snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » Judge: Make Bills Recognizable to the Blind (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Judge: Make Bills Recognizable to the Blind
Steve Eisenberg
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Eisenberg   E-mail Steve Eisenberg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As mentioned, the US is a conservative in its currency design, although not as resistent to change it it used to be.

My first choice is to eliminate the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, and eventually the US Mint as well. Lightweight, anonymous, paper money is enormously implicated in crime against all sorts of people, blind and sighted.

How many liquor stores would be held up if the only thing to steal there was booze? How many Congresspersons would accept a bribe in electronic form? How much longer would it have taken North Korea to get the bomb if it hadn't been able to print our money on demand ?

Private industry took care of the monetary instrument needs of the US for most of its first century. With today's technical advances, the private sector is in a stronger position than ever to take on this role.

Something tells me that North Korea would have one hell of a hard time counterfeiting a Bank of America debit card.

--------------------
"Hillel says yes, naturally, and Shammai says no, and Maimonides is perplexed, and what do I know?"
Julius Lester

Posts: 5780 | From: Suburban Philadelphia, Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You can have my cash when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

Cash is King.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Donovan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donovan   E-mail Donovan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As for the pile of coins, I've seen around here (South Alabama) machines in grocery stores that are 'pour your coin jar in and get your cash credit back'. Not sure on any fee, but gotta be better than rolling your own (that sounded wrong) or having 'unusable' money.

Donovan Ravenhull
(Charter member of the 'quote and parentheses' abuse society)

--------------------
Illius me paenitet, dux (Latin for fun and business)

"It's like trying to hawk pork chops at a kosher PETA banquet." - Esprise Me

Posts: 429 | From: Alabama | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Salamander

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Salamander   E-mail Salamander   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just thought I'd chime in and say that I find this whole "OMG... you can't change our currency!!1!!!11!" panic to be utterly ridiculous.

Australia has switched to a decimal monetary system, ditched 1c and 2c coins, changed the $1 and $2 notes into coins and changed our paper-based currency to a type of plastic note.

Our current notes ($5, $10, $20, $50 & $100) vary in size and colour from each other (as can be seen here). All of this has been done without any major fuss and has not bankrupted the country in any way, shape or form.

So please, keep talking about how it'll destroy the world to change the US currency or how it is impossibly complex or prohibitively expensive. In the meanwhile, don't be too surprised if the citizens of other countries tend to snicker.

--------------------
"victory thru self-deception"

Posts: 2211 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Donovan Ravenhull:
Just to give you an idea of the political side, the 'Save the Greenback' movement to prevent the replacement of the $1 bill with the coin was backed by Ted Kennedy and Trent Lott. How often do you see those two working together?

I think this post pretty much sums up why our currency will not change by much in the near future.

Lott & Kennedy on the same bill?!?!?!???!!? [Eek!]

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Steve Eisenberg
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Eisenberg   E-mail Steve Eisenberg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:

Cash is King.

Fine with me. Keep it all. Maybe some day you can sell it to a currency collector. I doubt it would be a good investment, but that's up to you.

If a store wants to put out a "We accept US paper money" sign -- or a "We accept Euros" sign -- that's up to them. But if the US government stops printing the stuff, most of our retail business will, before long, stop endangering their employees by keeping large sums of lightweight anonymous money on the premises.

--------------------
"Hillel says yes, naturally, and Shammai says no, and Maimonides is perplexed, and what do I know?"
Julius Lester

Posts: 5780 | From: Suburban Philadelphia, Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There is no chance the US government will stop printing money, Steve.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Salamander

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Salamander   E-mail Salamander   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There is no chance the US government will stop printing money, Steve.

I don't know about that... but I figure they'd certainly not be the first.

The move to a cashless society will probably happen first in a country of technophiles (possibly Japan or South Korea maybe?) and then it will probably be adopted by a handful of European countries before being adapted by the EU.

Australia will notice it by this stage and the two major political parties will immediately take entirely oppositional stances over the matter. Australian citizens will vote in the next election for whichever party says they will categorically never, ever introduce a cashless system yet once that party is in power they'll immediately set about implementing it. The other side (who previously supported it) will begin issuing statements saying that introducing a cashless society is "un-Australian" and will deny ever having supported the idea.

The US will get there last. Although not until after being told that plastic cards are "tools of the devil" and will destroy the fabric of society. Also, Oprah will have a special show where honest, hard-working strippers will cry as they talk about how a cashless society will devastate the age-old tradition of stuffing notes into their thongs or lingerie. Jerry Springer will actually have the strippers perform on the show while audience members throw $1 notes at them. After several political scandals where promiment politicians who are critical of the cashless system are caught paying for their shopping on a debit card rather than "God's own" cash, the major resistance to change will eventually break down. Of course, being the US of A, it'll be left to each State to implement their own cashless system and it will lead to major issues with incompatibility.

Cynical? Me?

ETA: Extra examples.

--------------------

Posts: 2211 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

I think the real reason we won't stop printing money is because US currency is used as the official currency of a great many nations who are definitely not ready to go cashless. It is also the most widely-circulated currency in the world.

Last, it might be. I suspect it won't be in my lifetime, hence, it could be pried from my cold, dead fingers.

--------------------

Doug4.7

Icon 212 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Salamander:
Oprah will have a special show where honest, hard-working strippers will cry as they talk about how a cashless society will devastate the age-old tradition of stuffing notes into their thongs or lingerie. Jerry Springer will actually have the strippers perform on the show while audience members throw $1 notes at them.

You just gave me a great idea: stripper thongs with USB ports on them! That way, the John could "stick it in" her thong and pass on a $1 or two.... I gotta get started.

Of course, it could all be done with BlueTooth, or RFID, but just waving a card at her just isn't the same as "sticking it to her". [fish]

--------------------

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Salamander

quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:
You just gave me a great idea: stripper thongs with USB ports on them! That way, the John could "stick it in" her thong and pass on a $1 or two.... I gotta get started.

Of course, it could all be done with BlueTooth, or RFID, but just waving a card at her just isn't the same as "sticking it to her". [fish]

A large part of my psyche is writing this post under protest. The 5~10% of my personality that loves to say utterly inappropriate things has taken control.

I can't believe I'm going to actually write this... but I'm sure with micronisation, the strippers could really find some inventive places for clients to "swipe" their debit cards.

There, it is written. I think I can go back to being a SNAG now.

--------------------

LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

A large part of my psyche is writing this post under protest. The 5~10% of my personality that loves to say utterly inappropriate things has taken control.

I can't believe I'm going to actually write this... but I'm sure with micronisation, the strippers could really find some inventive places for clients to "swipe" their debit cards.

There, it is written. I think I can go back to being a SNAG now.

DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT Sal! I hate you with every living tissue in my body!

(I was going to say the exact same thing)

Grr. [Smile]

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
'sokay, Mapleleaf. Think yourself lucky that it's Sal who owes me a new keyboard...

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've seen bills being made . They use the same machines to make all of the bills from $1 to $20. They would have to buy new machines, and that would not be cheap. Impossible? No. Expensive? Yes.
With the number of bills made, it would not be more expensive. You need many machines anyway, and if the change is phased in over some time, it could be done within the replacement cycle of the machines. Besides, how big is the cost on a national scale?

quote:
But did the other countries have different sized bills before vending machines and ATMs existed? If so, then the entire system was designed with different sized bills in mind where the US system was designed with same sized bills in mind.
Such machines are made for the international market. They are able to handle different sizes, they just need a quick adjustment and maybe a new front plate.

quote:
Our coinage has been added to several times in my memory, and several of the most common coins (5p, 10p, 50p) were redesigned in a different size - not all at the same time, either. This meant changes to all coin-operated vending machines.
Coin operated machines are even simpler to adjust, usually it's just a screw (and maybe a new front plate).

quote:
Then there are those who think it will be a secretive plan to declare than all their hoarded cash is suddenly invalid, bankrupting these 'good, God fearing, patriotic sons of liberty.'
The tradition here is that even if a coin or bill goes out of circulation and can not be used, it can still be exchanged at the national bank, presumably for all eternity.

quote:
I've already overheard many a conversation about how "bad" the new money looks. Many people HATE even the HINT of color that is in the new bills. "Looks like Monopoly money to me, it just ain't right...".
The funny thing is that most people I've heard (non Americans) consider US currency to look like toy money. They are all the same size and have the same artwork!

quote:
"Colour coding?"

I, too, wondered how that would help blind people.

There are degrees to visual impairment. Colour will help those who still have some vision left, but have difficulties reading the number.

quote:
I suspect the challenge for raised dots is that they would need to survive the wear and tear standard for US money which is very vigorous.
And they stick together and mess up mechanical handling and neat stacks.

quote:
But the change from IR£ to euro five years ago was dramatic. Many European countries had to cope with new notes that bore little numerical resemblance to their original currencies.
That's one reason Sweden stayed out of the euro thingy, and most likely will not join in a very long time.

There were also various other problems. One that affected me was that pinball machines and other similar machines used 5 kr coins, and the closest coin in the euro system was the 1/2 euro. The problem is that it was only worth about 4 kr, which meant that profits would drop by 20%. This, in turn, meant that machines would have to have a 20% longer life span to pay off, and those last years are the most expensive, which meant that they probably had to last 50% longer to make up for that. Several operators feared that it would completely kill the pinball/arcade market.

quote:
The bottom line is several things could be done to assist the blind, but that would require the majority of Americans to actually THINK about something.
We can't have that! What would people think?!?!?

Seriously, though, this is the main issue. Should we discriminate against the blind who are already in a bad position or against the rest who will get along fine anyway?

quote:
That's what lots of people here do. Stick all your change in a jar.
I use a bucket. The previous times I've emptied it, I've netted around $2000 each time.

quote:
Ours will charge you some fee to do that.
Usually only if you just exchange it, if you deposit it to your account, it's free (rolled or not). Then you go outside and withdraw it in the ATM.

quote:

Cash is King.

Count me in on that.

quote:
DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT Sal! I hate you with every living tissue in my body!
Don't worry, he stole it from a Duckman episode.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I ate lunch at a place that had old newspaper ads (from the 1900s or so) as tablecloths. From those ads I would say that we should have no paper bills smaller than $10 and no coins smaller than a dime.

And Salamander, I never thought of the idea of "swiping" a debit card. That is even better. Or maybe modern strippers can have all three (swipe, USB, and RFID). The key would be to make it anonymous. "It's not like it would be deductable or anything...". A girl's gotta make a living.... [Wink]

--------------------

AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Eliminating pennies would cause issues with sales taxes, though.

--------------------

Doug4.7

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I've at least read that the way to do that would be to calculate the tax and then for cash transactions, round to the nearest $0.05. It is almost what they do now in many stores with that little change bowl. If you need a penney or three, take it out of the bowl, if you get a penny or three, put them in the bowl.

If I were in charge (I know, good thing it ain't true) I would eliminate the penny and $1 bill, go with a $1 coin and push harder for a cashless society (all transactions by debit or credit card from a jukebox tune to the purchase of a house).

Of course, there are advantages of anonymous transactions (where as debit/credit are NOT). Do I really want a record somewhere of me buying a Playboy? [Eek!]

--------------------

Salamander

quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
Don't worry, he stole it from a Duckman episode.

An episode of what??? Man, I come up with an idea and it gets stolen from me before I even thought it up.

--------------------

BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I've at least read that the way to do that would be to calculate the tax and then for cash transactions, round to the nearest $0.05. It is almost what they do now in many stores with that little change bowl....
That's pretty much exactly what they do in countries, Argentina for one, which don't have the equivelent of pennies anymore. Though if you pay with a credit/debt they don't round.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 602 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I believe that this problem already exists with some areas having sales tax of 6.75%, and I've seen registers which *always* round up (to the penny), rather than the normal method of rounding. Rounding to nearest nickel for cash transactions would not be a huge amount of money lost or gained for either retailers or consumers, assuming that retailers are legislated to round up only if the last digit (to 2 decimal places) is a 3 or an 8.

Paper transactions, however, would still be calculated to 2 decimal places, debit/credit/cheque transactions would still be to the penny.

FYI for the person (I forget who, sorry) who mentioned the change-sorting machines in grocery stores - the ones I have seen charge 8.9%, which is a lot of money, in my opinion. I can buy 36 pre-formed change rolling papers for $1, which is about 2.8 cents each. For a roll of 50 pennies, that is 5.6%, however, for a $10 roll of 40 quarters, that is only 0.27%. It may be convenient and cost-effective for pennies and even nickels, but paying 90 cents on every $10 in quarters is a big scam.

--------------------
"The fate of *billions* depends on you! Hahahahaha....sorry." Lord Raiden - Mortal Kombat

Posts: 1587 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Salamander

quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
quote:
quote:

I've at least read that the way to do that would be to calculate the tax and then for cash transactions, round to the nearest $0.05. It is almost what they do now in many stores with that little change bowl....
That's pretty much exactly what they do in countries, Argentina for one, which don't have the equivelent of pennies anymore. Though if you pay with a credit/debt they don't round.
Same here... although it depends on the product. Most stores just round to the nearest 5 (since mostly they price it at $19.95 and things like that). Supermarkets are the one place that lists prices "as is" like 96c or $1.43 or whatever... they only round down to the nearest 5c denomination once the total price has been calculated. If you pay by card, you pay the exact price listed (no rounding).

Mind you, by law all our advertised prices already include any applicable taxes.

--------------------

Arriah
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arriah   E-mail Arriah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I save up my change and then use it at the self-checkout registers at Walmart during slow times. That way I never have to roll or count it and nobody gets a chunk of it.

[hijack]
One day right before payday I was out of money except for a bag of change and ran out of tampons. The guy behind me seemed to find it very amusing that I paid for a box of tampons with almost all pennies and nickels.
[/hijack]

--------------------
Conforming meant that everyone liked you except yourself
Rebecca

Posts: 682 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Donovan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donovan   E-mail Donovan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For me, it would be pennies in the machines.

One thought on eliminating the physical penny and letting retailers round up to the next nickle while keeping paperless to the cent, is that it would encourage some to use their cards (or thier next equivalent) more often.

One thing I've heard of lately was making a cell phone a money device too.

--------------------
Illius me paenitet, dux (Latin for fun and business)

"It's like trying to hawk pork chops at a kosher PETA banquet." - Esprise Me

Posts: 429 | From: Alabama | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

We don't circulate a one mil coin but have no problem with gasoline priced to the thousandth of a dollar (and what's up with that anyway?).

I would suggest rounding cash purchases to the nearest nickel and using exact amounts for card or check transactions.

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arriah:
I save up my change and then use it at the self-checkout registers at Walmart during slow times.

That's a good idea! I'll have to try it with mine...

--------------------

AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

quote:
Originally posted by Nick Theodorakis:
quote:

We don't circulate a one mil coin but have no problem with gasoline priced to the thousandth of a dollar (and what's up with that anyway?).

I would suggest rounding cash purchases to the nearest nickel and using exact amounts for card or check transactions.

Nick

And eventually people will gripe about how much time/energy/space the nickle is taking.

I remember being in third grade in Royalton, Minnesota back in 1978 when my Weekly Reader proclaimed the penny's imminent demise.

29 years later, we don't seem to be any closer.

--------------------

GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If we are talking stripper-payment, wouldn't a fingerprint payment system be more user friendly? You could use the the thumb for $5, index for $4, middle for $3, ring for $2, and pinkie for $1. Using both hands would total $30.

This would also have the advantage of penalizing the rude guys who grab what they shouldn't as a pinch costs $9 and a grab costs $15.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
quote:
Then there are those who think it will be a secretive plan to declare than all their hoarded cash is suddenly invalid, bankrupting these 'good, God fearing, patriotic sons of liberty.'
The tradition here is that even if a coin or bill goes out of circulation and can not be used, it can still be exchanged at the national bank, presumably for all eternity.
That's the same with the Euro. All old European currencies will be exchanged for Euro at the branches of the respective National Banks forever. So even if my grandkids find a stack of Deutsche Mark cash hidden in their granddad's old desk in 50 years, they can take it to the Deutsche Bundesbank or any Landesbank to have it exchanged to Euros (not that I have any cash hidden away, mind you).

quote:
quote:
But the change from IR£ to euro five years ago was dramatic. Many European countries had to cope with new notes that bore little numerical resemblance to their original currencies.
That's one reason Sweden stayed out of the euro thingy, and most likely will not join in a very long time.

There were also various other problems. One that affected me was that pinball machines and other similar machines used 5 kr coins, and the closest coin in the euro system was the 1/2 euro. The problem is that it was only worth about 4 kr, which meant that profits would drop by 20%. This, in turn, meant that machines would have to have a 20% longer life span to pay off, and those last years are the most expensive, which meant that they probably had to last 50% longer to make up for that. Several operators feared that it would completely kill the pinball/arcade market.

Why not just make the fee for one game €0.60 or 0.70? Granted, that would mean you would need different slots for several coins, and €0.70 would be slightly more expensive then 5 kr, but is that really a reason to stay away from the benefits of a single European currency? Unless, of course, you don't see no benefits.

Or, get cashless pinball machines like the cashless cigarette vending machines that are being introduced in Germany lately.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
quote:
quote:

Same here... although it depends on the product. Most stores just round to the nearest 5 (since mostly they price it at $19.95 and things like that). Supermarkets are the one place that lists prices "as is" like 96c or $1.43 or whatever... they only round down to the nearest 5c denomination once the total price has been calculated. If you pay by card, you pay the exact price listed (no rounding).

Mind you, by law all our advertised prices already include any applicable taxes.

Advertised prices here include all taxes (VAT / sales tax as well as special taxes like alcohol tax), too. Apart from that, you could always do what they did in Italy (and, I think, Greece) before the Euro: Since their coins were worth basically nothing, they didn't use them any more. Instead, if you had to pay 9,980 Lira, you would give 10,000 Lira and recieve a small sweet from a bowl next to the cashier with your purchases.

Don Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hero_Mike:
FYI for the person (I forget who, sorry) who mentioned the change-sorting machines in grocery stores - the ones I have seen charge 8.9%, which is a lot of money, in my opinion. I can buy 36 pre-formed change rolling papers for $1, which is about 2.8 cents each. For a roll of 50 pennies, that is 5.6%, however, for a $10 roll of 40 quarters, that is only 0.27%. It may be convenient and cost-effective for pennies and even nickels, but paying 90 cents on every $10 in quarters is a big scam.

Do you always have to pay for them? In the UK we use plastic coin bags with the amounts they take printed on them*, but you can just go into a bank and ask for them and they'll give you a load for nothing.

*(To be exact the text is: "NO MIXED COIN PLEASE £20 in £2 coin, £20 in £1 coin, £10 silver in 50p or 20p, £5 silver in 10p or 5p, £1 bronze in 2p or 1p. Re-usable bag - please return". It's laid out in a table a bit more neatly than that.)

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We have these awful paper tubes you need to shove the coins into and fold down the ends, and most banks that I know of will give them out. You're stuck either rolling the darned things by hand (you have to stack them perfectly to make them fit, and most stores will make you write your name and address on them to ensure you're being honest about the amount) or buying plastic coin-tibes or sorters to do the majority of the work. Many stores have a machine in the back that will sort the coins by denomination and seal them in plastic rolls, which are a &^%#$# to get open, usually by smashing the roll on the edge of the cash drawer.

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

When you fill out your annual IRS Form 1040, do you put in amounts to the penny? Or do you round to the nearest dollar? The IRS has no objection to that; I always round, just out of laziness.

If one assumes (?) that the last digit of a purchase is essentially a random number, then any change would be revenue-neutral.

(For several years, I have gone to a convenience store on workday mornings and bought breakfast. The exact same breakfast every time. The clerks all know me! As it turns out, this purchase is just below a "break point" where the tax would jump up by a penny. Thus, for over 500 days, I have been taking advantage of the State of California for about four tenths of a cent per day. That's two whole dollars in total. Somehow, I don't see that this system bias -- even if everyone were able to calculate purchases with similar precision -- is going to break the bank in Sacramento!)

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Regarding strippers, I think some clubs here have ticket systems set up. Just like buying drink tickets at parties, you buy tickets from the club with which to tip the dancers which they later trade in for cash. Private dances have set prices (such as $30 for 10 minutes, and they do try to upsell you) which must be paid in advance.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So please, keep talking about how it'll destroy the world to change the US currency or how it is impossibly complex or prohibitively expensive. In the meanwhile, don't be too surprised if the citizens of other countries tend to snicker.

And, as an added bonus, I will be happy to take any currency off the hands of any US snopesters who don't like the new money!

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxKaladin   E-mail MaxKaladin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My uncle once told me about a guy who paid a repair bill on his tractor with thousands of pennies, nickles and dimes -- all loose. He said he didn't bother counting them. He just took them all across the street to the bank and had them run them through the counting machine.
Posts: 716 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Trollface, banks here in Austin at least do not generally accept rolled coins that the person rolls himself. Too many cases of fraud. If you roll your coins and take them to most banks, they will make you unroll them before they'll count them or they'll charge you to unroll them for you. Also, there are banks that charge their customers $2 per counter visit. So going to the bank to deposit $10 would mean a 20% loss. That's why I left my bank for a credit union about 10 years ago. They fee'd me up the yin yang and had lousy service. That's why I joined a credit union associated with my job. They loosen up my direct deposit funds from my job a day early. No charge for coin counting (but they don't want them rolled). Very low and reasonable fees and I earn interest even on my puny checking account. No fees for Visa check cards either. Believe me, it will be a cold, cold day when I go back to a regular bank, though I understand they're getting better.

I saved up my change for a year once and dragged in $637.50 worth of quarters. That's around 36lbs of quarters. When I say I dragged them in, I'm being quite literal.

Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages