snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » Gas prices 30 days after the election (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Gas prices 30 days after the election
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We all noticed and many of us discussed the drop in gas prices which started a few months before the election. Here we are, 30 days later. Where are your gas prices?

Around here, prices were at their lowest the week before the election. Immediately after the election, if not election day, they started to rise. I paid $2.05 the weekend before the elections. Prices at the same station are $2.29 today. In fact, I don't believe I have ever seen so much unity in prices throughout the county and across brands. That's a rise of 8/10th of a cent a day.

I, for one, am shocked. Shocked, I tell you.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's about $2.29 for unleaded on my side of town, but everywhere else in town it's $2.35 or $2.40. Prices at my nearest station were around $2.19 before Thanksgiving - then Thanksgiving morning, they went up to $2.29 and stayed there.

One Saturday morning a few weeks back, two stations on this side of town had gas priced at $1.99 and $1.95, respectively. Later that afternoon they upped it back to the $2.19 mark. But the section where I live seems to have lower gas prices than everywhere else nearby.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vfwchick
Deck the Malls with Boughs of Money

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vfwchick     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Our prices are right in,line with yours, Sara. 2.29 today, who knows tomorrow?

--------------------
God bless our Troops!
If you can't stand behind our troops, please, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 380 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it has more to do with the Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday driving seasons than with the elections. Prices magically went up just in time for Turkey Day, and instead of going down and then up again for Christmas, they're just staying up.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't notice any price jump at Thanksgiving, just another increase to go along with all the others that had happened throughout November. Around here, as I said, prices started going up either election day or the day after.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AdmiralDinty
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AdmiralDinty   E-mail AdmiralDinty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just paid $2.29 myself. I would have guessed that the price jump would be caused by the greater use of home heating fuels.

But, I'm pretty jaded myself, so I'll blame it on politicians too.

--------------------
"I wanna bite the hand that feeds me. I wanna bite that hand so badly. I wanna make them wish they'd never seen me." - Elvis Costello

Posts: 2291 | From: The Banks of the Merrimack, MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ghijkmnop
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghijkmnop   Author's Homepage   E-mail ghijkmnop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Keep in mind that OPEC has cut production three times in the last month in order to keep crude at around $60/barrel

--------------------
http://www.smokedsalmonband.com/forum

Posts: 41 | From: Augusta, Maine | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Also keep in mind that the price in Melbourne today equates to $US3.58 / gallon. Stop whining.

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms. Kringle
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Kringle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
$2.25/gallon here in So. California.

Not horrible. It was worse this summer.

--------------------
Beware corporate zombies! They will purchase your brain on E-Bay!

Posts: 2310 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Damian:
Also keep in mind that the price in Melbourne today equates to $US3.58 / gallon. Stop whining.

That's totally irrelevant and I'm not whining. The issue isn't the price but the change in price and the timing surrounding the prices hitting their lowest point.

--------------------

El Camino
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for El Camino   E-mail El Camino   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect it is a mere coincidence. Gas prices always rise as the cold winter months arrive, increasing the demand for fuel to heat homes.
Posts: 1048 | From: Brunswick, Maine | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Meh. A whinging pom advises unleaded is the equivalent of $6.41 per US gallon here.

T'would look worse if the dollar wasn't so weak against sterling at the moment.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Thats just cause of all the gas your gravity generators use trying to keep you all from falling off the planet...

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
keokuk
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keokuk     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It also conveniently coincides with dropping temperatures and increased travel around the holidays.

That said, I have no idea what gas prices are around here. I haven't had a car since before Katrina.

Posts: 345 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sara Claus at home:
I didn't notice any price jump at Thanksgiving, just another increase to go along with all the others that had happened throughout November. Around here, as I said, prices started going up either election day or the day after.

http://www.durhamgasprices.com/retail_price_chart.aspx

Here are the prices for Durham. A nice spike at the beginning of the pre-holiday weekend (11/24), as well as a dandy (and persistent) one right after Thanksgiving.

Like I said, not surprising. It jibes with a similar increase last November. If precedent holds, they'll drop again around the beginning of March.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pixiechic
Here We Come A-Mall Crawling

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixiechic   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pixiechic   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The cheapest gas around here is $2.29/gallon but that is only at one station. Most places it's $2.37/gallon. I'm just thankful it's under $3.00/gallon.

Pixiechic

--------------------
Pixiechic's MySpace page
Our Homepage

Posts: 381 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

That's totally irrelevant and I'm not whining. The issue isn't the price but the change in price and the timing surrounding the prices hitting their lowest point.
It is relevant. World oil prices rise and fall due to market forces. Elections in America and other large countries have an effect on the world economy, so it's hardly surprising that oil prices are effected. Or are you suggesting that GWB deliberately held the price of oil down until after the election?

Prices here go up and down by anything up to 20c per litre in a week. That's 60c per gallon in your money. And that's a normal week. Over Christmas it will rise even further. [Eek!]

BTW - our gravity generators are solar powered.

--------------------

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

No, the price of gas in Melbourne isn't relevant. If you want to discuss the change in the price of gas in Melbourne in the period I am attempting to discuss, jump in.

Of course I'm not suggesting that Bush held the price of oil down. He doesn't have that power. However, many of us assume that the unnamed people (or their replacements) who met with Dick Cheney (who fought so hard to keep their names a secret) to develop the country's oil policies are the same people who have the power to control oil prices in this country.

--------------------

mags
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mags     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, we got gas for $2.06 here today. It is the cheapest I've seen it for some time. Last we bought (probably a couple weeks ago) it seems to have been around $2.20.

If unnamed people did have the ability to keep gas prices down, and Dick Cheney was involved, I'm sure he'd just keep the prices down till 2008, it would make him a shoo-in for president. You know, if he wanted that position.

Posts: 550 | From: Springboro, OH | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian

Sara, your Americentric anti-GWB bias is showing. You seem to be looking for conspiracies that don't exist. This will hopefully help you understand how world oil prices work.

BTW - the price of oil in America is directly responsible for the price in most parts of the world, seeing that y'all use so much. Your winter creates such a huge demand that it drives up the price everywhere.

--------------------

Sara at home

quote:
Sara, your Americentric anti-GWB bias is showing. You seem to be looking for conspiracies that don't exist. This will hopefully help you understand how world oil prices work.

What?? Horrors!!! My anti-Bush bias is showing!!!

So is the bright red sweater I'm wearing. It's no secret I think these people running our government are the most corrupt money hungry lying sons of bitches ever to hold the White House in my lifetime. What's your point?

Call me Americentric if you wish but the topic I posted about is still the fact that where I live gas prices were at their lowest the weekend before Tuesday, November 7th, our last election, and started to rise immediately after. I am still curious if anyone else noticed the same thing. While there is a traditional flucuation of prices in November, this year the lowest point and the rise came a number of weeks earlier than usual, coincidently at the very same time as our election.

Why are you even suggesting that the people who secretly helped write our failed but for them profitable energy program might not have an interest in trying to keep the control of our government in the hands of those who allowed them to help write the policies which affect them and their profits? Are you that naive that you can't even entertain the idea and are willing to dismiss it out-of-hand without even finding out it's a local or national pattern that I observed?

--------------------

Damian

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Damian:
[qb]...the fact that where I live gas prices were at their lowest the weekend before Tuesday, November 7th, our last election, and started to rise immediately after.

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc ?

quote:
Are you that naive that you can't even entertain the idea and are willing to dismiss it out-of-hand without even finding out it's a local or national pattern that I observed?
I am not so naive that I did not notice that oil prices world wide have fallen quite considerably over the past 12 months. As you pointed out, prices in America rise in November, with the onset of colder weather. The elections were held in.....wait for it.....November. Shock, horror and post hoc, ergo propter hoc.

--------------------

Echinodermata Q. Taft
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Locally, the cheapest I've seen for the past couple of weeks is about $2.37. Down somewhat from the peak last summer, but higher than before the election. Fairly steady for the past couple of weeks.

To be fair, though, I believe they started rising again a week or so before the election.

--------------------
http://eqtaft.blogspot.com

Hope for the future! http://www.runobama.com

Posts: 3218 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archie2K
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Prices here have fallen from around 94.9/litre to about 83.9/litre. They have stabilised or perhaps gone up a penny in the past month, I presume due to OPEC cutting production (why?!!).

Site explaining petrol prices, with the most important thing to note being that US fuel is very lightly taxed. Any change in crude oil prices will go straight to the pumps. Other countries with higher levels of taxation have more leverage. When I was there I recall seeing that gas prices had risen something like 90% since 2002. No economy can sustain such a rise in the price of a basic raw material. Here I would guess the price rise was about 30% during the same period. Having very light taxation actually means that Bush and co have less control over gas prices than the Treasury do here.

All thanks to the fuel tax escalator, nice friendly green legislation, introduced by the evil Conservatives in 1993. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Vox populi vox canem

Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

quote:
quote:
quote:
...the fact that where I live gas prices were at their lowest the weekend before Tuesday, November 7th, our last election, and started to rise immediately after.

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc ?

I'm incredibly impressed. **yawn** But I took Latin well over 40 years ago, I'm dyslexic and have enough trouble with English. You cleverness is lost on me.

quote:
Are you that naive that you can't even entertain the idea and are willing to dismiss it out-of-hand without even finding out it's a local or national pattern that I observed?
I am not so naive that I did not notice that oil prices world wide have fallen quite considerably over the past 12 months. As you pointed out, prices in America rise in November, with the onset of colder weather. The elections were held in.....wait for it.....November. Shock, horror and post hoc, ergo propter hoc.

And you continue to disregard my purpose for the thread was to ask other Americans if the same pattern -- lowest pices exactly on election day -- was a local phenomenon or if it occurred where they live. Why are you taking hits on me for it?

--------------------

keokuk
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keokuk     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm incredibly impressed. **yawn** But I took Latin well over 40 years ago, I'm dyslexic and have enough trouble with English. You cleverness is lost on me.

It's a type of logical fallacy. It roughly translates to "After this, therefore because of this." Fancy way of saying that correlation and causation are not one in the same.
Posts: 345 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

quote:
Originally posted by keokuk:
quote:

It's a type of logical fallacy. It roughly translates to "After this, therefore because of this." Fancy way of saying that correlation and causation are not one in the same.
LOL How ironic. I'm the one usually pointing out that correlation and causation are not the same. Of course, damian has completely missed the point that though I am obviously trying to find information to support my biased belief that the administration's friends who control the oil industry skewed prices this year to provide whatever help they could in the elections, I have opened it to discussion, not simply asserted (though sarcastically implied) that's what happened.

He has dismissed what I have put forth simply by calling me Americentric and a Bush Hater. Talk about correlation not being causation...

--------------------

Wintermute
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wintermute     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sara, all this proves is that the democrats are already screwing up the economy. The problem is you are seeing what you want, and I am pointing out the obvious truth [Smile]
Posts: 4580 | From: Walnut Creek, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
$2.399 to $2.479 per gallon here, depending on where you look. I did get it for $2.299 last week though, just barely in early morning as the station was preparing to change it for the day and I just beat their deadline.

I don't think any politicians or businesses have the means to time price changes with an election, or to affect prices on a particular schedule, though. There are two many variables that take too long to trend.

Bonus question, what the heck happened with Diesel? It used to be the cheap option!

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archie2K

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Diesel is more expensive here too. I figured it was a supply and demand thing. People bought more diesel cars and so the demand went up and hence the price.

--------------------
Vox populi vox canem

Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Archie2K:

All thanks to the fuel tax escalator, nice friendly green legislation, introduced by the evil Conservatives in 1993. [Big Grin]

Which is no longer in force. I believe it was "suspended" after the fuel protests (in 2002?). Although Gordon Brown did increase duty yesterday.

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archie2K

As usual. The Conservative start a good thing and Labour ruins it.

The fuel tax escalator was abandoned in 2000 after the blockades, but of courseother events have pushed prices up further since then.

--------------------
Vox populi vox canem

Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sara, you can investigate trends locally and nationwide at www.gasbuddy.com

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

quote:
Originally posted by Wintermute:
Sara, all this proves is that the democrats are already screwing up the economy. The problem is you are seeing what you want, and I am pointing out the obvious truth [Smile]

What? I can't read those big signs at the gas stations? Or I just lie? Wanna see my credit card slips?

Man, some of you are so in denial that you can't even deal with a question about whether or not gas prices changed in a month. Can the only explanation for my asking the question be my Bush Hating bias and Americentrism even though those things have nothing to do with my question? Truth is, I hate the oil companies. If the prices were manipulated, it would be the oil companis that did it, not Bush & Co.

**sheesh** If you guys would get out of the defense mode and read the posts you would discover that my experiencs seems to be somewhat unique in the exact timing.

--------------------

El Camino
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for El Camino   E-mail El Camino   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Legitimate question: Why do you hate the oil companies?

quote:
Originally posted by Sara at Home:
If you guys would get out of the defense mode and read the posts you would discover that my experiencs seems to be somewhat unique in the exact timing.

Actually, it seems pretty close, according to gasbuddy.com, it seems that the nationwide average bottomed out at around November 5th. You can check it out here.
Posts: 1048 | From: Brunswick, Maine | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages