snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » What is so appealing about energy drinks? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What is so appealing about energy drinks?
Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've actually never had a Jaeger Bomb effect me....at all. I generally don't consume large quantities, though, and considering my body size it takes quite a lot of alcohol to even phase me.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
remigo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for remigo   E-mail remigo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I almost never drink fizzy drinks - icky and sticky and ugh.

But I am fond of the taste of Red Bull (or its imitators). Though not mixed with alcohol!

During a tough day at work, when I haven't had enough sleep, it really does concentrate the mind. And when feeling drowsy driving, it can literally be a life saver.

Perhaps it's just that I've associated the taste with the positive affects. It also tastes like the cough medicine we were given as children, which made me feel better too.

However, I wouldn't drink it too often. I've heard about it being related to Sudden Adult Death.

AGH what am I saying, this is Snopes! Better go look for a cite...
*goes searchy*

Posts: 238 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
remigo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for remigo   E-mail remigo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cites:
BBC article

And read the last paragraph here to see that the claims are not scientifically rigorous.

Snopes

Still, better safe than sorry, especially with something so high calorie!

Posts: 238 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jenovatrix
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenovatrix   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
sorry, posted in the wrong forum

--------------------
"Flaming Bags of Poo should not be delivered indefinitely after a bad date." - Sims 2 patch fix
my space ::my kitty friend, Orion

Posts: 181 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They taste like awful cheap soda with a multivitamin disolved in them *icky*

The TAB energy drink was passable, but one in my lifetime is more than enough [lol]

--------------------
Peter: You better watch who you're calling a child Lois, because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedophile, and I'll be damned if I'm going to stand here and be lectured by a pervert

Posts: 354 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skippytoe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skippytoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Steven Segal showed up at a comic book convention and handed his brand out. It was called "Lightning Bolt" and the trash cans were full of one sipped cans. It was fun watching everbody take a sip, wince and throw it out. Line of the day- "It's worse than his MOVIES!"

--------------------
In the wheelchair people tower above me
Why doesn't God love me?
-M.C. Evil Jesus

Posts: 158 | From: Queens, NY | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
00-Saleen
Deck the Malls

Icon 37 posted      Profile for 00-Saleen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skippytoe:
Steven Segal showed up at a comic book convention and handed his brand out. It was called "Lightning Bolt" and the trash cans were full of one sipped cans. It was fun watching everbody take a sip, wince and throw it out. Line of the day- "It's worse than his MOVIES!"

Head on over to the Agony Booth for the full recap! www.agonybooth.com
Posts: 239 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TwoGuyswithaHat
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwoGuyswithaHat   E-mail TwoGuyswithaHat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oceanic Aura:
Mmmmmm...Jaeger-bomb. When I was a wee nineteen year old we used to go to Canada to drink (it was about two miles that-a-way), but we could never get a Jaeger-bomb because Red Bull is illegal.

Was illegal. We can now get that vile drink everywhere.

Until recently the only carbonated beverages that were allowed to have added caffeine were brown drinks (i.e. pepsi and coke). However, the rules have changed to allow for these energy drinks. It is this rule change that allows us to now get caffinated Mountain Dew sold as an "energy drink" called Dew Fuel.

I prefer our regular Mountain Dew.

--------------------
In politics, absurdity is not a handicap - Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 1801 | From: The Forest City, Ontario | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Never tasted an energy drink, and don't particularly care to. I like iced tea -- sweet with lemon or raspberry, but not peach. Don't care for coffee at all. I've never drunk a beer in my life, and never expect to -- for some reason I can't get past the smell. To me, beer smells like something rotting.

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jaybird96
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaybird96   E-mail jaybird96   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to work for RedBull...I think they taste kind of like sweet tarts. I don't mind the flavor, but they give me the willies! I'll never understand how anyone can drink one and study. All that caffeine, taurine, and B complex vitamins make my thoughts fly around inside my head like angry bees! [Razz]

--------------------
El mono se vista de seda, pero mono se queda.

I'm not shy...I'm just quietly stalking my prey.

Posts: 24 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alluvian
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alluvian     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I enjoy the taste, and like the crazy amounts of carbonation that seems to be in them. That said, the only time I drink them is when I need the effect that they provide - inability to sleep.

They are a more readily avialable on the road form of no-doze for me. I could drink a 42 oz diet soda and still be half asleep on the road. Caffeine just does not do that much to me.

It is the other 'ine's in the energy drink that pack the punch. The guarine and the taurine. Those combined with caffeine are just crazy. One big sobe sugar free energy drink and I am wide awake for hours of driving. Literally a lifesaver for me, I have bad problems with exhaustion when driving long distances. The vibrations of the car and the monotony just put me to sleep. There is no worse feeling than repeatedly catching youself dozing off while driving 70 mph down the road.

So for that reason alone, long live the energy drink. I am thrilled they are common enough now that I can go into any gas station and get a huge one that is gaurunteed to keep me awake. I like the sugarfree ones though, the calories on the sugar ones are insane. And the sobe sugarfree one is pretty tasty to me.

Posts: 97 | From: Florida - USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was hoping someone would mention Bookoo energy drink. I won a sweepstakes from them and will be getting some of their stuff along with the dirt bike....
Anyone?

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I find that if I drink one Red Bull, very little happens. Drink two in quick succession, and I get a buzz going that keeps me awake.

It does work, but in high doses. And, for a lot of people, two drinks in a row is probably just not doable.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the Tab drink. Then again, I'm one of those weirdos who liked the taste of chewable vitamins. Since I have narcolepsy, I drink them when I have a meeting or a long trip to help me stay awake.
Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Anyway, what I find repugnant is when people drink gatorade or powerade like they just ran a marathon instead of sat around on their ass all day.

Wow, repugnant is a strong word. Why do you hate that so much?
I like the taste of (blue) Powerade so I will drink it sometimes, especially as it's often the only thing left in the vending machines at 7 pm when I am between classes...

I don't run marathons, either. [Razz]

Am I repugnant too?

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Like others, I only drink these things when I need to stay awake - my other alternative being hot chocolate spiked with coffee. (I hate coffee. Disguising it with hot choc is the only way I can choke it down.) I don't like cola very much either, so I don't usually resort to it for the caffiene hit.

I've never tried Red Bull, but I do like the taste of V. Since I have very little tolerance for caffiene, one can will do me nicely.

But the one time I tried a Viking Bar (like a Mars Bar, only loaded with guarana) I was a jittering mess!

--------------------
I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains - that's why I live in Melbourne, where it always bloody rains.

Posts: 632 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KaiTheInvader
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KaiTheInvader   Author's Homepage   E-mail KaiTheInvader   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm one of those who loves my energy drinks. I grew up drinking sodas (which yeah, it isn't healthy, but it's cheap) so regular amounts of caffeine don't really do anything anymore, but the energy drinks with caffeine and taurine or guarana do.

I think it really is an acquired taste in most cases, for awhile I didn't like the taste of most of them, but now I love them. especially Jagerbombs.....mmm liqourice.

As far as taste goes, if you don't like the "medicine-y/ sour" taste of say, red bull or rockstar, go for the energy drinks that have guarana instead of taurine, those are usually a lot sweeter and don't have the bitterness taurine does. The 2 best tasting ones I've had (and I've tried lots, I virtually collect them) are Vamp that you can get at Hot Topic, it's raspberry flavored, or this stuff called "Bawls" that tastes almost like a sweet version of Sprite, it's delicious, doesn't taste like a typical energy drink, and it gives you an energy boost without the jittery feeling. plus, it's fun to say "blue bawls" (it comes in a blue studded bottle.)

--------------------
Resurrection of mankind to careen in silent pace. Feeling lonely. I am the dream that nobody dreams of, but will you dream of me, and dream of eternal desire? If you dream of me, will you live for me? Will you? Will you?

Posts: 344 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I like sugar free Red Bull but I don't like regular Red Bull. It tastes to me like the cherry lip smakers that I had when I was little.

--------------------
"If you don't have anything nice to say...sit next to me"

Posts: 80 | From: Finger Lakes Region, NY | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaidenAthene
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaidenAthene   E-mail MaidenAthene   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xia:
quote:

Anyway, what I find repugnant is when people drink gatorade or powerade like they just ran a marathon instead of sat around on their ass all day.

Wow, repugnant is a strong word. Why do you hate that so much?
I like the taste of (blue) Powerade so I will drink it sometimes, especially as it's often the only thing left in the vending machines at 7 pm when I am between classes...

I don't run marathons, either. [Razz]

Am I repugnant too?

Blue Powerade is the best (besides the green). I don't like fizzy drinks and sometimes i crave for a lightly sweet drink that can go down like water, so i drink gatorade or Powerade. Working around steamers and hot food in 110 degree weather (yay for fall!) can seriously dehydrate a person.

But if i need the caffiene, i'll go for the tea. Maybe cola if i shake the fizz out.

--------------------
“We live in a society of victimization, where people are much more comfortable being victimized than actually standing up for themselves.” - Marilyn Manson
"Well, end more, your not ending enough!" - MST3K

Posts: 259 | From: Texas | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
To me, beer smells like something rotting.
Some call it fermenting, but rotting wouldn't be too off from what it happening to the grain in the beer [Smile]

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ertceps
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ertceps     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MapleLeaf:
quote:
To me, beer smells like something rotting.
Some call it fermenting, but rotting wouldn't be too off from what it happening to the grain in the beer [Smile]
I like to tell people that alcohol is yeast pee

Yeast eats sugar and releases alcohol as a waste product so that's correct but most people don't like to think of it that way [Big Grin]

Posts: 100 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
liebeslied

Icon 212 posted      Profile for liebeslied     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On the first day of Systems Biology, the professor said he thought that it was "silly" that yeasts are considered eukaryotes. Umm...it has a nucleus...wtf?
Posts: 105 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Did he say why he thought it was silly? I mean he had a PhD in biology didn't he? I'm sure he is aware that a yeast cell has a nucleus. Maybe he thought that other than the nucleus yeast cells behave more like bacteria so it would make sense that they be considered prokaryotes.(note: I am not saying that this is the case. I made this up. I'm just asking if there was a reason given.)

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by liebeslied:
On the first day of Systems Biology, the professor said he thought that it was "silly" that yeasts are considered eukaryotes. Umm...it has a nucleus...wtf?

I say wtf too. Ask for your money back.

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Quantum Leap
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Quantum Leap   E-mail Quantum Leap   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone know anything about Full Throttle energy drink?
There is suppose to be one that has Gobi berries, grown in the Himalayas, in it. Wonder how many sherpas it took to gather those. And how many are in one drink....1? 1/2 ? 5?

George Segal comes to mind...is it his energy drink?

Posts: 24 | From: Bridge City, Texas | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The ingredients list on the Full Throttle website do not mention Gobi berries.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FullMetal

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FullMetal   E-mail FullMetal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
red bull was never illegal in canada, just not imported from the States. (US Red Bull in those tiny cans is garbage, try real Red Bull from Thailand...) you just had to go to Chinatown to get it and it wasn't that well known. Labels are in Thai, and come in a little brown glass bottle, and tastes better than the US red bull, less chemically...

but Jaeger bombs ARE the bomb. if I have one, I know i'm gonna be drunk by nights end. once I had 3 in a row, while sitting... felt fine. stood up... ohhhhhhhhh. thats when it hits ya.

Posts: 153 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We got the Bookoo energy drinks. A case of their shots (small cans). They are citrus and I didn't notice any effect. But then I drink Diet Coke all day long, so I wouldn't notice a caffine increase much. My husband drinks them at 5:00 in the morning to help wake up, but he hasn't noticed that much of a energy increase.
The taste wasn't too bad. I have had worse...

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel With Wax Wings   E-mail Angel With Wax Wings   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate coffee too, never touch the stuff. I had a red bull once and couldn't finish it. Although there was this energy drink I used to get, it was called "Energy" and I thought it tasted fine. But like most of you I get too jittery when I drink those. I have a friend who downs Monster energy drinks like they are water and ON TOP of that he drinks coffee all day....Weird.

~Monica

--------------------
"Run for five minutes? Why don't you just shoot me now?"--Comic Book Guy (Simpsons)

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone tried the new energy drink called Cocaine? I wonder how the company that makes it got the go ahead to name their drink after an illegal drug?

--------------------

Posts: 80 | From: Finger Lakes Region, NY | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara
I Saw Three Shipments

Has anyone tried the new energy drink called Cocaine? I wonder how the company that makes it got the go ahead to name their drink after an illegal drug?

--------------------

vanilla
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vanilla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Shhhh! It's not named after an illegal drug, it's named after one of the ingrediants!

--------------------
I swear, it was funnier in my head.
Yeah, I used to be pink. vanilla_pink.

Posts: 2493 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm

Icon 86 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Midgard_Dragon:
quote:
I hate coffee
A fellow coffee hater? I didn't know there were any more out there!

ETA - Now if only I can find some fellow tea haters!

I don't like coffee either; in fact my late father was the only coffee drinker in my immediate family.

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 24 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Heathens! The whole lot of you! [Razz]

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm

Icon 05 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Of what use is taurine to a human? I looked over the ingredients of one those drinks not so long ago and noticed that one of them was taurine. [Confused] I thought only cats needed that.

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages