snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » Blair sacrifices pensioners, to entertain feral hoodies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blair sacrifices pensioners, to entertain feral hoodies
Zachary Fizz
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 202 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Shockingly, the stories match the heading this time:
Hideous EMO Goth children love getting ASBO'd, but at a price

quote:
"While Asbos may have their place, it is clear that they are not nearly as effective as ministers claim."

Recent research by the Youth Justice Board found similar results and the study said that Asbos had become a "badge of honour" among young people.

Bad enough, but here's the cost:

quote:
three of the most common interventions used to stop anti-social behaviour: warning letters from the police, costing £63 to administer; acceptable behaviour contracts (ABCs); and Asbos, which cost more than £3,000.

The NAO also said the cost of responding to reports of anti-social behaviour in England and Wales was about £3.4bn per year.

Meanwhile, the few remaining old folk who haven't actually been torn limb from limb by these depraved and doubtless reefer-crazed teens, face homelessness:

Old folk must be thrown into gutter, say laughing NHS managers

quote:
The changes mean that most of those now supported by the state will have to pay their own fees in future, council chiefs warn.

Many elderly people are likely to be forced to sell their homes to meet costs of up to £600 a week.

Thank goodness Mr Blair and Mr Brown still have enough in the kitty to keep soldiers in Iraq, though, eh?
Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zachary Fizz:
Old folk must be thrown into gutter, say laughing NHS managers

quote:
The changes mean that most of those now supported by the state will have to pay their own fees in future, council chiefs warn.

Many elderly people are likely to be forced to sell their homes to meet costs of up to £600 a week.

Thank goodness Mr Blair and Mr Brown still have enough in the kitty to keep soldiers in Iraq, though, eh?
I love the way the Daily Mail are simultaneously complaining about Council Tax bills rising to cover the increased cost of long-term care, and elderly people who fail means-testing being denied free long-term care.

I can see them legitimately complaining about one or other of those things, but both seems rather hypocritical, no?

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I take no responsibility for the Daily Mail, Dara. I only linked to it to please Embra, and Chloe.

I suppose the Daily Mail might be reasonable in wondering why, with a tax burden already exceeding that of Germany, the UK cannot find money for healthcare. Perhaps they feel that the NHS has been mismanaged over the last nine years, and that money has been squandered?

Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I'm only disappointed (and surprised) that "Old folk must be thrown into the gutter..." turned out not to be the Mail's own choice of headline.

quote:
Perhaps they feel that the NHS has been mismanaged over the last nine years, and that money has been squandered?
I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, that anyone could rech such a conclusion!

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archie2K
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Daily Mail comes into my house most days. My understanding is as follows. It is all Labour's fault for being simultaneously too soft on crime and too tough on crime, for allowing us to be flooded with migrants and for sending too many migrants back to unsafe countries, for spending not enough and too much on the public services. I tell you, you couldn't make it up.

Tories to save universe.

However, the crossword isn't too bad.

--------------------
Vox populi vox canem

Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Archie2K:
However, the crossword isn't too bad.

I only read it for the crossword.

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages