywatts
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amywatts   E-mail amywatts   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother, who is now 76, had immense shoulder and elbow pain.

The doctor diagnosed it as "Dooney and Burke Syndrome". It took my Mother a minute or two and a look at her purse to realize what this man was saying.

She had to go through physical therapy for a torn rotator cuff. She was laughing that major athletes and old ladies with nice handbags have that ailment.

This was years ago - right before her famous "I thought I saw a snake in my sewing basket so I fell back and severed my Achilles Tendon". Only later did she reveal to me the TRUE story: She thought it was a baby dinosaur. It was a split second reaction and yes, she's sane.

She said (VERY TONGUE IN CHEEK) that the baby snake incident was God's punishment for vanity - the morning of the incident she was standing at the mirror thinking what gorgeous legs she had for an old lady.

Posts: 21 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo.:

So much better.

I have five words for 'em: Stop carrying so much junk.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
amywatts

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amywatts   E-mail amywatts   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I carry enough stuff with me that I would be a great contestant on that game..."Let's make a Deal", I think...where they ask if you have a certain item in your bag.

I usually do.

I'm known at my children's school as the "go to" person. I carry a medicine bag with medicines that I can't even take (Advil, Aleve, etc, when I can only take Tylenol).

And it's not beauty stuff, either. I have one lipstick in there. I think I carry a small office with me.

And with three kids, there's enough there to keep them occupied, fed and watered (LOL).

Posts: 21 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
Sometimes I think I'm the only woman who doesn't carry a purse. I need nothing else but my wallet and keys. And they go in my pockets.

But I have seen the opposite to be true - I thought it was fashionable to carry around the smallest purse possible. I've often wondered why women carry around a purse that obviously can't hold a lot of stuff. Surely the contents of that small purse could fit in your pockets? (If your dress doesn't have 'em, make 'em! [Wink] )

I carry my wallet (which doesn't fit in my pocket), checkbook, cell phone, medication, keys and lady products. I carry a medium sized purse. When I switch to a party purse, then I have to put my medication in a pillbox, only carry my ID, a few bucks, my cellphone and one or two keys.

When I travel I carry a messenger bag so I can carry a water bottle, umbrella, and maybe a sandwich along with the rest of my stuff. Depending on what kind of travel I might also stick a small knitting project or a book in there too. Plus if I buy something small I can stick in my bag.

I think part of the problem for the women in the article is that they have high status jobs and they can't really carry a backpack because it doesn't fit with the style requirements of their jobs. They could carry a nice purse and a nice briefcase and a small satchel for their gym clothes and wrestle with three bags or they can carry a very fashionable carry all.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lizbeth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lizbeth     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Reading this article inspired me to dump out my purse, which is about laptop-sized. I've got an assortment of pens and pencils, a sharpie marker, a notebook and book for class, cough drops, wallet, keys, altoid tin with bandaids and asprin, assorted makeup and hygiene type stuff, and a water bottle.

Usually I have flip-flops, sunglasses, iPod, a cell phone, a mini umbrealla, and a bottle of contact solution in there too.

Admittedly, I'm in college (which explains the book/notebook) and I spend a lot of nights at my friend's (which explains the contact solution and shoes). But I usually have stuff that even I know I don't need- I'll put a finished disposable camera in there to 'drop it off' and forget about it for weeks.

I think part of it (for most of the women I know) is just wanting to be prepared for every situation. It never fails that the day I don't bring a bandaid, or an umbrella, I'll trip in the hallway and it'll start to pour rain. There's also (at least at my school) a concern about leaving electronics, like iPods, cameras, and phones, anywhere.

Posts: 12 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My first thought when I saw the thread title was the backpacks I see people carrying around now. I am so glad I don't take public transit very often anymore as I was heartily sick of being hit in the face or shoulder with someone's swinging bag of bricks [Mad] . I don't know what today's students are expected to carry around that we didn't in :dons old lady hat: my day, but it seems as if they carry the entire contents of their desk & locker back and forth everyday.

My purse is positively empty compared to them!

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archie2K
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 22 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo.:

So much better.

This might be the first and only time I say this [ [Wink] ], but, I agree totally. Backpacks are briliant for everything. You can stick a coat or jumper in there if it gets too warm, can carry any shopping you've done without cutting your hands on badly designed plastic bags, and they are more comfortable than anything else to cary around, which is good for me given a bad back. I'll never understand those one-strapped bags. They are impractical and painful on the back and shoulders.

@Christie: On a busy day I'll have three folders (A4, full of paper), a clipboard, a 400-page A4 book, two 200-page A5 books, a pencil case, food, 2 litres of water and a book for general reading. Also gloves, hat, scarf, rain poncho, string, craft knife, drum sticks, percussion pad and other assorted necessary junk. All told takes up a 33l bag and weighs about 6kg.

--------------------
Vox populi vox canem

Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages