snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » Boys Mow Lawns, Girls Do Dishes: Are Parents Perpetuating the Chore Wars? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Boys Mow Lawns, Girls Do Dishes: Are Parents Perpetuating the Chore Wars?
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I have allowed Mr Embra to become slovenly. THe way he tells it he practically ran his family's house from the time he was a foetus... (his mum tells it differently, unsurprisingly, but I know he was brung up to do his share!).

When we first lived together we operated a fairly regular turnabout system for cooking/washing up. We also didn't have a washing machine, so we went to the laundrette together. We would usually do a "big cleanup" together on a Saturday.

NOw, however, I tend to load the washing machine and dishwasher (eeh, the luxury!), and hang out the washing. If a meal's to be made, I usually make it (although we seem to be grazing on ready meals a lot at the moment). I take care of the bins and making sure the recycling is separated properly. I also clean the toilet (gack!).

Mr Embra probably does the vacuuming a little more often than me, but we are still slobs in that department anyway. He also has a good line in "putting things away" if we have guests coming (i.e. hiding any loose paperwork and bills in the nearest cupboard).

I am thinking that the arrival of wee Asbo is going to require some kind of SYSTEM in our house! At the moment we both work full time, but I suppose that if I'm off on maternity leave I will continue to do the chores - that's fiar. Perhaps I should ask for some help when I'm really pregnant though...

ETA JAcky Fleming seems to know what I'm on about [Wink]

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Michigan Girl
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michigan Girl     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I got my own washer/dryer when I lived in NJ 4 years ago, I taught my son (who was 8 at the time) to do laundry and he would do his and his sisters (who was 6). They would each hang up their own clothes. He usually takes out the trash and takes the trashcan to the street on trash day. She is better at doing the dishes and he is better at sweeping/mopping, so they do those on a semi-regular basis.

He is 12 now and is pretty good at keeping his room clean. In fact he can be almost OCD at it sometimes. My dd isn't good at putting things back where they go. In fact her pjs are on the floor in the bathroom as we speak, grrr.

I read a book and saw a woman on Oprah who has a system with allowance tied to chores. If you don't do ALL your chores, you get no allowance for the week. I need to get regular chores for my kids, and when I can afford an allowance, I may do that.

Growing up it was my dad and my sister and I. My sister and I usually did the dishes and my dad cooked. My sister would mow the lawn and do outside stuff but I was never asked to.

--------------------
~ Yep, I'm in Michigan ~ My blog http://catsrule2k.blogspot.com/
I am not willing to give up my constitutional freedoms just because I have nothing to hide

Posts: 142 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages