snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » Help save Wal-Mart! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Help save Wal-Mart!
Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evil_eyes:

Now alot of people who were unemployeed are employed. I can't cite the unemployment rate of that town, but I can assume that over 30% of the people living there were unemployeed. There was not alot of job oppertunities until Wal-mart and Home Depot built stores there. So I am of the mind set that in some cases it is a very good thing that Wal_mart will build in a small town.

E*E [/QB]

Basically, what you are saying is that a cr@ppy job is better than no job at all?

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey Bleu:
quote:
Also because they are famous for wiping out their competition -- particularly in small towns and rural areas, where the competition is mainly small mom-and-pop stores
I think this is my least favorite argument against Wal-Mart.. Mainly because this one is left squarely in the hands of the people.

They have the choice of paying a buck for a product a walmart, or a buck + X for the same product at Joe's Country Store.. And they choose Walmart, obviously, otherwise the store wouldn't succeed... So the entire decision of who succeeds (walmart of "mom and pop stores") is left in the hands of the people, and they seem to choose Walmart by and large.. And yet somehow walmart is the evil one.

I have to agree with you. If the devil came and said, "I'll give you some money, and in return you'll give up your way of life, your neighborhood, and your independence," there are millions of Americans who would say, "Okay: how much?"

America, as a nation, only exists because of the efficiency of large-scale economics: it's cheaper (per mile) to build a million miles of railroad or highway than a hundred miles.

In my opinion, the biggest argument against Wal-Mart is that they are indirectly subsidized by tax money. (e.g., the employees who, having no health-care program, must go to emergency rooms for relatively minor medical problems, and who will be unable to pay for such services.)

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxKaladin   E-mail MaxKaladin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
They have the choice of paying a buck for a product a walmart, or a buck + X for the same product at Joe's Country Store..

Actually, that's not always the case. Sometimes you're buying the same identical product at either store and paying more at the mom and pop store. Sometimes, however, the mom and pop store is selling a better product than Wal-Mart, but it costs more. Unfortunately, too many people look no further than the price and the mom and pop goes out of business.

Plus there's that whole ability to operate at a loss while they drive the competition out.

Posts: 716 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Silas, as I mentioned in my post about my hometown, sometimes taxpayer money directly subsidizes Walmart- my hometown actually gave Walmart money to build a second store there.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monza305
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monza305   E-mail Monza305   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silas Sparkhammer:
In my opinion, the biggest argument against Wal-Mart is that they are indirectly subsidized by tax money. (e.g., the employees who, having no health-care program, must go to emergency rooms for relatively minor medical problems, and who will be unable to pay for such services.)

Silas

That's what annoys me most about Wal-Mart. I read somewhere (& I'll try to find a cite) that if they raised the price of a 6 pack of tube socks by just 2 cents each, they could afford health care for all their workers. They are rolling in it & they are too stingy to spread the wealth to the people who really make their stores go: the workers. Instead they are too worried about the share holders. Not to mention the horror stories about workers being forced to work overtime without overtime pay & being locked in stores overnight...

--------------------
I've got a pen in my pocket does that make me a writer?
Standing on the mountain doesn't make me no higher.
Putting on gloves don't make you a fighter.
And all the study in the world doesn't make it science. -Paul Weller

Posts: 199 | From: Kalamazoo, MI | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Simply Madeline
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Simply Madeline     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think people have a tendency to romanticize 'Mom and Pop' stores. I grew up in a rural area, in a very small town. The mom and pop stores were bleak and depressing. They sold a limited amount of shabby, dingy merchandise.

Now that I live in the city, I have access to a dazzling array of shops and boutiques, carrying unique, interesting products. I don't shop at Wal-Mart; I don't have to. I'm free to treat Wal-Mart with disdain (and I ususally do). However, if I had stayed in my home town (which still doesn't have any big box stores), Wal-Mart would seem like a shopper's paradise.

Posts: 763 | From: Chicago | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But the people couldn't do that if there were no big box stores.
Well.. Then I guess in a way this is similar to the "guns dont kill people, people kill people" argument.. People are in many places given a choice, cheaper items from Walmart (or other similar stores), or more expensive items from
"Main St. USA".. And it seems by and large they are choosing Walmart, and not just some*, but enough to drive the other stores out of business.

It dosn't matter how much they undercut the competition, people are the ones with the final say, if they truly like their small town shops more then the big corporate bullys they can simply shop at the small town shops.

*This is where the comparison between guns ends cause it only takes one or two people with a gun to cause chaos and death, but many many people must choose greed for Walmart to succeed (rhyme!).

quote:
Actually, that's not always the case. Sometimes you're buying the same identical product at either store and paying more at the mom and pop store. Sometimes, however, the mom and pop store is selling a better product than Wal-Mart, but it costs more. Unfortunately, too many people look no further than the price and the mom and pop goes out of business.
Well thats even worse then, if it were the same jar of Jiff Peanut butter but walmarts was 17 cents less you could say it was mearly greed, but if the small town shop is not only better quality then its even more greed, but ultimatly the blame is still on the people of the town, not Walmart, all Walmart did was give them a choice.

quote:
Plus there's that whole ability to operate at a loss while they drive the competition out.
Again, it dosn't matter what shady tactics Walmart does in regards to dropping prices down, the ultimate decision is still in the hands of the consumer, if they really truly love these small towns stores as so many do then they could still shop there, it woudln't matter if Walmart cut enough corners to sell Plasma screen TV's for ten bucks, you still dont *have* to shop at their store, its a choice, personal responsibility (or in this case responsibility for your town).

quote:
I think people have a tendency to romanticize 'Mom and Pop' stores. I grew up in a rural area, in a very small town. The mom and pop stores were bleak and depressing. They sold a limited amount of shabby, dingy merchandise.
I think your probobly right, to some degree.. I think it depends on the store. For example, we had a Super Walmart in the very small town I went to college in, with its own huge sporting/outdoors department, and yet a fairly small fishing/hunting store still stayed in business and did very well. Mainly because that store had the quality merchandise and more importantly staff that could actually tell you something about the product, what was best for you, what you should use for this, that or the other.. That made a difference to the people there, so they kept shopping there. If people want to keep their small town businesses, even in the shadow of a super walmart, they can, but they have to be willing to pay a little more.

I personally don't like Walmart, beyond their questionable employment practices, their stores are crowded, the people in there seem to have no concept of shopping ettiquete, there is only the slightest semblence of order to their shelving of products and their staff knows nothing about anything related to the store or its products if you need help, particularly in the electronics and sporting goods section(s).. However the fact that Walmart knows what people seem to want (cheap cheap CHEAP!) and is willing to do what it takes to give it to them just means they are smart businessmen, not that they are evil, the "evil" ones, if you want to call it that, are the people who are partaking knowing (at this point) good and well what the inevitable consequences will be.

-Mike

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Monza305:
That's what annoys me most about Wal-Mart. I read somewhere (& I'll try to find a cite) that if they raised the price of a 6 pack of tube socks by just 2 cents each, they could afford health care for all their workers.

It might be true. A 1% increase in sales would provide about $1,800 per employee added revenue.(1) That works out to be about $150 a month for health insurance. I'm not sure what kind of insurance you could get for $150 a month though.

quote:
They are rolling in it & they are too stingy to spread the wealth to the people who really make their stores go: the workers.

Wal-Mart made 3.5% profit in FY 2006 (1). While nice profit, that is far from rolling in it. In FY 2005, Target made 4.5% profit (2).

quote:
Instead they are too worried about the share holders.
Business exists to repay money invested. If the investors did not receive money, they would find somplace else to invest in.

quote:
Not to mention the horror stories about workers being forced to work overtime without overtime pay & being locked in stores overnight...

That is illegal and should be prosecuted.
1. Wal-Mart Annual Report
2. Target Annual Report

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxKaladin   E-mail MaxKaladin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
It might be true. A 1% increase in sales would provide about $1,800 per employee added revenue.(1) That works out to be about $150 a month for health insurance. I'm not sure what kind of insurance you could get for $150 a month though.

Well, with their vaunted bargaining power...
Posts: 716 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my favorite bloggers has written a fabulous rebuttal.

He sounds like snopester material to me...

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Evil_eyes
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evil_eyes   Author's Homepage   E-mail Evil_eyes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elkhound:
quote:

Now alot of people who were unemployeed are employed. I can't cite the unemployment rate of that town, but I can assume that over 30% of the people living there were unemployeed. There was not alot of job oppertunities until Wal-mart and Home Depot built stores there. So I am of the mind set that in some cases it is a very good thing that Wal_mart will build in a small town.

E*E

Basically, what you are saying is that a cr@ppy job is better than no job at all? [/QB]
For them yes, these people may or may not have graduated high school, I am going to assume that most have graduated high school. There are really are not job opportunities in that town unless you drive 45 minutes to a bigger city and depending on the person they just can't afford that. I would assume that there is a high welfare rate in that town as well but I think that is due to various reasons.

E*E

--------------------
"Taking all the pain I give you
Loving blindly in return
And I need you more than ever"
WWW.Myspace.com/E_E2000

Posts: 1243 | From: Northern VA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm

Icon 09 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What this group needs is something out of the Music Man: Oh we've got trouble--yes we've got trouble--oh we've got trouble, yes we've got trouble, with a capital T and that rhymes with G and that stands for gay (that stands for gay!)

Dawn--trouble trouble!)

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
^I've never seen Dungeons & Dragons stuff at Wal-Mart. Wonder if it's cheaper than at Barnes & Noble?

Are you CERTAIN that savewalmart.com isn't a joke? It sounds almost like a bunch of snopesters took every ridiculous far-right claim and stuck them on one website.

I would also like to add that the site misuses the term "politically correct."

Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moonfall86:
^I've never seen Dungeons & Dragons stuff at Wal-Mart. Wonder if it's cheaper than at Barnes & Noble?

I've NEVER seen a Wal-Mart carry it, at least not the dice and game materials. I think they occasionally get some of the paperback novels and D&D card games, but not the RPG stuff.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archie2K

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Monza305
Not to mention the horror stories about workers being forced to work overtime without overtime pay & being locked in stores overnight...

My experience tells me that this is more likely to happen because you have an arse of a manager, rather than being official company practice. I would guess that if such a thing was reported to the HR department then the managers concerned with such acts would be disciplined. Those managers are likely counting on most people not being willing to put up such a fuss.

It is illegal and should be treated as such.

I've heard such horror stories from family owned independent stores too.

One of the joys of WalMart is its convinience. I work a huge number of hours a week (combine work and college and I'm over 50hours, every week) and so I'm not available to pop down to the independent greengrocers, bakers, butchers etc. with their short opening hours. Instead I'm the person who runs into the local suermarket on a Friday or Saturday evening half an hour before closing time where I know I can get everything I need in one go.

My local town has a supermarket. It moved in and indeed some of the independent businesses closed. The supermarket was popular and successful and brought in jobs. I was happy with it. It's a nice supermarket with a coffee bar. I believe that some of the berating of the supermarket is middle class guilt.

Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Open Mike Night
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 200 posted      Profile for Open Mike Night     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The American Family Association is claiming victory in the boycott of Wal-Mart

quote:
You have made a difference! Wal-Mart has announced it "will no longer make corporate contributions to support or oppose controversial issues unless they directly relate to their ability to serve their customers." AFA is pleased with this announcement.

Wal-Mart made the announcement Tuesday afternoon.

In response to Wal-Mart's statement, AFA has decided to cancel its efforts of encouraging people to not shop at Wal-Mart or Sam's Club this Friday and Saturday.

We believe that Wal-Mart will remain neutral in cultural battles.

Wal-Mart's Statement:

quote:
Respect for the individual is one of the core values that have made us into the company we are today. We take pride in the fact that we treat every customer, every supplier and every member of our individual communities fairly and equally.

We are working hard to make our corporate contributions reflect the values of our customers, communities, and associates. As Sam Walton said, “Each Wal-Mart store should reflect the values of its customers and support the vision they hold for their community.

Wal-Mart will not make corporate contributions to support or oppose highly controversial issues unless they directly relate to our ability to serve our customers.

Wal-Mart does not have a position on same sex marriage and we do not give preference to gay or lesbian suppliers. Wal-Mart does have a strong commitment to diversity among our associates and against discrimination everywhere.

--------------------
On the crusade to eliminate Moral Asshattery wherever it exists
Member: AAMAH

Posts: 2940 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
HollowMan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HollowMan     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MaxKaladin:
quote:
They have the choice of paying a buck for a product a walmart, or a buck + X for the same product at Joe's Country Store..

We discussed something like this in Accounting and Economics classes. The reasoning was that Wal-Mart's quality was far enough behind its competitors, that even if the two items were similar, the difference in quality essentially made them two different products.

--------------------
Heisenberg may have slept here.

I got an idea... an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about.

Posts: 291 | From: Greenville, SC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Is there any evidence that a new Wal-Mart will operate with extra-low prices, running at a deliberate loss until they drive out competition, at which point they raise prices back to the point where they make money? Because this would be a prosecutable offense if so.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Is there any evidence that a new Wal-Mart will operate with extra-low prices, running at a deliberate loss until they drive out competition, at which point they raise prices back to the point where they make money? Because this would be a prosecutable offense if so.
Prosecutable? How so?

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RLobinske
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RLobinske   E-mail RLobinske   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HollowMan:
quote:
quote:

We discussed something like this in Accounting and Economics classes. The reasoning was that Wal-Mart's quality was far enough behind its competitors, that even if the two items were similar, the difference in quality essentially made them two different products.
Something interesting I noticed while shopping for some power tools several years ago. The low-end products were cheaper at Walmart, but many of the higher end products were more expensive at Walmart. They appear to be using the common retailer practice (and many, many places do this) of discounting common items and slightly increasing the price on higher end items. I assume on the idea that customers come in for the cheaper common goods and pay the higher prices for other goods out of convenience.
Posts: 296 | From: Crawfordville, Florida | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus

It depends. Wal-Mart gets many imported goods, so Title 15 > Chapter 2 > Subchapter VI > § 72 applies. It prevents selling goods for less than market value in order to monopolize trade. It is a misdemeanor and any other company injured can sue to recover damages.

There are also civil penalties available for antitrust violations.

According to the DOJ, some anti-trust violations can be punished as felonies with a maximum coorporation penalty of $10M. It doesn't say that the alleged Wal-Mart practices would be covered under that, but I would imagine they are similar. Also, it says that:

quote:
An unlawful monopoly exists when only one firm controls the market for a product or service, and it has obtained that market power, not because its product or service is superior to others, but by suppressing competition with anticompetitive conduct.
As lowering prices so low that the company loses money in order to drive out smaller competitors is one of the reasons that the Sherman Antitrust Act was written, I would imagine that it would be amoung one of the anticompetative acts.

--------------------

AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

GenYus, when studying alternative dispute resolution/mediation, I learned a very interesting fact: a Circuit City employee is not, as a funciton of his/her employment, involved in interstate commerce.

After I learned that, I learned that I really do not understand trade law at all.

But, are monopolies localized? For example, if Wal*Mart did operate a store in Pahrump, NV, for example, at an overall loss in order to drive out other competition in town, would that particular Wal*Mart be a monopoly? Because that doesn't seem likely to me.

--------------------

GenYus

quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:
GenYus, when studying alternative dispute resolution/mediation, I learned a very interesting fact: a Circuit City employee is not, as a funciton of his/her employment, involved in interstate commerce.

I think any suit or prosecution would be aimed at the board of directors or executives of a company, not the little guys.

quote:
But, are monopolies localized? For example, if Wal*Mart did operate a store in Pahrump, NV, for example, at an overall loss in order to drive out other competition in town, would that particular Wal*Mart be a monopoly? Because that doesn't seem likely to me.
I would agree that it is not likely if one Wal-Mart location does it. But if multiple locations of Wal-Marts were doing it, especially if they were in different states, then it could be argued that Wal-Mart the corporation was trying to control the market.

--------------------

MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

quote:
Originally posted by Astra:
quote:
Originally posted by moonfall86:

I've NEVER seen a Wal-Mart carry it, at least not the dice and game materials. I think they occasionally get some of the paperback novels and D&D card games, but not the RPG stuff.
I hardly go to Wal-Mart, but I know it's available from their website. I provided a link.

In any case, I was just making a joke.

AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:

I think any suit or prosecution would be aimed at the board of directors or executives of a company, not the little guys.

Actually, the case dealt with one of the employees suing Circuit City, but there was a binding arbitration clause in his/her employment agreement. Such arbitration is, according to some federal law about arbitration I cannot recall at the moment, not applicable to certain segments of employees, including sailors and those who engage in interstate commerce. It was SCOTUS (I think) who ruled that it applied to sailors engaged in interstate commerce, and not just employees engaged in interstate commerce.

Like I said, it was that case that made me trow up my hands at ever understanding trade law.

quote:
quote:
I would agree that it is not likely if one Wal-Mart location does it. But if multiple locations of Wal-Marts were doing it, especially if they were in different states, then it could be argued that Wal-Mart the corporation was trying to control the market.
But it isn't likely that would be possible, since most states have at least one metropolitan-ish area in which there is more than one super-retailer.

--------------------

MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

quote:
quote:

If they're going to do something like that, they'll change products around. Instead of cutting the price of Brand X coffee filters and raising it again later, they'll just also stock Brand Y coffee filters at an extra-low price for a while and then go back to just Brand X (or change Brand Y to more-expensive Brand Z). A lot of their stock will remain the same, but if they have enough switching in each "department" it will create a buzz that brings people into the store. That allows them to simply claim they were stocking loss-leaders instead of doing anything illegal.

They can also operate at a loss by keeping their normal "everyday low prices" but spending extra on overhead to create a better shopping experience while they're in competition with the local businesses. Typically, the thing local businesses use to try to compete with big chains is service. By pumping money into a store, Wal-Mart can work to offset that. Once they've run the competition out of business, they can cut overhead back to profitable levels.

GenYus

But is there any evidence that that is what they are doing? I agree they could be doing that, but are they?

--------------------

MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

quote:
But is there any evidence that that is what they are doing? I agree they could be doing that, but are they?

I don't know. I didn't say I had evidence they were doing it. I said they had the ability.
evilrabbit
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilrabbit   E-mail evilrabbit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elkhound:
quote:

E*E

Basically, what you are saying is that a cr@ppy job is better than no job at all? [/QB]
:unemployed university grad raises hand: Um, yes?

D&D books at Wal-Mart, eh? $56.66 for three core books? Not bad. Oh course, we already have those-- Wait...666? Who's responsible for that one?

--------------------
"My sandwich choice is uncertain, until I actually order. It's like Schrodinger's Sandwich."
"Is plutonium involved in this sandwich in any way?"
"Maybe."

Posts: 496 | From: Whitby, ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monza305
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monza305   E-mail Monza305   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Wal-Mart made 3.5% profit in FY 2006 (1). While nice profit, that is far from rolling in it. In FY 2005, Target made 4.5% profit

Right. But 3.5% of billions of dollars is a whole lot more than 3.5% of $100,000.
http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/irol/11/112761/November_Sales.pdf

That page says that for the three months ending Oct. 2006 their net income was $2.6 Billion dollars. For the year their net income was $7.6 Billion. From what I see, that is profit. That's rolling in it in my book. (I'm far from an accountant, so if I'm reading that page wrong, then by all means, please spank me).

quote:
Business exists to repay money invested. If the investors did not receive money, they would find somplace else to invest in.
You are correct sir, but I'm talking about throwing a bigger bone toward the workers that actually make that company go. Giving every worker a little raise or health insurance won't hurt their bottom line much.

--------------------
I've got a pen in my pocket does that make me a writer?
Standing on the mountain doesn't make me no higher.
Putting on gloves don't make you a fighter.
And all the study in the world doesn't make it science. -Paul Weller

Posts: 199 | From: Kalamazoo, MI | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You are correct sir, but I'm talking about throwing a bigger bone toward the workers that actually make that company go. Giving every worker a little raise or health insurance won't hurt their bottom line much.
Perhaps.. But it'll hurt it a little, and its unlikely to bring any more money in (I don't think too many people go to Walmart for the service) so why bother? I mean on an ethical/moral level sure, but clearly people are willing to invest and shop at Walmart en mass without them doing so so why shoudl they bother doing it?

The thing I like most about business is that the ability to "vote with ones dollars" is available in almost every venue.. Are there places where Walmart is literally the only place to shop? Sure there are, but those are few and far between, in most places there are other store that people could take their business too if they didn't like how Walmart ran things.. The McDonalds styrefome containers from yesteryear come to mind..

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus

quote:
quote:

I don't know. I didn't say I had evidence they were doing it. I said they had the ability.
True. But it certainly sounded like you were suggesting they were doing it.

--------------------

GenYus

quote:
Originally posted by Monza305:
That page says that for the three months ending Oct. 2006 their net income was $2.6 Billion dollars. For the year their net income was $7.6 Billion. From what I see, that is profit. That's rolling in it in my book. (I'm far from an accountant, so if I'm reading that page wrong, then by all means, please spank me).

Pure profit is the wrong way to look at a company's bottom line. Because companies vary in size, a large company spends much more money to get that money. And larger companies usually have many more stockholders to pay off. A smaller company has less stockholders. Would you rather own 100% of a company that made $1M or 0.01% of a company that made $9B. While the $9B company is "rolling it it", each shareholder actually gets less money.

Also, if a company is running at a small profit margin, it doesn't take much to have a losing year. If an average customer shops at Wal-Mart every two weeks, a single missed shopping trip would turn Wal-Mart from a profitable company to an unprofitable company.

--------------------

Steve Eisenberg
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Eisenberg   E-mail Steve Eisenberg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ThistleSmelt:
I don't think that Walmart's business practices regarding small locally owned stores can be considered fair. They have the ability to undersell and take a loss if they need to to eliminate competition.

Dare I ask for a cite? WalMart, of course, has "the ability" to do this, but they don't.

Remember that "everyday low prices" means no limited-time sales. I don't know if you fit in this category, but people with a bit more money may not realize that WalMart is often undersold by other merchants. Buy it on sale at Target, or Best Buy, or Safeway, and it likely to be cheaper than WalMart. The great thing about WalMart is that, if you are too busy to wait for a serious sale, you can buy it at WalMart without being rooked.

Example: I read an overrated WalMart bashing book a while back, and author Charles Fishman kept on bringing up salmon fillet for $4.88/lb. as a competition-killing price. But we only buy it, at the local ShopRite, when on sale. This week, it is $3.99 a pound. A few times a year, it may go down to $2.99. That's the real predatory pricing that the local fish store couldn't ever meet.

EDITED: WalMarts in my area do not include supermarkets, so the ShopRite sales are no desperate measure to compete with WalMart.

--------------------
"Hillel says yes, naturally, and Shammai says no, and Maimonides is perplexed, and what do I know?"
Julius Lester

Posts: 5780 | From: Suburban Philadelphia, Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
El Chupacabra
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for El Chupacabra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If people had unlimited funds would they continue shopping at Walmart? I seriously doubt it, people shop there cause their poor, by paying their people poorly and putting better paying companies out of buisness, and opposing unionizing for better pay, they are perpetuating a vicious cycle, where people need to shop at Walmart to get by. And this is good how...? It's not, it's teh ebil incarnate........ Sam Walton is the prophet who preps the way for the Anti Christ....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 83 | From: Southern California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages