snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » Chicago Boots "Nativity" Ads from Christkindlmarket

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chicago Boots "Nativity" Ads from Christkindlmarket
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Chicago Tribune story

The story may require registration. In summary: The city provides the space for a "Christkindlmarket", a festival/marketplace run by the German-American Chamber of Commerce, every Christmas season. They were going to show trailers for "The Nativity Story" on monitors there, paid for by the filmmakers, to help pay for the market.

The city has asked them not to, on this theory:
quote:
"Our guidance was that this very prominently placed advertisement would not only be insensitive to the many people of different faiths who come to enjoy the market for its food and unique gifts, but also it would be contrary to acceptable advertising standards suggested to the many festivals holding events on Daley Plaza," Jim Law, executive director of the Mayor's Office of Special Events, said in a statement.
Now, I'm in favor of the separation of church and state, but if they're all that worried about offending somebody, shouldn't they call it something other than "Christ-child-market"? Is anybody actually going to be offended by an ad for a movie about the Christmas story being played at a Christmas festival?

Edited to fix tags.

Further edit: Dammit, I can never keep Rantidote and Soapbox Derby straight. I meant to post it there.

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe the people at the Mayor's Office of Special Events are not as fluent in German as you are?

[Smile]

Don Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ach du lieber!

If ich bin fluent, was is zomebody who kanst really sprecken der lankuage, zuch as du-self? [fish]

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
going slightly mad
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for going slightly mad   E-mail going slightly mad   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Color me confused, a Christkindlmarkt is basically one big commercial celebration of all the tackiness that makes Christmas so special, I don't believe that a trailer for a Nativity Story would make much of a difference, why with the eyesores they sell as ornaments these days it would probably be the least offensive thing in the whole place.

--------------------
Don't warn the tadpoles!

Posts: 109 | From: Vienna | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
violetbon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for violetbon   E-mail violetbon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sigh. Does this mean that they'll no longer dye the river green on St. Patrick's day for fear of leaving the non-leprechauns out and hurting their feelings?

Chicago has so many ethnic festivals... in the summer there's one practically every week somewhere in the city. Some others have religious overtones as well, and it always seems to be no big deal, as it's part of the culture being presented. OTOH, the Nativity movie isn't about the German culture per se... so I can kind of see the complaint. If it were a movie specifically made in Germany or something.. it'd be a bit more relevant to the German American C.O.C.

Posts: 193 | From: Seymour, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dreams of Thinking Machines

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dreams of Thinking Machines   E-mail Dreams of Thinking Machines   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with the officials' decision. People just shouldn't be allowed to peacefully assemble to practice their religious customs! It's not like there are any laws that state this is required...oh...wait.
[fish]

--------------------
Obi Wan: "Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"
Anakin: "Um, isn't your last statement an absolute?"

Posts: 166 | From: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Simply Madeline
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Simply Madeline     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dreams of thinking machines:
I agree with the officials' decision. People just shouldn't be allowed to peacefully assemble to practice their religious customs! It's not like there are any laws that state this is required...oh...wait.
[fish]

No one is preventing anyone from gathering anywhere or doing anything. The city recommended that the organizers of the festival turn down advertising support from the makers of the film "The Nativity". I seriously doubt that they are doing this on religious grounds, as this is an event called "Christkindlemarket" that has been held on city property for years (there's also a nativity scene, a Christmas tree, a menorah, and a Kwanzaa candle in Daly Plaza, where the market is held). My understanding is that what was considered objectionable was the idea of setting up video screens that would play scenes from the movie, as that would be against Chicago's policy on advertisments on city property. (I can't find the offical policy online, but I seem to recall that it would be okay to have signs indicating that the movie "is a proud sponsor of" the event, but that any blatant 'advertising' is off-limits)

There's no 'war on Christmas' to be seen here, folks, move along.

Posts: 763 | From: Chicago | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Simply Madeline, I would be looking to agree with you, but then why did Jim Law also make a point of saying the trailers:

quote:
...would not only be insensitive to the many people of different faiths who come to enjoy the market for its food and unique gifts...
Where does this idea that it would be "insensitive" to people of other faiths come from, and why is it considered relevant?

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Simply Madeline
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Simply Madeline     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Embra:
Simply Madeline, I would be looking to agree with you, but then why did Jim Law also make a point of saying the trailers:

quote:
...would not only be insensitive to the many people of different faiths who come to enjoy the market for its food and unique gifts...
Where does this idea that it would be "insensitive" to people of other faiths come from, and why is it considered relevant?
Hmmm, don't know. Maybe his point is that if they show this trailer, they'd have to show trailers from movies about all the holidays being celebrated at this time of year. And nobody wants to see trailers from that horrible Adam Sandler Hanukkah movie. Or maybe it's the fact that there's already a nativity scene on the plaza and having an additional reference to the nativity would be overshadowing the other religious and secular symbols of the season on display. Or maybe he's saying that people of all faiths are offended by blatant commercials by a movie studio.
Posts: 763 | From: Chicago | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, you're right - he doesn't say it would be offensive to people of "other" faiths. Just that it would be offensive to people in general, regardless of faith.
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages