snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » Paltrow: "British much more intelligent and civilized than the Americans" (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Paltrow: "British much more intelligent and civilized than the Americans"
Grand Illusion
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grand Illusion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Grand Illusion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey is a Moorish Idol:
What makes me laugh is that the woman that would name her child a fruit that is widely portrayed as being the fruit of sin that Adam and Eve ate is saying this.

It is not known what kind of fruit that Adam and Eve were tempted with. However, a woman who would name a child after any fruit has IMHO questionable judgement. Actually, anyone who would consider Madonna to be a soulamte has questionable judgement.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?" - The Brain

Posts: 587 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A hollow is a "small valley between mountains."

quote:
hol·ler 2 (hŏl'ər) Pronunciation Key
adj. , v. & n. Chiefly Upper Southern U.S.
Variant of hollow.

One feature of Upper Southern English and specifically of Appalachian English is its pronunciation of the final unstressed syllable in words such as hollow, window, and potato as (ər). Holler, winder, and tater are merely variant pronunciations reflected in spelling. As a noun, holler has the specific meaning in the Appalachians of "a small valley between mountains": They live up in the holler underneath Big Bald Mountain.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/holler

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bthyb:
Thanks, "I'll be buggered" is indeed what I meant.

[Eek!] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hello, I love you - won't you tell me your name?
Hello! I'm good for nothing - will you love me just the same?

Greetings from the dark side...

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm:
A hollow is a "small valley between mountains."

quote:
hol·ler 2 (hŏl'ər) Pronunciation Key
adj. , v. & n. Chiefly Upper Southern U.S.
Variant of hollow.

One feature of Upper Southern English and specifically of Appalachian English is its pronunciation of the final unstressed syllable in words such as hollow, window, and potato as (ər). Holler, winder, and tater are merely variant pronunciations reflected in spelling. As a noun, holler has the specific meaning in the Appalachians of "a small valley between mountains": They live up in the holler underneath Big Bald Mountain.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/holler
Birdie with a yaller bill
Hopped upon my winder sill,
Blinked his shiny eye and said,
"Ain't you shamed, you sleepy head?"

I will only add that in my neck of the woods, people commonly refer to a place "down in the holler", never just "in the holler" or "over in the holler." I don't know if the comic strip is still extant, but "Snuffy Smith" used to reside in the little Ozark town of Hootin' Holler.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Brad. I couldn't remember where the town "Hootin' Holler" was. I was thinking maybe it was near Bugtussle.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silkenreindeer
Wassaleing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silkenreindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bool. Sheet.

Having lived in both the US and the UK, the people I encounter on a daily basis are certainly no more civilized, polite and intelligent than those in America.

Posts: 494 | From: Epping, Essex, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
erinker74
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erinker74   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bthyb:
quote:
Originally posted by Flowy Chloe:
In my experience, a certain proportion of Americans are unable to detect a difference between the Queen's accent, and that of Sid Vicious. At least, if their attempts at a British accent are anything to go by.

I can hear the difference, but bugger all if I can speak the difference. My British accent attempts sound like bad imitations of my British friend, who's middle class from London area (which is probably not enough information), and Steve Jones who has a radio show here. Actually, I don't really try the Steve Jones, unless he's said something funny.

Please excuse my use of bugger all if I did so incorrectly. [Big Grin]

I'm right with you, bthyb. All my Brit accent details come from The Office and Monty Python...and I do them poorly, so it heightens the rubbish factor! I did have someone ask if I was a British ex-pat once because I say "yeah?" all the time. I wasn't really aware that was a British linguistical trait. I think it was a polite way of telling me I was annoying. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I bet a funny thing about driving a car off a cliff is, while you're in midair,
you still hit those brakes. Hey, better try the emergency brake." -Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

Posts: 245 | From: Gladstone, MO | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silken Ray:
Bool. Sheet.

Having lived in both the US and the UK, the people I encounter on a daily basis are certainly no more civilized, polite and intelligent than those in America.

You shouldn't use the London picnic as representative. Just because the rest of them let the side down, it doesn't mean that the average intelligence and level of civilization in the UK isn't better than that...
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Filet o' Spamamander:
-Sheepish expression- If, for example, Sean Connery called me on the phone I wouldn't need him to sound intelligent... he could read me the names from the phone book and... well, I won't go there. [Big Grin]

Replace Sean Connery with, wait for it, Liam Neeson, and I totally agree.

I think it would be fun to listen to Dara talk. It is certainly fun to read what he says.

And Chloe has a very charming accent as well.

ETA: I also wish to inform the aforementioned Dara that his PM box is full. How can your admiring fans communicate with things in that state?

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JFB
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JFB   E-mail JFB   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But really, it all boils down to this: Do people in Britain prefer dining with Gwyneth Paltrow?
Posts: 472 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
quote:
Bool. Sheet.

You shouldn't use the London picnic as representative. Just because the rest of them let the side down, it doesn't mean that the average intelligence and level of civilization in the UK isn't better than that...
If you exclude the below average, then everyone in the US is above average. [Razz]

quote:
1. Most Americans have never heard of deportment, much less know how to execute it properly.
Thats because they're called manners here, instead. And Gwyneth lacks them. Even before these comments, I've never gotten the impression that she's the best person to be evaluating the intelligence of others, either.
Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseGirl:
I think it would be fun to listen to Dara talk.

If you ever meet him, you will certainly get that opportunity.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseGirl:
quote:
Originally posted by Filet o' Spamamander:
-Sheepish expression- If, for example, Sean Connery called me on the phone I wouldn't need him to sound intelligent... he could read me the names from the phone book and... well, I won't go there. [Big Grin]

Replace Sean Connery with, wait for it, Liam Neeson, and I totally agree.

I think it would be fun to listen to Dara talk. It is certainly fun to read what he says.

And Chloe has a very charming accent as well.

ETA: I also wish to inform the aforementioned Dara that his PM box is full. How can your admiring fans communicate with things in that state?

The PM Box is dealt with, my dear. But if you want to get an idea of how I speak, just imagine Father Dougal going on about the IRA and the oppression of the Brits all the time.

Essentially the same, so it is.

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archie2K

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't do any British accents either. My Irish winds up soudning Welsh and my Welsh Swedish or something.

I managed to just about cultivate a New Jersey accent after a week there. Enough so that people wouldn't instantly laugh at me like we did at their attempts at British accents.

For added fun, get someone to pronounce the word "Loughborough".

I can absolutely vouch that British people are not smarter or better conversationists than those in the US. The median is set roughly the same. British might be slightly better at foreign languages, but we're both still terrible. Indeed I have a theory. Your view of Brits comes from the media which always portrays us as rich, aristocratic snobs (see list of US TV shows here). Conversely, we get all your films, music and TV which leads us to think of Americans as much from Cops as anything else. Hence, even though I sound like a middle class kid desperately trying not to sound middle class, I apparantly sound "all sophisticated" to a US ear. [Confused]

Then again, Dylan Moran claimed it was simple. American stupid people sound so much more stupid than stupid people from other countries. Take what you will.

--------------------
Vox populi vox canem

Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grand Illusion:
It is not known what kind of fruit that Adam and Eve were tempted with.

Mark Twain has asserted that it was not a watermelon.
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Finding Rebochan:
quote:
I love the English lifestyle, it's not as capitalistic as America. People don't talk about work and money, they talk about interesting things at dinner.
Yea, because nobody in England has a job or anything. Because they're too busy spending all day coming up with things to say to Gwyneth Paltrow.

To be fair though don't you imagine that most strangers who are about to dine with a "famous person" would be trying to come up with things to say? If she's noticed a difference in conversation on either side of the Atlantic I would expect she's taken that into consideration.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grand Illusion:
However, a woman who would name a child after any fruit has IMHO questionable judgement.

Questionable taste, perhaps. "Questionable jdugment" seems like a bit of a reach.

But then, I don't see what the big deal is; I've known at least one woman named Cherry (pronounced like the fruit), and many women named after flowers, plants or gemstones (Fern, Iris, Rose, Leafy, Pearl, Beryl).

quote:
Actually, anyone who would consider Madonna to be a soulamte has questionable judgement.
On that, we're in agreement. [Smile]

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archie2K

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My great aunts from one side, all six of them, were named after flowers. May, Ivy and Purple Rose are the only ones I can remember. Bear in mind this was the early 20th Century.

--------------------
Vox populi vox canem

Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James G.
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James G.   Author's Homepage   E-mail James G.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm, my earlier post disappeared. No idea where its gone, hope its not out in the cold all alone.

Basically it was just me complaining that my accent made my sound like an arrogant conceited prat. It a weird generic 'posh-ish' sounding southern English accent. I'm not too fond of it, although it appears to have become slightly less pronounced in recent years. (Although sadly I'm still lacking any hints of 'Scottish' in my accent, partly because so if 50% of Edinburgh)

--------------------
This is a public service announcement. The board is moving. Check Announcements Photos[/URL]

Posts: 1302 | From: Edinburgh, UK (Currently Nr. Swindon, UK) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Billy Biggles
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billy Biggles   Author's Homepage   E-mail Billy Biggles   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile, in the Martin-Paltrow household, the smart talk bids the long winter evenings a fond au revoir.

quote:
Would it really be possible to start Nazi Germany if you'd just been listening to Bob Marley's Exodus back-to-back for the past three weeks and getting stoned? Would the idea of the Holocaust seem so appealing?
So in some sense,I do think melodies can do a lot. It would be interesting to see how the world would be different if Dick Cheney really listened to Radiohead's OK Computer. I think the world would probably improve. That album is nfbsking brilliant. It changed my life, so why wouldn't it change his?
But we're just little people, little creatures, as well. It's not like if a bomb went off we wouldn't be killed.

"One of us ought to be Boswell, writing this all down."

--------------------
Cogito ergo sum, non sum qualis eram. Putting Descartes before the Horace every time.

Posts: 377 | From: East Anglia, UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Freshman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freshman   Author's Homepage   E-mail Freshman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm.. well,I don't per say think one entire nationality is cvilized and intelligent than any other. Every Nation has people who are considered intelligent and people are considered dumb.It depends on the individual.

Anywho, I do love british folks: Saca Baron Cohen, David Bowie, Rik Mayall, Monty python, the list goes on..

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

Posts: 1056 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Simply Madeline
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Simply Madeline     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never said that!
Posts: 763 | From: Chicago | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Archie2K:
I managed to just about cultivate a New Jersey accent after a week there. Enough so that people wouldn't instantly laugh at me like we did at their attempts at British accents.

*raises eyebrows*

You don't use that oh-so-stereotypical accent where you tawk awn da phone, do you? [Wink] 'Cause, you know, we don't awl tawk like dat. [Wink]

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JFB:
But really, it all boils down to this: Do people in Britain prefer dining with Gwyneth Paltrow?

No, but they are too polite to tell her to piss off.

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd love to be able to fake a Cockney accent. As it stands, when I talk it sounds like the words got stoned and began stumbling in to each other in their haste to escape from my mouth.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember seeing Gwyneth hosting SNL. She was speaking with a British accent pretending she was English. Ben Affleck is in the audience and stands up to correct her, saying she was born in LA. She starts arguing with him.

It was pretty funny then, but is funnier now.

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silkenreindeer
Wassaleing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silkenreindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
quote:
Bool. Sheet.

You guys were lovely. I just hope I didn't leave too unfavourable (see, I'm even spelling it Brit-style) an impression of the American people.

I've met some profoundly intelligent British people and some profoundly intelligent American people. I've also met bigoted, rude, vapid dullards on both sides of the Atlantic. The topics of conversation with normal, average, people-you-meet-in-a-pub in my experience are strikingly similar. Men talk primarily about sport, sex, television and drinking. Women talk primarily about clothes, makeup, sex, and drinking.

And I assure you that there's a sizable minority of Brits who likely haven't heard of "deportment" other than as what they want to happen to all the nfbsking asylum seekers.

Posts: 494 | From: Epping, Essex, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
JamesG said:
Although sadly I'm still lacking any hints of 'Scottish' in my accent, partly because so if 50% of Edinburgh

Stick around long enough, get a job, wander out of the university area...

I have to admit that what exists of my Scottish accent developed in Edinburgh (where I only lived 1991 - 1995) and has been lovingly maintained ever since by Mr Embra (you can take the boy out of Livingston etc.) and the makers of Glenmorangie.

I am usually appalled to hear just how posh I sound on my answering machine message at work.

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James G.
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James G.   Author's Homepage   E-mail James G.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet:
quote:
JamesG said:
Although sadly I'm still lacking any hints of 'Scottish' in my accent, partly because so if 50% of Edinburgh

Stick around long enough, get a job, wander out of the university area...
Well I'm going to be here for another three years, and both live and work outside of the university area (My lab is tied to one of the Hospitals) so there is hope for me yet. I'm highly unlikely to stay much longer though, as once my PhD is finished I shall be onto a postdoc (Hopefully) and its customary to move arround.

--------------------
This is a public service announcement. The board is moving. Check Announcements Photos[/URL]

Posts: 1302 | From: Edinburgh, UK (Currently Nr. Swindon, UK) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wild Card
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Wild Card     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Damian:
I remember seeing Gwyneth hosting SNL. She was speaking with a British accent pretending she was English. Ben Affleck is in the audience and stands up to correct her, saying she was born in LA. She starts arguing with him.

Thanks for reminding me! You're right, this definitely enhances the humor.

If anyone's interested, they can find a transcript here.

--------------------
"It's a perfect system...unless it screws up." -Biology Professor

Posts: 495 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TallGeekyGirl
O Read, O Read, The Manual

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TallGeekyGirl   Author's Homepage   E-mail TallGeekyGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
(by the way, can anyone tell me what a "hollow", often pronounced as a "holler", is?).

Sure!

A "haller" is a narrow valley between mountain ridges. They are all over the place here in western Virginia. They are even more prevalent in West Virginia, the south-western "toe" of Virginia, and north-eastern Tennessee.

[Big Grin]

Tall Geeky Virginia Mountain Girl

--------------------
See, if I tell you about it, it won't be a mystery. It'll just be a fact, an ugly, moist fact, squatting on your brain like an octopus. And you don't want an octopus squatting on your brain, do you, son? -- Stan Smith, American Dad

Posts: 980 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
Originally posted by Wild Card:
quote:
Originally posted by Damian:

Thanks for reminding me! You're right, this definitely enhances the humor.

If anyone's interested, they can find a transcript here.

According to then link upthread though, she did not say what was initially reported.

Is this going to end up being a UL on the main board one day I wonder?

--------------------

SpareChange
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SpareChange     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flowy Chloe:
In my experience, a certain proportion of Americans are unable to detect a difference between the Queen's accent, and that of Sid Vicious. At least, if their attempts at a British accent are anything to go by.

I used to be like that. I never considered the fact that England had a range of accents, like the U.S. did. Then I started dating a British ex-patriate, and began to pick up on the subtle differences. We're married now, and he works for a company with a lot of international employees, so he hangs out with many of the other Brits at the company (some are in the U.S. temporarily, and some have moved there). After listening to his friends talk, I began to notice the regional differences.

Usually when people hear my husband speak they will ask if he is from England, but a few times people have asked if he is from Australia (or once, New Zealand). But the funniest was last week when we were grocery shopping. After he paid the clerk handed him the receipt and asked, "So are you from New Jersey?" She did not appear to be joking. The two of us just looked at each other and he said with a smile, "No, London actually."

Posts: 13 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What makes me laugh is that the woman that would name her child a fruit that is widely portrayed as being the fruit of sin that Adam and Eve ate is saying this.

Not getting the connection at all, sorry.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages