snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » "This board leans to the left"....? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: "This board leans to the left"....?
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is something that gets said every so often around here, and I've been thinking about it. It doesn't seem like a particularly liberal place to me. I remember reading a comment from Zachary Fizz about how he's been called a leftie on here, despite actually being a Tory. Which makes me wonder whether it's the international flavour of the board that makes it seem left-leaning to some.

I personally find it kind of centrist. However, I'm English, and I don't think it's any secret the England and most of Europe stands to the left of America. I'd also say that British politics have moved to the right within my lifetime, so I'm actually "used" to it being more left-leaning than it currently is, as would many of the British snopsters, I would imagine.

So, could this be why the board appears to be a leftist one on the whole? I think that the proportion of people here on what is kind of an American board is unusually high for the internet. So I'd imagine that American posters in particular wouldn't be used to hearing political opinions from the mindsets of the non-Americans on here in their day-to-day lives, or even on other sites on the internet.

What do we think? Maybe, or would I talk clearer if I stood up?

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe.

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TwoGuyswithaHat
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwoGuyswithaHat   E-mail TwoGuyswithaHat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that assessment is pretty spot on. I can see how someone on the American political right would see the board as left leaning, but from a Canadian perspective it seems fairly centrist.

--------------------
In politics, absurdity is not a handicap - Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 1801 | From: The Forest City, Ontario | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Agreed, TwoGuys. This board is centre-left to left from my perspective ... although from the perspective of the Republican party, it must seem downright communist at times!

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
Agreed, TwoGuys. This board is centre-left to left from my perspective ... although from the perspective of the Republican party, it must seem downright communist at times!

From the perspective of (most of) the people I work with, this board would be so far to the left, it is off the scale. These folks think Bush is too liberal and Ann Coulter really holds back when she talks...

Yes, I am the bleeding heart liberal in our group. [Eek!]

And I am not sure what this means, but when I first read the title of this thread, I thought it was, "The broad leans to the left...".

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by trollface:
I personally find it kind of centrist. However, I'm English, and I don't think it's any secret the England and most of Europe stands to the left of America. I'd also say that British politics have moved to the right within my lifetime, so I'm actually "used" to it being more left-leaning than it currently is, as would many of the British snopsters, I would imagine.

We take a differing viewpoint. America is the now the hand that feeds us. We also neatly double up with Europe when it suits us. Of course, the longstanding British connection is still there, but in an ever decreasing role.
Leftist? Centrist? Right.

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Steve Eisenberg
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Eisenberg   E-mail Steve Eisenberg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
US participants on the Soapbox Derby, at least, lean towards the left within their country.

Some evidence is here.

By the way, the percentage of believers here is clearly less than the 90 percent or so world average. Probably the board's atmosphere is more hostile to religion than to the right. Muslim posters, I think, have an even shorter half-life here than do Tory-types.

One group of snopians that does not seem skewed to the left consists of those serving in national militaries. I suppose that after you've been shot at, merely being insulted doesn't seem like much.

--------------------
"Hillel says yes, naturally, and Shammai says no, and Maimonides is perplexed, and what do I know?"
Julius Lester

Posts: 5780 | From: Suburban Philadelphia, Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'mNotDedalus
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by trollface:
So I'd imagine that American posters in particular wouldn't be used to hearing political opinions from the mindsets of the non-Americans on here in their day-to-day lives, or even on other sites on the internet.

That's one of my absolute favorite features of the boards.

As far as the bulk of your OP: I'd say center. There are times when a curve ball is thrown, but they seem to come from both sides and are generally quashed by the majority of participating members: The Bush Administration Was Behind 9/11 or Islam is a Religion of Hate, etc. As well, the number of atheists/agnostics seems proportional to the number of believers (if this can be said to be indicative of political leanings or not). Itís a remarkable diversity, I think.

--------------------
The salty fragrance of LíEau IímNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Eisenberg:
I suppose that after you've been shot at, merely being insulted doesn't seem like much.

That is a great line! [lol]

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Salamander

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Salamander   E-mail Salamander   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
US participants on the Soapbox Derby, at least, lean towards the left within their country.

Some evidence is here.

By the way, the percentage of believers here is clearly less than the 90 percent or so world average. Probably the board's atmosphere is more hostile to religion than to the right.

Hostile towards religion? Since when? Critical of certain religious beliefs, sure. Critical of certain outspoken religious extremists (Chick, Phelps, et al), yes.

But hostile? Even Joe Bentley at his worst is still not what I'd call hostile. There have been a handful of "I hate religious people" posters but they usually get put into place by both the theist and atheist people here.

quote:
Muslim posters, I think, have an even shorter half-life here than do Tory-types.
Perhaps I'm utterly naive but I haven't seen any concerted effort to shun Muslims on this board. People come, people go... or have you had Muslim posters tell you they are leaving because of the attitudes of the people here?

quote:
One group of snopians that does not seem skewed to the left consists of those serving in national militaries. I suppose that after you've been shot at, merely being insulted doesn't seem like much.
Military personnel tend to be right-leaning. Not all are though, particularly if you include ex-military and international posters into your numbers.

I could be totally wrong, but I have a succinct feeling that at least a few military people here may take issue with your last line.

--------------------
"victory thru self-deception"

Posts: 2211 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Some evidence is here.

Still trying to get mileage out of your bogus poll?

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
By the way, the percentage of believers here is clearly less than the 90 percent or so world average. Probably the board's atmosphere is more hostile to religion than to the right.

Interesting polls. I see that only 18% of people in Japan believe in an afterlife. The question "Do you believe in God?" would probably be confusing here. What kind of god are you talking about? What do you mean by "believe"? I suspect that Japan isn't alone in that. So, anyway, when these studies claim 90% of people in the world are believers, I wonder if they aren't creating a default amalgam of completely different beliefs, (perhaps inadvertantly) creating a special minority of people who specifically believe in no particular deities.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the board leans to the left. Leans, mind you, not tilts completely. Of course, it depends on what you consider "left" and "right" positions these days.

Have we reached the point where being in favour of gender equality and racial equality are now "centrist" and not "leftist" viewpoints? Does being pro-choice make you left or right? Pro-choicers will say left, because you are fighting for the rights of women. Pro-lifers will say right, because they feel that they are fighting for the rights of fetuses. Does being pro-Israel count as being right-wing? or is it merely that different cultures view the conflict differently?

So yeah. I just muddled you all up bigtime.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
El Camino
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for El Camino   E-mail El Camino   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
By U.S. standards, I think this board probably leans left. But since the world tends to be liberal than the U.S. (well, not the whole world, but the rest of the world that actually has a substantial amount of snopes residents, i.e. Canada, the UK, the rest of Europe), that probably isn't the case for many.

And like MapleLeaf said, "left" and "right," just like "liberal" and "conservative," are iffy terms. I feel as though I don't really fit on that spectrum well. I actually kind of hate the terms, and find them terribly confining. (Not so much the terms themselves, but the way in which they are used with such emphasis.) For example, on Facebook I call myself "Moderate," but also tend to have rather radical views that don't really fit well on the spectrum.

Posts: 1048 | From: Brunswick, Maine | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's always that political compass website with 2 axis instead of the ol' "left-right" standard.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'mNotDedalus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So we're all in agreement, then. The board's left nut sags slightly lower than the right, whereas our right breast is slightly larger than the left. The eyes are crossed, the ears are droopy. I'd say we're ready for the ball! Let 'er rip!

--------------------
The salty fragrance of LíEau IímNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree

quote:
Originally posted by I'mNotDedalus:
So we're all in agreement, then. The board's left nut sags slightly lower than the right, whereas our right breast is slightly larger than the left. The eyes are crossed, the ears are droopy. I'd say we're ready for the ball! Let 'er rip!

Sir, you are sitting on a goldmine with all that Columbian cocaine. Care to share? [Smile]

--------------------
-Silas Sparkhammer

Simply Madeline
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Simply Madeline     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to think the board leaned left, then I realised my monitor was broken. [Razz]
Posts: 763 | From: Chicago | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 603 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I find that it helps if I sit up straight in my chair.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~IímNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent DíOnofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree

quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago:
I find that it helps if I sit up straight in my chair.

bad idea

--------------------
-Silas Sparkhammer

I'mNotDedalus

quote:
Originally posted by MapleLeaf:
quote:

Sir, you are sitting on a goldmine with all that Columbian cocaine. Care to share? [Smile]
The cocaine or the goldmine? ...Or the Columbians?

--------------------

LeaflessMapleTree

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MapleLeaf:
quote:

The cocaine or the goldmine? ...Or the Columbians?
Well, I was originally talking about the cocaine, but if you've got 'em all to spare, 'tis the season after all.

--------------------
-Silas Sparkhammer

Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd say slightly right of centre myself.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Military personnel tend to be right-leaning.
Usually, those who choose a military career are on the end of the scale that their country predominantly is on. USA is a right nation, so their military tends to be right, a nation with a clear left leaning tends to have left military.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlšnge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
trollface said:
I'd also say that British politics have moved to the right within my lifetime, so I'm actually "used" to it being more left-leaning than it currently is

Iím not sure if itís true that the country as a whole used to be more left-leaning: politics did used to be more polarised, but that didnít mean that the left was really the dominant British viewpoint (particularly during our lifetime Ė i.e. the 70s to the present). What has been significant has been the rush to the centre, and a move from the politics of ideology to the politics of immediate populism.

quote:
Steve Eisenberg said:
Muslim posters, I think, have an even shorter half-life here than do Tory-types.

Isnít this because there are relatively few Muslim posters here in the first place? I havenít seen any Muslim poster who has said they were leaving because the board was intolerant to their religious views (in fact, religious posters in general seem to me to be well-represented and more than capable of standing up for themselves Ė although perhaps this is my experience as an areligious BritÖ)

For myself, I find the boards quite centrist overall. I find US posters in general more favourable towards free market economics, and more socially conservative than UK/European posters. I know that there a lot of socially conservative people in the UK, itís just that they donít seem to post here, and I donít seem to hang out with them much. Perhaps I should pop in on the Daily Mail comments board more oftenÖ

It would be interesting if the board had more posters from Middle Eastern and Asian backgrounds and locations, i.e. if it was more truly international.

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
Usually, those who choose a military career are on the end of the scale that their country predominantly is on. USA is a right nation, so their military tends to be right, a nation with a clear left leaning tends to have left military. [/QB]

I don't believe this. Every country is different. It depends on the history of the country, especially the history of its military, in addition to many other factors. (This is in addition to the solid objections that have already been voiced about the ambiguity of the left-right axis.)
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Embra:
Iím not sure if itís true that the country as a whole used to be more left-leaning: politics did used to be more polarised, but that didnít mean that the left was really the dominant British viewpoint (particularly during our lifetime Ė i.e. the 70s to the present). What has been significant has been the rush to the centre, and a move from the politics of ideology to the politics of immediate populism.

What I mean is that the Liberals are probably the only party that haven't really moved substantially, and they're now further to the left than both the Tories and Labour, wheras they used to be in the middle.

I used to have an interview with, I think, Michael Hesletine from when New Labour were fairly newly in power, and he'd joined the party. He said quite simply, that his views hadn't changed, it's simply that New Labour were now in the same place politically that the Thatcherites were when he worked for them. Let's not forget that in 1979, we actually had a socialist government, something that I simply can't see happening in this day and age.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Embra:
quote:
Steve Eisenberg said:

Isnít this because there are relatively few Muslim posters here in the first place? I havenít seen any Muslim poster who has said they were leaving because the board was intolerant to their religious views
IIRC, Javaman was round for quite a while and simply stopped posting. If he was given a hard time IMHO it was not because he was Muslim but because he was a something of a nut.

AFAIK no other card-carrying Tories have declared themselves on these boards, so I am a little concerned at Steve's implication that I have a limited time here. What do you know that I don't, Steve? [Big Grin]

Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
khdijah is a Muslim, and IIRC Michigan Girl an ex-Muslim, and I've never seen them given a hard time over their [ex]religion. I've not seen khadijah post for a while though; have I missed something?

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Archie2K's a bit of a Tory type, isn't he? Surely there have to be at least two of you for the half-life even to have a meaning, unless it goes by number of posts or something.
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't believe this. Every country is different. It depends on the history of the country, especially the history of its military, in addition to many other factors.
Which is why I qualified it with a "usually".

quote:
This is in addition to the solid objections that have already been voiced about the ambiguity of the left-right axis.
You get no argument from me there.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlšnge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
Archie2K's a bit of a Tory type, isn't he? Surely there have to be at least two of you for the half-life even to have a meaning, unless it goes by number of posts or something.

How would you measure Tory half-lives anyway? Do we emit particles? (Neutrons? Photons? Camerons?)
Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
How would you measure Tory half-lives anyway?
By the quality of the poetry they write? [Razz]

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz

quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
quote:
How would you measure Tory half-lives anyway?
By the quality of the poetry they write? [Razz]
Measured in Thomas Newtons?
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd say the board leans a bit to the left overall. But then, I'm not only American, I'm also an MBA student at the moment. It's all about perspective.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Codeô is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages