snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » W.Va. City's Xmas Scene Has No Jesus

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: W.Va. City's Xmas Scene Has No Jesus
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 82 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Christ is missing from Christmas in this small town. The community's holiday display has a manger with shepherds, a guiding star, camels and a palm tree, but no baby Jesus, Mary or Joseph.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20061201/D8LO97RG0.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that if you are going to decide to put up a natvity scene you might as well have a baby Jesus and Mary and Joseph. It's not like people will take to calling it a "Holiday Barn Party Display."

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Daniceguy
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daniceguy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Jesus, Mary and Joseph! Someone stole all the Nativity figurines again!

--------------------
"Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes!"

"No it isn't."

Posts: 171 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
evilrabbit
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilrabbit   E-mail evilrabbit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MapleLeaf:
I think that if you are going to decide to put up a natvity scene you might as well have a baby Jesus and Mary and Joseph. It's not like people will take to calling it a "Holiday Barn Party Display."

Generally, I agree, but I can also kinda buy the idea that it would be hard to make a baby in a feed trough sufficiently visible...

--------------------
"My sandwich choice is uncertain, until I actually order. It's like Schrodinger's Sandwich."
"Is plutonium involved in this sandwich in any way?"
"Maybe."

Posts: 496 | From: Whitby, ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This seems sort of like they're being obnoxious on purpose. "Look! Look! See how insidious the War on Christmas has become?"

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms. Kringle
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Kringle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Minstrel Nereid:
This seems sort of like they're being obnoxious on purpose. "Look! Look! See how insidious the War on Christmas has become?"

Wouldn't surprise me. My dad still says there's this big huge "War On Christmas" because he heard that greeters at Wal Mart don't say "Merry Christmas". I pointed out to him that he doesn't go to Wal Mart, Mom and I do, and he wouldn't know if they're saying Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy Hannukah, or Happy Kwanzaa.

Dad didn't like that. I pointed out to him that half the time, the greeters around here don't acknowledge your existence if you're coming IN the door, they're more worried about the people going OUT the door. And at that point, they're not saying anything but, "I need to see your receipt."

I also pointed out to him that Mom has never come home with stories about how the greeters don't say "Merry Christmas" to her, in fact, not only do they say Merry Christmas, they'll get interested in what she's shopping for, and did she know that so-and-so was here just a little while ago, and such-and-such just had her baby, blah blah blah.

Yep, Dad still says there's a War On Christmas, even though it's been pointed out to him that a)retailers don't give a crap about Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/Saturnalia, they just want to sell junk, and b)if he wants to celebrate Christmas, there's nothing prohibiting him from doing so.

I just ignore it now.

--------------------
Beware corporate zombies! They will purchase your brain on E-Bay!

Posts: 2310 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 84 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yep, Dad still says there's a War On Christmas
Try asking him what peace terms his side will demand if they win the war.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
quote:
Yep, Dad still says there's a War On Christmas
Try asking him what peace terms his side will demand if they win the war.

- snopes

Seventy-five gallons of eggnog, frankincense, Rudolph, and one other reindeer of Santa's choice.

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Agreed. Is there anyone who honestly doesn't believe the nativity scene is religious in its own right?

"Let's see ... manger ... sheep ... camels ... star ... what, no Jesus? Must be Bob's celebration of his first-born."

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

... Mayor Dick Callaway said it was done for purely technical reasons: "It's not easy to put a light-up representation of a baby in a small manger scene, you know."

I think that's politicospeak for "We've had too many of those damn things stolen by pranksters and vandals."
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
quote:

Agreed. Is there anyone who honestly doesn't believe the nativity scene is religious in its own right?

"Let's see ... manger ... sheep ... camels ... star ... what, no Jesus? Must be Bob's celebration of his first-born."

You mean Jesus' brother, Bob?

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Jesus'-Brother-Bob-lyrics-The-Arrogant-Worms/2206F065EE6C70E948256B260026C11E

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't it a tradition to not put Jesus in the manger scene until Christmas eve?

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buckleupp
Away in a Manager

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Buckleupp   E-mail Buckleupp   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tootsie Plunkette:

Tootsie,

I'm glad you said that. That was my first reaction - maybe they are waiting to put him in on Christmas Eve like we did at my house. If this is true, it's sad and funny how desperate we are to make something politically controversial and to fight over things that might not even exist. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
HA! That's so funny I forgot to laugh...excluding that first Ha. -Stewie Griffin

Posts: 112 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah-- being non-religious my first thought was not of a Christmas Eve tradition but of pranksters and mischief.

On a complete aside, one year they did a live manger scene here in town. Pretty cool to see and pet a live camel. She was very sweet, too-- apparently she even was used as a therapy animal until she got too big to be brought into certain buildings.

Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm reminded of Rita Rudner's story about her family having a Hannukah bush. Her Jewish friends didn't find that odd, but they did ask questions about the nativity scene:

"Who's that?"
"Um. . . Baby Hymie."
"Who are those three guys?"
"His lawyers."

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms. Kringle
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Kringle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tootsie Plunkette:

[sarcasm ON]

But, but, Tootsie, don't you see? If they don't put Baby Jesus in the manger until Christmas Eve, the terrorists win !

[/sarcasm OFF]

Yes, it is a tradition, in Catholic circles, not to put Baby Jesus in the manger until Christmas Eve. After all, according to tradition, that's when He arrived, and putting Him out the day after Thanksgiving, or whenever Christmas decorating is done would be having Him born prematurely!

Kinda like how some people don't put the Wise Men out until Epiphany. They did not arrive the same night the baby did, no, it took them a while to get there!

--------------------
Beware corporate zombies! They will purchase your brain on E-Bay!

Posts: 2310 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tootsie and Mrs. Kringle,

You read my mind. In my family we don't put Baby Jesus out until Christmas Eve, and the wise men come on Epiphany. It just makes sense to us that way. Interestingly enough, this practice really offends my Southern Baptist Grandma for some reason. She told me once that it's "just too Catholic." Well, duh. We are Catholic.

Honestly, some people will never be satisfied. When there isn't a conflict, they'll go cook something up and try to get everyone around them stirred up. These kinds of people need to get a life.

--------------------
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about." --Ray Nagin

Posts: 1325 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just think it's a manger scene from the day before. Mary Joseph just haven't arrived yet.

Beach...maybe they missed a connection and are running late...Life!

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buckleupp
Away in a Manager

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buckleupp   E-mail Buckleupp   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I guess we were wrong; not only is there no Baby Jesus, but there is apparently no Mary or Joseph either, and this decision was motivated by the city's concern for religious sensitivity (I base this on the comments of a few TV pundits and Jay Leno).

--------------------
HA! That's so funny I forgot to laugh...excluding that first Ha. -Stewie Griffin

Posts: 112 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dog Friendly
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dog Friendly   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dog Friendly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My family were Baptists when I was little, and we switched to Episcopalianism in my childhood. We always left the Baby Jebus (and the angel) out of the manger scene until Christmas Eve. On Christmas, we added both of them, and put the Wise Men and their entourage way at the Eastern end of the mantel. Then, we'd move the Wise Men a bit closer each night until they arrived on January 6th.

But before anyone compliments me on the mytho-historical accuracy of our family tradition, I should mention Douglas. You see, among the flock of sheep that accompanied the shepherds, was Douglas, the hippopotamus who thought he was a sheep.

Dog (Bark us all bow wows of folly) Friendly

--------------------
"Nobody ever got stoned and beat up his old lady" -- Spence, snapdragonfly's friend

Posts: 768 | From: North Hollywood, CA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dog Friendly,

Our wise men travel from table top to table top as we get closer to epiphany also! Glad we aren't the ony ones who are silly like that.

Also, at my husband's house when he was a kid, the sheppard and the GI Joes watched by night, and the cow, the sheep, and the donkey were joined by a giraffe and some plastic dinosaurs.

I love Christmas time! [Smile]

--------------------
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about." --Ray Nagin

Posts: 1325 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I grew up CofE and we didn't put any of the Holy Family in until Christmas Eve. So there. [Big Grin]

(Sorry; I'm a bit high on painkillers at the moment. Emergency dentist tomorrow and probably not a moment to soon...)

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why is Jesus added on Christmas Eve? Isn't Christmas itself supposed to be His birthday?

Also, shouldn't the shepherds not be added until Christmas night? They weren't told about the birth until the night after Jesus was born. Luke 2:11 uses the past tense, "Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ[a] the Lord."

So until Christmas Eve, there should just be animals. Then Joseph and Mary and the donkey can show up on Christmas Eve. Jesus comes Christmas Day, then the shepherds that night. And then the shepherds leave to spread the word. Then the Magi arrive. Then the Magi leave by a different route. Then Joseph, Mary, and Jesus leave.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SmallTownKid
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmallTownKid     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[hijack]When I was little I used to play with the figure of our nativity set. I called them the "Jesus guys."[/hijack]

--------------------
"I will take the Ring," he said, "though I do not know the way."

"Doesn't 'Frollo' sound like a delicious hobbit chocolate?"--Amanda F.

Posts: 107 | From: Kansas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I went into the church of St Eustache when I was in Paris last weekend. In one of the alcoves around the perimeter of the church (I expect these have a proper name - they contain separate altars and chapels dedicated to other saints - one had a Keith Haring triptych in it) was what appeared to be a stylised nativity scene. It was made up of three fashion mannequins (faceless, and made in silver and black) dressed in various gold and black metallic draperies. At the front on a cushion was something that looked like an egg.

They're saying Jesus was born from an egg! Like Monkey! Un oeuf is un oeuf!

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VeebleFetzer
We Three Blings

Icon 206 posted      Profile for VeebleFetzer   Author's Homepage   E-mail VeebleFetzer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
Why is Jesus added on Christmas Eve? Isn't Christmas itself supposed to be His birthday?

Also, shouldn't the shepherds not be added until Christmas night? They weren't told about the birth until the night after Jesus was born. Luke 2:11 uses the past tense, "Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ[a] the Lord."

So until Christmas Eve, there should just be animals. Then Joseph and Mary and the donkey can show up on Christmas Eve. Jesus comes Christmas Day, then the shepherds that night. And then the shepherds leave to spread the word. Then the Magi arrive. Then the Magi leave by a different route. Then Joseph, Mary, and Jesus leave.

In ancient and medieval reckoning, a day ran from sunset to sunset (rather than from midnight to midnight as we have it today). This is why the Jewish Sabbath begins on Friday evening.

Christ was (traditionally) born on Christmas Eve – that is, the dark part of the day that preceded the dawn of Christmas Day. The shepherds are told about the birth, and turn up shortly afterwards, but still before dawn.

Nowadays, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day have been split into two separate days, but originally, it was one 24-hour period.

--------------------
I'd rather be with you people than the finest people in the world!

Posts: 1010 | From: North Tyneside, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages