snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » This just seems like common sense.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: This just seems like common sense.
Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why is it so hard to grasp?

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know can't be anymore difficult to grasp than the snopes FAQ:

quote:
Use descriptive topic names when starting new threads, ones that reflect the subjects of your posts. Topic names such as "I just got this in e-mail," "Here's another one," or "Yuck!" are not good choices.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't open pages 2-5 of the article, but here is an anecdote:

Mr Embra's mother was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a few years ago. I don't think she's cut out carbs, but she has improved her diet and lifestyle (plenty of fresh fruit and veg; small portions; lots of exercise) and she hasn't displayed any diabetes symptoms for the last two years or so.

Is diet not typically addressed when someone presents with type 2 diabetes? Do they really cut straight to "here's your insulin"?

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Type-2 diabetes is almost never treated with insulin. Depending on how advanced it is when the doctor first sees the patient, he/she will prescribe diet and exercise, sometimes combined with medications such as metphormin (although not actually insulin). My Dad has been following the standard advice for at least 10 years now, and his condition has not significantly worsened. He still takes the medicine, but has not needed to go onto insulin, and his dosage was recently reduced.

The rest of the article seems like another Atkins inspired "let's bash carbs" rant.

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
THanks BringTheNoise - I couldn't remember what advice the MIL had received, just that she has completely controlled her condition through diet and exercise and doesn't take any meds at all now.

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Embra:
Is diet not typically addressed when someone presents with type 2 diabetes? Do they really cut straight to "here's your insulin"?

Yes it is, and no they don't, IME. I have a number of diabetic friends and relatives, and every one of them was encouraged to improve their diet and exercise more. In some cases, diet and exercise alone was enough to control the disease; in other cases, medication (not necessarily insulin) was needed.

Now, the diet changes they were asked to make were the ADA changes, not the changes recommended by the doctor in the OP article.

But to dismiss the ADA's concern about heart disease is, I believe, a mistake. First of all, the fact that heart disease is a major cause of death for diabetics does not necessarily mean that it is simply, and always, a complication of diabetes, or that controlling the diabetes with a carb-free diet will eliminate the risk of heart disease.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RLobinske
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RLobinske   E-mail RLobinske   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have mild type-2 diabetes that is controlled through diet and exercise, no medications. And, it's not a "cut out all carbs" diet", it's a controlled carb intake diet. It uses education, blood glucose monitoring and portion control to limit carbohydrate intake to a level the body can handle effectively.

To quickly look at the ADA food pyramid without understanding the portions involved, and the recommendations for individual diet plans, overgeneralizes and simplfies what is actually involved. It also is not a "one size fits all", it is only one tool available. ADA on healthy diet IMO, the article is distorting what the ADA is actually recommending.

One of the important facets that my dietician stressed was developing a balanced diet that meets my needs, and is one that I enjoy, thus making it easier to follow.

ETA: added comments and link

Posts: 296 | From: Crawfordville, Florida | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know if eating 70% of your calories from fat is bad or good long term, but it sure sounds boring. I like carbs. I couldn't stay on a diet if I was never allowed to eat them again.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RLobinske
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RLobinske   E-mail RLobinske   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thinking more on this article, it has several telltales that make me suspicious; including allusions to a medical establishment or organization that ignores some kind of old wisdom (and implies a conspiracy to only use expensive drug therapies) and a maverick doctor fighting to bring out the truth. Plus, reports of amazing cure rates by said doctor.
Posts: 296 | From: Crawfordville, Florida | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nutritional education for diabetics is patchy. A relative of mine was told to 'eat what you have been eating, just cut the amount by 1/2 to 2/3.' My neighbor was put on a high-carb/low fat diet. I was advised to minimize (not eliminate!) carbs and to exercise. Of the three, I seem to be doing the best, but YMMV. My doctor says that because my body is burning the fat for energy it doesn't have time to hang around in my bloodstream and clog the pipes.

Diabetes is the body's inability to properly metabolize carbs. Who would put someone with celiac sprue on a wheat diet, or someone with lactose intolerance on a dairy diet? Nobody with any sense, that's who. Then why, in the name of all logic, would anyone tell a diabetic to load up on carbohydrates?

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dr. Barry Sears, author of "The Zone" diet, makes exactly the same claim, about carbs being very bad for diabetics. I can't remember which ones but there is a core of somewhat maverick nutritionists out there who firmly believe this. Not just one or two, but more all the time.

When I listen to their explanation of why, it makes sense to me. I have seen the diet recommended by the diabetic association and it seems carb heavy to me, too.~ note that The Zone is not carb FREE. But carbs are well under 50 percent of caloric intake (about 30 percent) and none of them should be refined, but in the form of non starchy veggies and whole grains.

I agree with you, Elkhound. Makes no sense at all to me.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RLobinske
Deck the Malls

quote:
Originally posted by redsnapperdragonfly:
Dr. Barry Sears, author of "The Zone" diet, makes exactly the same claim, about carbs being very bad for diabetics. I can't remember which ones but there is a core of somewhat maverick nutritionists out there who firmly believe this. Not just one or two, but more all the time.

When I listen to their explanation of why, it makes sense to me. I have seen the diet recommended by the diabetic association and it seems carb heavy to me, too.~ note that The Zone is not carb FREE. But carbs are well under 50 percent of caloric intake (about 30 percent) and none of them should be refined, but in the form of non starchy veggies and whole grains.

I agree with you, Elkhound. Makes no sense at all to me.

It's important to also look at all the ADA information. One of their quick tests is to visually divide your plate into quarters. Starchy foods should be no more than 1/4, meat or fats 1/4 and half low-carb fruits and vegetables.

I know several poeple with diabetes (type I and II) and none of them have been given a high carb diet.

Based on the information I've been given, I'm failing to see evidence that the ADA is unaware of the idea that carbohydrates are a problem for diabetics. I'm also not seeing much of where they are being told to go on high carbohydrate diets. Please somebody, provide a cite if they are. In contrast, the ADA and other diabetic literature I've seen encourages people to be very aware of carbohydrates and how much of them that they are consuming. They have multiple tools and ways to help patients monitor their intake, which is good because different people work with things differently.

One thing that may be throwing people off is that they are not looking at the serving sizes of the ADA food pyramid, which gives much smaller than the USDA servings for foods with carbohydrates. In the case of that grains and starches group, also ADA website also states:

quote:
Remember, not many people would eat the maximum number of servings. Most people are toward the lower end of the range.
I'd suggest people actually look in detail at what the ADA is recommending and not rely upon the information provided by the article.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages